Profile for daisyduck1976 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Lost Daughter
The Lost Daughter

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality holiday reading., 13 April 2013
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I whizzed through this during a couple of lovely days on a sun lounger. I wasn't too sure when I started it, because it felt like the big event was at the beginning, but I was quickly hooked by the main character, Cee Cee's, first encounters with Tim. I felt I wanted to stop her because I could see something terrible was coming! I enjoyed reading about the after effects of this event and how the Cee Cee tries to move on with her life and then ultimately deal with the consequences of her actions.
It's a well-written book, up to Diane Chamberlain's usual standard.

recommended :)

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all been said before, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Like many other people, I thoroughly enjoyed this book about a man and his missing wife. I enjoyed hearing the story from both of their points of view with contradictory information being revealed. I was always wondering- what's true, who is right?

There's a twist in the middle of the book that really got me racing through the remaining pages. People have criticised the fact that the two main characters are totally unlikable. It's certainly true, but that only made me morbidly fascinated to see how it would all turn out in the end. I liked the controversial ending that others have complained about. I liked the fact that the author didn't go down the most obvious route. It definitely wasn't run of the mill.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a well-written thriller.

Emartbuy® Stylus Pack For Apple Iphone 5 Premium PU Leather Flip Case/Cover/Pouch Polka Dots Red / White + Mini Metallic Red Stylus + LCD Screen Protector
Offered by emartbuyuk

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 13 April 2013
I wasn't expecting this to be top notch given its price, and I was right. It's fine, will probably last a few months and then I'll look for something else.
It fits iPhone 5 easily and provides some protection if you drop it when it's open or closed. The stylus is pointless for most people, I would say. I threw mine away immediately.

The red polka dot pattern is very striking. Some of my polka dots had already lost bits of the white and the red was showing through when I first opened it. There is also a black mark on one edge.. The cover had already been marked by the clip magnet and where the magnet is already has some material coming away.

It will do for now and looks pretty enough, but if you are looking for a case that's going to last you, this is not it.

Update: it lasted 7 months which I suppose isn't bad. It' very faded, lots of the colour has come off and the plastic sides are all cracked and broken. When it goes, it really goes!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars US adaptor, 13 April 2013
These adapters worked perfectly to convert the US sockets in our hotel room to UK ones. They can also be given a slight adjustment to fit into Aussie plugs and adapt them to Uk ones.

The Back Road
The Back Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable thriller, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The Back Road (Kindle Edition)
This is a nice little thriller. I raced through it, really enjoying trying to work it all out. There are a host of characters all living in the same village, a mystery surrounding a hit and run, a mystery involving a stalker, as well as all sorts of goings on between each of the characters. The story centres around two sisters, very different and each dealing with difficulties from their past.

It's quite a classic style of mystery/thriller, where everyone is a suspect, they all could have some involvement, and I enjoyed that aspect of it. Many of the characters are thoroughly unlikable but, given the plot, that wasn't really a problem. I enjoyed the climax of the story, and didn't guess the person responsible until very late on. Great fun to read.

If I was to criticise anything, it would be that the stalker is given away very early by a few unnecessary words, which, if they were taken out, would keep that plot point more of a mystery. Also, occasionally the dialogue didn't really ring true.

all in all though, I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it.

Apollo Housewares mini round cast iron trivet cream
Apollo Housewares mini round cast iron trivet cream
Offered by Multi Lines

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 20 Mar. 2013
I looked high and low for a trivet like this on the high street but couldn't find one. This is perfect. It's good quality and the right size for a small dish or a teapot. The colour isn't actually cream, it's more beige or light coffee coloured, if you really want to be specific!

Wedding Cards Post Mail Receiving Box Wishing Well - in Soft White (Off White)
Wedding Cards Post Mail Receiving Box Wishing Well - in Soft White (Off White)
Offered by Seasonal Party Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 17 Mar. 2013
This was a godsend for us. We hadn't thought about what to do with all the wedding cards that were brought on the day, until a relative mentioned it. So we bought this at the last moment and it was excellent. Really easy to assemble, nice and sturdy. It was rammed full of cards by the end of the day and it stayed standing with no trouble. We didn't decorate ours in any way , as we didn't have time, but if you did want to, you could easily make it tie in with your theme.

Cellophane Forest Green Party Bags, Pack of 30
Cellophane Forest Green Party Bags, Pack of 30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bags for baked goods, 17 Mar. 2013
This is strangely listed as a toy... I used them as bags for my wedding favours and found them to be excellent. Really good quality, no splitting or breaking.

Bodum Bistro Hand Mixer - Off White
Bodum Bistro Hand Mixer - Off White
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality mixer, 17 Mar. 2013
This really is a a good electric mixer. It is perhaps a little heavier than some on the market but as long as you don't plan to mix for hours at a time, it's no problem! It runs very well and the high speeds are incredibly efficient. It's also very easy to clean.

It's a great shame that this colour is so hard to find now, as it's certainly the easiest to coordinate with your kitchen (compared to lime green, bright red or black).

Highly recommended.

And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie Collection)
And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie Collection)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I remember it, 20 Feb. 2013
I first read this as a teenager, and I remember being totally thrilled by it. I downloaded it for my Kindle, having such fond memories of it, and whizzed through it in a couple of days. My opinion of it has definitely changed.

I still think the whodunnit aspect is very good. Despite, having read it before, I didn't remember who the killer was, and I didn't guess it. What had changed for me, was that I wanted more. The characterisation was pretty poor in that I really didn't know anything about the characters, and really didn't care about them. I found the final moments between to of the characters totally odd, out of character and unbelievable. To really be a cracking read, I think the dialogue and characterisation would need some serious work.

I am a huge Agatha Christie fan and this book does deservedly have a reputation due to the innovative plot, but it's certainly not one of her best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20