Profile for julesbee > Reviews

DUNLOP WIDE-CALF HALF-HEIGHT WELLIES GREEN. SIZES 4-12UK
DUNLOP WIDE-CALF HALF-HEIGHT WELLIES GREEN. SIZES 4-12UK
Offered by Yarmo Group

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly as described, 22 Feb. 2016
Good sturdy wellies that arrived on time

The Ice Cream Girls
The Ice Cream Girls

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - do not read this and watch the TV adpatation at the same time!, 8 Sept. 2013
I made a fundamental error when I read this book, I watched the first in the TV adaptation of The Ice Cream Girls, came across the book whilst browsing and read it in almost one sitting then watched the rest of the TV series. A foolish mistake. I became quite confused about what I had read and watched and came to the conclusion that the TV version was actually more interesting. Now I rarely say that about any TV adaptation of a book and I think to do this book justice I will wait for some time to pass and then read it again. I think it was a clever, well written book but the screenwriters had done their usual trick of totally changing some quite crucial parts of the book, for example the relationship between Poppy and her family and the link between the story and the programme became quite confusing and disjointed. That said the premise of 2 young girls being taken advantage of and manipulated was extremely well written, the characters credible and likeable and the story line whilst troubling was also quite fascinating. The moral - do not read a book while watching the TV version

The Sunne in Splendour
The Sunne in Splendour

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb historical fiction, 7 Sept. 2013
As an avid fan of Philippa Gregory and her books about the Tudor dynasty, I bought this book hoping it might be as enjoyable - and I wasn't disappointed. This is a superb book that informed and entertained all in one sitting. I love the Tudors, they were bright, brash and glorious but strangely I had never thought to read of their beginnings - with the death of Richard and the crowning of Henry Tudor. So this was a whole new period of history for me - and I found it fascinating. Edward, the romantic, charming man who won the hearts of his people, his beautiful wife, who somehow never won any hearts but his, the irresponsible and disenchanted middle brother George and the ever serious Richard alongside the Warwicks, the kingmaker himself and his unfortunate daughters. I felt as though I knew them all personally and immediately turned to my second favourite site, Wikipedia, to find out how much of this tale was based in truth. I came to the conclusion that the much maligned Richard was in fact the subject of an amazing smear campaign launched by the Tudor family, an very successful campaign that turned him into a figure of hatred for centuries. It will also make me pay much more attention to the next documentary that comes along about the fate of the Princes in the Tower. It had all the necessary component of a successful historical novel - lots of facts laced with a liberal dose of artistic license. Maybe without the vaguely lustful content of Gregory's Tudors but a wonderful book and highly recommended for any Philippa Gregory fans

A Life for a Life: (Parish & Richards #1)
A Life for a Life: (Parish & Richards #1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A happy find, 7 Sept. 2013
I will be quite honest - I bought this book because it was free and because I couldn't decide what to read next but I'm so glad that I did! I've since bought several more books by Tim Ellis and become quite a fan. Okay it's not perfect. It seems to be a typical product of self publishing, a few grammatical errors and other mistakes but unless these appear in every sentence you do need to get over this and concentrate on the story - which was entertaining, kept me reading far too late into the night and made me want to read more in the series. The relationship between the dry humour of DI Parish and the fresh faced somewhat naive Mary was light hearted and a pleasant change from the dour characters often found in many crime novels. The dialogue was a little repetitive in places but again it wasn't anything that couldn't be overcome. The story and the relationships it told did move on at a pace but again that's not necessarily a criticism, just a pleasant change and the crimes were appropriately gritty. Overall I thought it was a good read and evidenced by the fact I now have at least 4 of the Parish and Richard's books sitting on my Kindle.

The Yorkshire Pudding Club
The Yorkshire Pudding Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 7 Sept. 2013
This was my first Milly Johnson book - but it wasn't my last! I've already read several more of her books and would safely say I am now a Milly Johnson addict. I almost didn't buy it, thinking it would be the same old story but I decided to give it a go and I wasn't disappointed. Basically 3 friends all find themselves pregnant and as often happens in life, each has a very different reation to the news. The story is about how their lives changed, how they cope with the impending new arrival and the support they give each other. It shows the impact this kind of news can have on a relationship and the shock that can come with an unexpected pregnancy in a story that is strong, emotional and extrememly readable. The characters are really well developed and likeable and the chemistry between the 3 women brought a depth often missing in this genre of book. I love books which give a little glimpse of what happens after the story finishes - which this book did and which left me with a big goofy smile on my face! It's lovely read but have a box of tissues to hand.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! A superb physiological thriller told in a fascinating way from both sides of the drama that is unfolding. The format got me hooked right from the start and as the story developed it became almost impossible to stop reading. And just as I started to get a little fidgety and needing more - we switched to telling the story from Amy's point of view, superb timing. I had sort of worked out what was going on at this point and I was a little disappointed in the end. I'm a need justice kind of a person and I really had a hunger for justice at the end of this book..... I would love a sequel showing how that could come about!

The White Princess (Cousins War Series Book 5)
The White Princess (Cousins War Series Book 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing characters but fascinating period, 6 Sept. 2013
Having loved Philipa Gregory's books about the Tudors I was delighted to find a whole new series based on the reign of the Plantagenet's and the founding of the Tudor dynasty. But for some reason it's just not engaging me. I did join half way through with The White Queen but didn't actually finish this book - an unheard of occurrence for me but the recent TV series rekindled my interest and I decided to treat myself to The White Princess. I have to qualify this and say that in the meantime I read Sunne in Splendor by Sharon Penman - a superb book which told the story of Edward and Richard and the Princes in the Tower, a whole new era for me. So I picked up The White Princess with a little background knowledge and a great deal of anticipation. But I found the characters disappointing to say the least. Henry seemed nervous, easily influenced, paranoid and his handling of the whole imposter prince issue seemed so inept I'm surprised he survived the incidence! Elizabeth seemed ineffectual and unsure with no influence whatsoever and I find it hard to believe that these 2 people launched the start of one of the most famous families in British history. I was surprised at the inference of a relationship between Elizabeth and Richard so did a little research and found that is a recognized possibility although tenuous. But I don't object to this - after all this is historical fiction and license is allowed and even expected. But I also found in my research that Henry and Elizabeth were commonly believed to have had a happy and successful marriage and Henry did bring a great deal of stability to the country, at least until nearing the end of his reign and I wish the book had given more of a flavour of this rather than presenting two quite desperate people who didn't seem quite sure how they felt about each other. One point in its favour - although somewhat helped by also reading Sunne in Splendor, is that I now have a completely different view of Richard 111 who I feel was undoubtedly the victim of a sleaze campaign!
In summary not a bad book but a little weak and at this point I'm not sure I would read any more in this series.

Inheritance: Book Four (The Inheritance cycle 4)
Inheritance: Book Four (The Inheritance cycle 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the mindnumbingly same., 26 Dec. 2011
A frustratingly unaccomplished Hero, who fails to overcome the real enemies, whom sooner or probably much later he must surely find a way to best. Christopher Paolini is a great wordsmith, often taking the trouble to prove just how many words he can use when a simple phrase would have been explanation enough. If his brief was to make a a 200 page story stretch out to 500, then he achieved his goal. Please Christopher, get on with making Eragon the Hero he should surely be by this point in your four books. I continue to read out of a sense of duty to the main characters, no longer for the joy of it.

Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior (PS2)
Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire warrior the new quake, 26 Sept. 2003
Games workshop's long awaited and most recent shot at bringing those little plastic models to life, is a cosmos away from their last fairly floored attempt.
The action is first person shoot'em up style, and yes it has all been done before, however the intriguing thing about fire warrior is the background which you can get to accompanies the game. Simon Spurrier has written a 400 page novel called "Fire Warrior" published by the Black Library, G W's companion publishers. You can buy, paint and enact the battles and fully immerse yourself in the "Codex" (rulebook). Then to top it all you can play the game and see it all come to life in full gory detail, before you very eyes. Its a heart pumping ear pounding senses jerking realisation of that movie you had in your head when you played the game or read the book.
Could this be the next game after Resident Evil to hit the big screens? I for one hope so.
J Butterfield