Profile for Kevin Horton > Reviews

Content by Kevin Horton

Kevin Horton

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Toshiba HDTB105EK3AA 500GB Stor.E Basics USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Value_Deal

2.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 500GB USB Disk Drive, 22 Sept. 2014
I purchased this USB drive with the hope of using it in conjunction with a smart TV to store HD programmes. The instruction leaflet was very brief but referred the user to a user guide contained as a PDF file on the drive. Knowing that smart TVs insist on reformatting new USB drives, I connected it to my PC to retrieve the user manual and any other important files. I found that all the files on the drive (excepting Autorun.inf) were corrupted and could not be read. In fact viewing the files in a Hex Editor showed they all contained unreadable characters throughout (0xFF hexadecimal). I ran Windows Chkdsk on the drive and it came up with many errors in sectors and indexes. It may well have worked with the TV after re-formatting, but with no user guide readable and such uncertainty over the drive's reliability at the start of its life I returned it to Amazon and they are currently processing my refund.

Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side A
Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side A
Offered by Fosseway Tapes & Fixings Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape, 22 Sept. 2014
The tape sticks very well and I found after sticking, it was still possible to remove it intact if needed for re-positioning - this might not be true after sometime. I purchased the tape to allow some Perspex (3mm thick, 50 cm sq approx) to be attached to a TV cabinet and easily removed when needed thus avoiding all the problems of hinges, drilling, sliding track etc. With a strip at the top and the bottom of the Perspex I found it held very firm. Having its matching component "Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape Side B" helped considerably as the attraction between the two types of tape is much greater and it also 'locks' into position when the two tapes are placed together. The magnetism outside of the tapes once placed together is very weak so unlikely to affect electronics unless placed very close. I have duplicated this review for its matching pair, “Side B”

My only negative remark is that the tape came in two unlabeled sealable plastic bags from the supplier. As such I have no way of knowing which is "Side A" type and which is "Side B" type for if I wish to order more of a particular type. One tape has a fine groove running through its magnet surface, the other does not; so they are clearly distinguishable but which is "A" and which is "B"?

Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side B
Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side B
Offered by Fosseway Tapes & Fixings Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape, 22 Sept. 2014
The tape sticks very well and I found after sticking, it was still possible to remove it intact if needed for re-positioning - this might not be true after sometime. I purchased the tape to allow some Perspex (3mm thick, 50 cm sq approx) to be attached to a TV cabinet and easily removed when needed thus avoiding all the problems of hinges, drilling, sliding track etc. With a strip at the top and the bottom of the Perspex I found it held very firm. Having its matching component "Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape Side A" helped considerably as the attraction between the two types of tape is much greater and it also 'locks' into position when the two tapes are placed together. The magnetism outside of the tapes once placed together is very weak so unlikely to affect electronics unless placed very close. I have duplicated this review for its matching pair, “Side A”

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars UHF TV Signal Finder, 1 Nov. 2013
This device proved to be very useful in finding the optimum position for placing an indoor aerial in the roof and also for determining the signal loss I was experiencing in the coax cables leading to the television.
The item is light which is good when getting into awkward positions to adjust an aerial, but it would benefit from having an optional clip on the back which could leave both hands free when needed. The main problem I encountered was that the LEDs were not shielded from each other inside the case and consequently it was difficult to tell sometimes how many LEDs were lit. I am not certain if the instrument is supposed to display partially lit LEDs, but often they looked that way. I think some plastic shielding inside round each LED would fix that problem. A minor point is that the battery rattles around in the case; maybe a bit of foam plastic in the battery compartment would give a more professional feel to the device.

InterDesign Power Lock Plastic Bar Soap Holder for Bathroom Shower - Clear
InterDesign Power Lock Plastic Bar Soap Holder for Bathroom Shower - Clear

3.0 out of 5 stars PowerLock Soap Dish, 4 Oct. 2013
The dish looks nice and appears well made, but has problems:
1. The main problem is that it does not hold to the wall for long. After looking at other reviews, I thought maybe the surface was not right or the suction cup had not been pressed hard enough before hinging down the tray to apply the suction. However, although the tiles are very smooth and shiny, I wet the surface first and press hard, the tray does not stay on for more that 2 or 3 days. It usually detaches in the night with a crash as the soap and tray hit the wash basin!
2. When applying it to the wall with the tray raised, it is not easy to position it in a way so that the tray will be level when it is hinged down for use.
3. For some reason (I'm not certain what), the soap does not drain very well and soap sludge accumulates very quickly.

I think the only way to ensure it stays on the wall is to use a dab of silicone sealer, but that somewhat defeats the object of a removable soap dish. I would not really recommend this product.

Epson Expression Home XP30 Compact Single Function Printer
Epson Expression Home XP30 Compact Single Function Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Epson XP30 Printer, 17 Sept. 2013
I bought this printer to replace my aging Epson Stylus C600 whose black ink jets had passed their best. I wanted a small light printer for printing letters etc. as I already have a large Epson printer with scanner for doing the more demanding tasks. For this general purpose work I find the printer very suitable and would recommend it.

Pros:
* It’s cheap,
* It has a small footprint,
* It’s light,
* It could serve as a portable printer
* It has acceptable print quality,
* The ink cartridges for black, cyan, yellow and magenta are available separately.

Cons:
• It has no Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity built in. It can be used with a Bluetooth adapter, but then it is not possible to read the ink level status and a USB lead needs to be attached occasionally to check the ink levels.
• The fact that the genuine Epson ink costs around £10 more than the printer supplied with ink is somewhat irritating. If the printers were plentiful (and I think this is an obsolete design now), it would be cheaper just to buy a new printer each time the ink was used up.
• It does not feel solidly made.

Some points to note:

The printer is packed very close to the lid in its carton, so be careful when cutting the box open that you do not scratch the printer (like I did!)

The printer has no USB lead provided.

My printer arrived with a 2 pin-continental mains plug, so you may need to buy a replacement mains lead or adapter. The printer takes several amps, so a shaving adapter with a 1 amp fuse is not suitable.

The setup instructions are very brief. At one point after loading the ink cartridges, the instructions say: “Do not connect the USB cable until you are instructed to do so”. This is not clear as the user is not instructed as such. It appears that the user needs to watch for the green on-off switch to stop flashing before connecting the USB cable.

If the additional software is not required, it is possible to just load the driver and set it up manually by drilling down to the Setup.exe files in the driver folders (32-bit or 64 bit) on the supplied CD

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars TECEVO Bluetooth Stereo Earphones, 9 Feb. 2013
I bought these earphones for trouble free listening to music on my Galaxy S2 phone and for that I find they work fine. I haven't tried answering the phone with them yet so cannot comment on that use. The sound quality is acceptable to me, and bass notes are represented quite well considering the size of what has to produce them.
The battery seems to hold up quite well and I have listened to music all afternoon and still had power left. The connection works well for less than 5 metres with no obstructions and fully charged batteries on phone and earphones. Greater distance than that and the signal breaks up, but for most uses this would be adequate. Pairing with the phone was very easy and just required enabling the Bluetooth on the earphones and phone then requesting the phone to be visible to other devices and to do a search. After selecting the TECEVO name that comes up and you are connected. Some users have complained about rattling etc when moving with the earphones. I think the main problem is that if the yellow lead catches on anything that sound is transferred to your ears and can be quite distracting - I don't know any way round this and it could be a problem if used when running, but is no problem when sitting down. All in all I think they are a very good product and can recommend them.

Dyson DC34 Multi Floor Handheld Vacuum with Longer Run Time
Dyson DC34 Multi Floor Handheld Vacuum with Longer Run Time
Offered by JB INTL LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Dyson DC34 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner, 30 Dec. 2012
I purchased this cleaner for light dusting in the office, around the PCs, keyboards, printer etc and in general I would say it achieves that. It is handy to be able to use it quickly rather than setting up the large mains Dyson. I have not tried any other portable vacuum cleaners so it may well be the best of its type; however it does have some problems.
The cleaner only works for about 10 minutes at the most and there is no indication as to how much time is left before it will cut out. When the battery expires it simply cuts out with no warning. After that it takes around 3 hours to charge up again. The most annoying thing is that unlike most things under charge, mobile phones, cameras etc, while the DC34 is charging it is not possible to operate it so if you have just a small area of cleaning left to do you cannot complete this by running it from the adapter.
The design means that it has to be used with an outstretched arm which after a few minutes gets quite tiring (the unit weighs approx 1.3 kg). It would be nice if it could be held by a handle at the top or switched on and rested on something while cleaning was done using the extension hose that is available as an extra.
The suction seems nowhere near that of a mains Dyson vacuum cleaner and even with the "MAX" button pressed there are some areas that do not clean well and need to be done by the mains Dyson.
In summary, not a bad product but give us an indication of how much charge is left and let it be useable while plugged into the charger.

Ozeri Touch 200 KG / 440 LBS Total Body Bathroom Scale -- Measures Weight, Body Fat, Hydration, Muscle and Bone Mass with Auto Recognition and Infant Tare Technology
Offered by Ozeri UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Ozeri Touch II Bathroom Scales, 30 Dec. 2012
I am very pleased with this product. It arrived 3 days early (in time for Christmas rather than after) and was well packed. The unit looks smart and has a clear illuminated display that is easy to read. The setting up of the user profiles is a little fiddly but OK if you are careful and stick with it. It is not always easy to see what details you are editing, age, height etc. as you have to use the up/down buttons as well to select some of these items. The weighing is very precise and repeated measurements taken within a few minutes give exactly the same weight. I am not sure how accurate the weight is as I have not checked it with a known weight, but my weight shown is close to what I expect from other scales. I have found the percentage weights vary a little from day to day but are typically within 2% of the previous day's measurement. Percentage bone varies more than expected, but that is the smallest figure and is probably calculated as a percentage of what remains after other measurements have been made. I have found it is important to stand with one's feet covering the metal disks as evenly as possible to get the best results.
It is very simple to use and nice to be able to just step on for a measurement with no need to click it on and wait for it to zero. The identification of different profiles works well too. All in all I think it is a very good scale and would certainly recommend it.

Samsung Vertical Pouch for Samsung Galaxy S II - Black
Samsung Vertical Pouch for Samsung Galaxy S II - Black
Offered by Genuine Providers

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy SII Pouch, 31 Jan. 2012
I purchased this pouch because I wanted a case to protect the phone's rear camera. Flip cases often have a cut-out to allow the camera to be used quickly without removing the phone from the case but such designs fail to protect the camera lens from grit and scratches. Some cases also include a magnetic latch which is expressly warned against in the phone's instructions. The pouch seems well made and looks to be real leather. Having the Samsung brand name on it also gives confidence that the design is suited to the phone. The pouch has a smooth suede internal surface which gives just the right amount of friction to hold the phone in place. When first purchased, I found the pouch to be rather tight, but after a small amount of stretching with a ballpoint pen I found the phone fitted well. There is one small cut-out near the bottom of the case to allow sound to escape from the speaker. After a short amount of use I found the phone's speaker grills lined up well with the cut-out. Extracting the phone is easy, and is best done by applying a slight squeezing pressure to the bottom of the case and then pulling the phone out by gripping the phone's upper sides. I am very pleased with this product and would recommend it to anyone owning a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3