Profile for SimonJ > Reviews

Content by SimonJ

SimonJ "Saint"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MAIGG Best Sports Water Bottle - 17oz-- Eco Friendly & BPA-Free Plastic - For Running, Gym, Yoga, Outdoors and Camping - Fast Water Flow, Flip Top, Opens With 1-Click - Reusable with Leak-proof Lid (500ml)
Offered by MAIGG

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect water bottle, 11 Aug. 2016
I used to use a Smart Shaker which has the advantage of having two compartments for protein powder, etc. However if you don't need those compartments this is a really fantastic water bottle. I got the 500ml version which I find is perfect for me (I don't mind refilling once or twice in the gym) in terms of the size (comfortable to hold). It's very easy to fill/drink from. It does not drip/leak. Moreover it is extremely stylish.

iPad Air 2 Case, ESR® iPad Air 2 Smart Case Cover Synthetic Leather and Translucent Frosted Back Magnetic Cover with Auto Wake & Sleep Function [Ultra Slim] [Light Weight] for Apple iPad Air 2 / iPad 6 (Navy Blue)
Offered by ESR Case EU Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 19 July 2016
A really really great case at a fantastic price. When I was in the Apple store one of the tech guys saw it and then asked me for the details. It is of course far cheaper than Apple's own product.

The Triumph of the Dark: European International History 1933-1939 (Oxford History of Modern Europe)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair, 19 July 2016
A comprehensive international history of the 1930s tracing the moves by the major and minor powers in the run up to WW2. There is a lot of detail here but I felt that unlike volume 1, (The Lights that Failed) of this two part study of the interwar period, that Steiner struggled to synthesis what is surely an already huge historiography in addition to the primary sources. I also believe that unlike volume 1 there is very little new here. The only interesting nugget for me was the revelation that prior to Hitler's militarisation of the Rhineland the British Cabinet had been discussing offering this, to Hitler, as a bargaining chip as part of a general settlement of European issues. The implication is quite clear - the British government was hardly in a position to make anything more than a token protest given that they were considering validating such a move anyway. In addition in the traditional historiography, the French are presented as being willing to oppose the move provided the British did the same. Steiner, however, shows that the French were not keen to do anything and preferred to use the lack of action by the British as their excuse. Indeed this is a major theme running through Anglo-French attempts to contain Hitler in the 1930s together with the appeasers fundamental misreading of Hitler's ideological beliefs and ambitions. Steiner does draw out the other constraints on British policy in particular i.e. Japan's threat to Britain's Asian Empire but she fails to really develop the point as comprehensively as, in particular, Richard Overy has done.

50 Great Myths About Religions
50 Great Myths About Religions
by John Morreall

5.0 out of 5 stars A really really interesting book.Well worth reading., 26 April 2016
This is a really interesting book which I would recommend to anyone with even the slightest interest in religion/theology. First, of all, I should state the book is not about debunking things like biblical miracles or claims that this or that god existed. The authors leave this approach to one side. What they do do is attempt to clarify, correct or debunk misunderstandings about what certain religious texts say or do not say as well as broader religious misunderstandings and prejudices. It covers a lot of ground and you will learn a great deal about a lot of different 'religions'. I put the last word in inverted commas because one of the first myths is that non-western perspectives or philosophies of how to life such as Buddhism can be classified as 'religions' in the modern meaning of the word. I had one or two quibbles here and there (there is chapter on science for example which slightly distorts (in my opinion) the main arguments made by writers such as Richard Dawkins . For me Dawkins' main emphasis has been to use logic and science to undermine theological arguments in favour of believing in god whereas the authors focus on Dawkins' argument that religion would wither on the vine as scientific knowledge advances. The two views are clearly not identical (although may overlap) and humans may have undergone natural selection to make them more attuned to religious views (I think Dawkins has accepted something similar himself). One last thing - the authors state in the introduction that they got the idea for the book from another Wiley publication, 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology. This gets very good reviews on Amazon and I shall be getting a copy soon.

Vorgee Missile Clear Lens
Vorgee Missile Clear Lens
Offered by Allens of Kingsbury Swimwear

4.0 out of 5 stars Good anti-fogging qualities, 26 April 2016
This review is from: Vorgee Missile Clear Lens (Misc.)
I've been having a lot of problems with my swimming goggles steaming up as I swim. I recently bought a couple of new pairs of Speedo's which both steam up after about 8 lengths of my pool (200m). Also all the Speedo's (in the shop at least) seem to be tinted or mirrored which just exacerbates the problem of not being able to see where you are going. Aside from the claustrophobic feeling that comes from clouded vision it also increases the risk of straying into another swimmer's path. I bought these rather speculatively hoping they might be better but unsure given the low price. I have to say I have been very pleasantly surprised. I have swam in them twice (1km+ each time) in the pool and there was no fogging at all. I would have given them 5 stars but they are not quite as comfortable as the Speedo's. Perhaps they could upgrade the design and/or license their anti-fogging technique to Speedo's?! Overall, however, these are my preferred goggles (for now at least).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2016 6:18 AM BST

8 Gillette Fusion Proglide blades up to 26 weeks shaving 100% Genuine(Imported)
8 Gillette Fusion Proglide blades up to 26 weeks shaving 100% Genuine(Imported)
Offered by catherinesss3

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm..., 16 Feb. 2016
Something funny going on here. These only last 7-10 days whereas the ones I purchased in the UK last up to a month each.

Mozo Microsoft Lumia 950 Qi Wireless Charging Back Cover Case with NFC - White/Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars A hit, 11 Feb. 2016
This is not cheap but I think really worth buying if you have a Lumia 950. I actually think this is a good looking phone anyway, in contrast to most reviews. However the Mozo cover takes it to another level. Most importantly the cover makes the phone much more comfortable to hold and the buttons really feel premium (not sharp edged as the original buttons were).

'10 Sheet of Mix Designer' Soft touch Foiled Christmas, Birthday new year, congratulation, open Gift wrapping paper
Offered by Shop Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, 9 Feb. 2016
Good quality at a decent price.

Microsoft Lumia 950 5.2-Inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Microsoft Lumia 950 5.2-Inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Offered by Kikatek

1.0 out of 5 stars Two months - worse and worse, 9 Feb. 2016
I wrote a review on here after three days of ownership. At the time I rated the Lumia 950 with 4 stars. I now want to update my review having used the phone extensively.
As I said in my original review the initial set-up of the phone was problematic (difficult to remove the back cover, poor set of instructions – I needed to start up the phone without inserting the SIM card to get it to work which is the opposite of the guidance the instructions gave (I did try that initially), etc). In terms of how the phone looks I stand by my initial impression that the phone and operating system set the Lumia 950 apart from the opposition. I also bought a Mozo back cover which made the phone more comfortable to hold/use (less pointy buttons, etc).
However I all of this has been completely outweighed by actually using the phone over the last two months. Let me explain a number of significant problems:
(1) Keyboard – is very difficult to type on. I have repeatedly hit the digital windows icon when pressing the space bar (my previous phone –Samsung Ativ-S had a physical windows button so this was never a problem). This then takes me back to the metro screen. Note I am not a clumsy typer (I touch type on a keyboard). In addition swyping does not work. You can try it but it misses out some words completely and mistranscribes others. Pretty ironic as I read recently that Microsoft bought one of the companies that provides this technology.

(2) Copy & Paste – another basic software feature that only works some of the time. I’ve tried copying from a website (say to get a number) but then the paste icon does not appear when I try to paste it.

(3) Email – I hate the combined email account (personal and work) as it means that when an email comes through you cannot tell easily if it’s work or personal. During the evening and at the weekend I only wish to look up personal emails. Another feature that works less well in Windows 10 as compared to Windows 8.1 is the sizing when trying to read an email. Also when I turn the phone to landscape hoping to read an email more easily a sidebar pops out to cover half the screen. As far as I can see there is no way to turn this off.

(4) Groove Music – does not work. I added one album using WMP and I know it loaded up as the album cover/artist showed on my phone but the album is nowhere to be seen. Windows needs iTunes and it needs it badly.

(5) Lockscreen – again it’s inferior to Windows 8.1. I’d like to display the weather plus my calendar but can only show the latter. Notifications in general are poorer on Windows 10.

(6) The Iris scanner does not work properly so has to remain off.

(7) Battery life is average but charging is super quick.

(8) The camera is extremely good.

(9) Apps – I am noticing more and more apps that would be useful for me that are not there – banks/finance, travel, etc. I know this is an ongoing thing with the Windows platform but it grates more when the phone’s basic functionality (aside from the very good camera) is so poor as I have noted above.

All in all this is a disappointment. I much preferred my Samsung Ativ-S and the Windows 8.1 software.

The World According to Anna
The World According to Anna
by Jostein Gaarder

1.0 out of 5 stars Very weak, 24 Jan. 2016
Wow. Such a disappointment. I was really looking forward to reading this having been given it as a present. Comparing this to Sophie's world is like comparing a slice of bread to a five course banquet. It reads like it was written in the space of a week at most. The prose is bland and the characters are completely wooden. The characters just do not ring true (as one of the other reviewer's pointed out) especially the psychiatrist. The story itself is basically a rant for action against climate change but there are so few facts here that it really is not a good starting point for anyone interested in the subject. Gaarder himself knows little about the subject and makes several egregious mistakes i.e. the decline in the bee population has nothing to do with global warming but rather has been driven by intensive agricultural techniques, pesticides, etc. Also polar bears are unlikely to become extinct through climate change as they have existed for around 600,000 years i.e. they have survived previous periods when temperatures were much higher than today (they change their range - moving further north during warmer periods). Also although arctic ice has declined, antarctic ice is acutally expanding. Also irritating was Gaarder's view that (some) terrorism was caused by environmental factors (terrorists as environmental campaigners. He also advocates more immigration into Norway. And the rich they caused most of the problems - does Gaarder not consider that with a more equal distribution of income, global consumption would actually be much higher than it is today? The rich save a significant portion of their income whereas lower income groups spend more. Gaarder does little to propose any actual measures to combat animal extinction except games/lotteries. Actually species extinctions are more caused by destruction of habitats, poaching, etc than anything to do with global warming). The only vaugely interesting thing was Anna's name - Anna Nyrud - which is a near anagram of Ayn Rand the free-market philosopher/apostle. Ironic of course because Gaarder is seeking to present the opposite case but fails lamely.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4