Profile for Kate Perez > Reviews

Content by Kate Perez

Kate Perez (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Prisoners of War Season 1
Prisoners of War Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to view seaons 1 and 2 as just one ling series., 9 Aug. 2016
Firstly, I did not find series one gripping, like other reviewers seem to have. It was all a long, detailed and fascinating set-up for the extremely gripping season 2. Seondly, I cannot really see how this resembles Homeland. I have watched all the series of Homeland, Prisoners of War has a completely different feel, story and set of characters.

Prisoners of War took some patience and a while to get into, because I was expecting an intense thriller. It was, at first, the character and emotion-drive story of the wide repercussions and brutal emotional fall-out of the kinapping and hostage taking of some young soldiers. Then as series one comes to a close, it morphed into a thriller, with all sorts of sub-plots. You have to take it as a whole and be patient at first; it is well worth it. You will come to feel great affection for the rich and diverse family of characters, which are portrayed with poignant truthfulness. I liked Homeland a lot: I like love this series a lot more. It is one of the very best and most enjoyable series I have ever seen. Get your hanky out for the final episode of season 2, even if you are a tough-nut!

Prakto 8748 Clever Spring Thermal Blackout Blind 100 x 175 cm cream 3015
Prakto 8748 Clever Spring Thermal Blackout Blind 100 x 175 cm cream 3015

1.0 out of 5 stars They did not work, 14 April 2016
The instructions were poor, being in pictures only, but still acceptable and possible to understand. They come without screws supplied. Once installed, the blinds did not spring back up at all. The spring mechanism failed, I bought two blinds and neither of them worked. I have other spring blins, two from an upmarket department store, one from a large Swedish furniture store, all of which I have installed and have work efficiently for years, so this was a major disappointment. The ones from the Swedish store were considerably cheaper too. I had to return these blind and will never buy this brand again.

OXFORD SET OF 6 half a dozen PACK OF 6 DESSERT SPOONS 18/0 stainless steel, 2.5mm gauge, well balanced, elegant collection, quality cutlery.
Offered by Revelation At Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Mar. 2016
Very good spoons! Have been in dishwasher lots of times now, and have remained perfect!

Not In Your Genes: The real reasons children are like their parents
Not In Your Genes: The real reasons children are like their parents
by Oliver James

5.0 out of 5 stars Make a better world for us all, 15 Mar. 2016
This fascinating book is a popular psychology book aimed at a general, non-specialist readership. Its central thesis, based on Oliver James's lifelong work as a clinical psychologist working with children and adults who were traumatised as children, and based on a large body of evidence, is that we all need better awareness about the legacy of our childhoods and of how we were parented or not parented.

Oliver James seems to have aroused the anger of people who seem to think that mental health or disturbance is caused by people's genes. He argues in this book that by far the greatest influence on our mental well-being is what happens in our daly lives and particularly on how we were looked-after as babies and as children.

He advocates the case for us all to put the children of this world to be put first, with responsive, playful, gentle and thoughtful care, in order to create a better world for us all.

This is a fascinating and engaging read and I highly recommend it to anyone, parent or not.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2016 7:16 PM GMT

CrazyGadget® 85 Litre 85L Extra Large Colour Plastic Dustbin Garden Storage Unit Bin Clip On Locking Lid Heavy Duty - for Rubbish Waste Animal Feed etc. (Dark Green)
Offered by Keto Plastics Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, strong value bin, 25 Aug. 2015
I used it as a water container for the garden as I do not have a water tap. It is a good, strong bin. I cut a hole in it at the bottom and fitted a tap, and attached a hose. It has been very useful for keeping the garden from drought. It is also a good colour to blend in the garden, and the clasps keep debris and insects out.

The Faithful Couple
The Faithful Couple
by A. D. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars A great modern literary fiction novel about friendship, conscience and exploitation, 1 May 2015
This review is from: The Faithful Couple (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this story. It starts off as a road story when two young men entering adulthood form a friendship whilst travelling separately. They collude in a shameful act which haunts them both in the decades ahead. Neither of the main characters are particularly likeable, but that doesn't matter, it's still enjoyable, and those characters are still interesting and intricately painted. The backdrop of economic boom and bust unfolds as they mature, and their relationships with one another and with others are examined in honest detail, and also experience booms and busts. The thing I liked the most about it is that it is written from the heart, and Miller has dug-deep and demonstrates considerable honesty and authenticity in his writing. I will certainly read more of his work, and I look forward to that.

A Colder War (Thomas Kell Spy Thriller, Book 2)
A Colder War (Thomas Kell Spy Thriller, Book 2)
by Charles Cumming

2.0 out of 5 stars No characters are likeable, not even the ones you need to care about, 11 Feb. 2015
I bought this novel because I heard the author being interviewed on the radio, and I am familiar with the regions in which it is set, so it aroused my interest. Having read it, I think that while Cumming has some story-telling skills, he is very immature when it comes to building authentic characters which are likeable and which have any depth.

I only liked one character in the book (the Italian tech expert Elsa). It is important to me as a reader to really like or even to love the characters in a story, or to hate them. The primary protagonist, Thomas Kell, was delivered as a boring, sad, slightly perverted, extremely unprofessional character who wasn't even the lovable shambles or perhaps a frail genius he should have been in order to carry the large cast of half-characters in the book. I really didn't care about a single one of the people that were killed-off, in fact I disliked each one of them.

In terms of the plot, it really could have done with a few anticipated twists which never materialised.

I think that Cumming would do all us readers a favour by either crafting his characters from his heart and soul so as to bring them to life, to take some risks, or to perhaps cut out the swear-words and embarrassing, clunky, occasional erotica and turn his mind instead to the teen and young adult market, although that demographic of readers is becoming increasingly demanding these days thanks to geniuses like Eoin Colfer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2016 11:41 AM BST

Masterplug Nexus 820 115 V/230 V Dual Voltage Moulded Shaver Socket
Masterplug Nexus 820 115 V/230 V Dual Voltage Moulded Shaver Socket

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic socket, 30 Oct. 2014
The one I received wasn't a Nexus 820, it was a Knightsbridge ST8900, which is an excellent, good quality unit which conforms to current British Standards. The unit was purchased primarily to charge toothbrushes. At first I made the mistake of charging two brushes at the same time. After a few hours the unit heated up too much and went into shut-off. It was fine again after a few more hours though to cool; all in all it works well and I am very pleased with it. Just remember two things: you will need to purchase a 49mm back box for it separately AND this is powered by a spur from the lighting system, and it is therefore not designed for long use. Make sure you just charge your toothbrushes one at a time and only for short bursts. The toothbrushes (one Braun, one Philips) charge with both the 115v socket and the 230v, but it puts less strain on the unit if you use the 230v input. Make sure you get a fully qualified electrician to fit it for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2015 4:08 PM BST

More Fool Me
More Fool Me
by Stephen Fry
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars I look forward to finding out why this was ever published, 20 Oct. 2014
This review is from: More Fool Me (Audio CD)
I really adore Stephen Fry. I think he is a very talented writer, and reading between the lines (if you'll excuse the pun), a sparkly and dear human being.

I am not going to repeat the criticism of More Fool Me which lots of other readers have written here on Amazon and elsewhere, apart from to say that this is an inchoate effort. I look forward to a future Stephen Fry memoir which might explain the events which led to him allowing this early preparatory draft to be rushed out and published for all to see. There appears to have been an absence of acknowledgement from anyone involved in its publication that the many pages of yawningly boring factual diary entries which seem to be half of the book, would be of interest to anyone else, as they stand, and with only rudimentary contextualisation. This book (or at least the diary entry section) will serve to alleviate chronic insomnia.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2015 12:01 AM BST

The Children Act
The Children Act
by Ian McEwan

4.0 out of 5 stars You may not enjoy it, but it's a very good book, well-worth reading, will make you think., 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Children Act (Hardcover)
I liked this book a lot, but I didn't enjoy it very much. It wasn't a smooth read for me because of the high-brow descriptions of classical music and jazz, neither genre of music of which I know much about. They were used as a metaphor to demonstrate how the protagonist stuck rigidly to pre-determined rules and could not easily find the space to be spontaneous or free in her life or her way of thinking. I very much enjoyed the descriptions of costume, customs and life within the confines of central London-based legal life, and particularly in the Royal Courts of Justice, of which I am familiar. I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes aspect of that.

The story essentially, and successfully questions the natures of freedom and justice. Another reviewer, elsewhere, stated that "McEwan obviously loves the law", I think that is completely wrong. He demonstrates here that the law of our land is created by vulnerable human beings, is enforced by vulnerable human beings and is used as a sledge-hammer against vulnerable human beings. It is often wrong in itself or in its enactment and outcomes.

I think that McEwan has also successfully shown in this novel that, although UK family law has evolved over time to try its best to put the welfare of our children first, that it still often fails to do so; that it is still clumsly and that it needs to taken up by those that design our laws and to be completely rennovated as does the welfare of our children.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4