Profile for Emma Shorter > Reviews

Content by Emma Shorter

Emma Shorter "kooltigger" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Sooty Christmas Special [DVD]
The Sooty Christmas Special [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect viewing - regardless of time of year, 5 Oct. 2015
Do not let the low ratings put you off - this is actually a really good DVD. The episodes may not be Christmas related, but the links in between do provide a really magical, yet humorous festive feel. The best parts to look out for are: Sweep's singing, Soo's endless wardrobe dilemma, and Sooty's bedtime. Episodes included are: Squeaky Clean, The Farm, The Great Outdoors, The Great Race (which hasn't been shown on TV since it was first broadcasted), and The Souvenir Stall. This may look like something for Christmas, but to me, its perfect viewing all year round.

Children's Ward - The Complete Series 4 [DVD]
Children's Ward - The Complete Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars It's more a question...., 22 Feb. 2013
Its nothing against the programme - I enjoyed watching it. It's great that the next series is up for release (I haven't bought any of the series yet, but I am planning to) but what I want to really ask is, according to the release date, it is New Years Eve 2019? And the age restriction (although unconfirmed) is 18 years. Are those right? If the date is right, people might get bored waiting five years for this. And if the age restriction is 18 years, was it a good idea to show it on childrens itv? I'm sure its a mistake but if it is, Amazon will need to rectify it, otherwise the information will be misleading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2013 5:13 PM GMT

The Snowman and the Snowdog [DVD] [2012]
The Snowman and the Snowdog [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hilary Audus
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Best christmas show - ever!!!!, 14 Feb. 2013
When I heard that they were creating a sequel to The Snowman to celebrate its 30 years, I couldn't wait - I m 27 years old and I had the impatience of a five year old waiting for Christmas to quickly come around. Christmas Eve came, and I was glued to the telly ready... and I loved it. I loved the different ways the music was used: from the orchestra playing as it was telling the story, switching to modern day music with Andy Burrow's Light the Night and Hometown. And what made this even more special was as animation today is through a computer, the animators went back to The Snowman's development of pencil and paper. Why can't all animations do something like that? And now, I am sitting here, again like an impatient five year old, waiting for word of the release of The Snowman and the Snowdog.

Lucky Dog (Modern Plays)
Lucky Dog (Modern Plays)
by Leo Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read - and good place to learn if taking up writing, 19 Mar. 2012
I actually got to take up scriptwriting classes with the author of the play and I absolutely loved it. I got to understand the style and concept when it come to contemporary writing for the stage, and this play for me was a good starting point from the actual writer's point of view.

Pest-Stop PR-3000 Professional  Ultrasonic and Electromagnetic Pest Repeller
Pest-Stop PR-3000 Professional Ultrasonic and Electromagnetic Pest Repeller
Offered by Brighter Image Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit up and down at the mo., 1 Nov. 2011
"For years we've had mice problems mainly in the kitchen, which had been quickly dealt with (via traps). We did afterwards buy a jml mouse repeller for the kitchen and it did help keep them at bay, until it conked out. However, although every nook and cranny has been plugged out to prevent re-entry, it didn't stop the fact that we started to hear them in the ceilings and walls (especially round my bedroom area). We did call out pest control after complaining to our housing association and they came out to inspect and they then set out poison to see if anything would take it. Nothing came which then concluded they were in the walls. Which to me wasn't good cos the scuttling and squeaking kept me awake every night and left me paranoid they were getting into my room. Hence I then bought this mouse repeller as this was guaranteed not just to drive them away from my room, but the house as well.

My verdict - at first it didn't clear them as they started scuttling even more than they normally did which did me no favours and I even had to contact the manufacture to find if the product was working as it said people with sensitive hearing could hear the ultrasonic buzzing. I was assured that even if there was no buzzing it would be working if the lights were functioning properly. And I also had to give a few weeks to allow it to take effect. Anyway, just before the weekend, I noticed it was quiet (in fact, a little too quiet). Apart from the rarely occasional scuttling (and I have kept it on continuous mode) it seems to have had some major effect as I've been able to sleep easy at nights. Which is why at the moment, as its early days and I've had it two weeks, I have given it a three star review as it has worked, yet I am waiting to see if it will effectively remove the unwanted visitors (where I will be able to deliver my proper verdict), especially as winter is drawing close..."

"This was back in November when I wrote this - and the update so far is this: I have given it an extra star for its effectiveness. The only teething problem I've had is when the device ends up unplugged, or we lose the electric and I hear the scuttling again: and for me, that is now borderline rarely to never. In order to obtain a full effect of the device, it must be kept plugged in and running at all times. It does work providing the device isn't switched off or lose the electricity it needs to run. And to people why buy this and complain a few days later that it doesn't work: you need to give it some considerable time for it to take effect."

Unfortunately, we're now into March and it has gone a bit downhill - since New Year, work had begun in the vacant house next door and we started hearing them again; and what's more, the poison that was put down for them in the loft months ago has been eaten and they've been trying to chew through boxes with no success - which is a worry as we have stuff up there that's of sentimental value. So I've gone back down one star and we're in the debating process of calling out pest control again - if in a couple of weeks they're still here, I may have to look into another rodent repeller...

The Raggy Dolls - The Complete Series Four [DVD]
The Raggy Dolls - The Complete Series Four [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neil Innes

5.0 out of 5 stars brings it all back, 6 Aug. 2011
i was thinking about the raggy dolls for some time - and was happy to come on here and see that they had been released on dvd. if you want to be reminded of this part of your childhood, then this is the way to go :D

Adam [DVD] (2009)
Adam [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Hugh Dancy

5.0 out of 5 stars chance viewing worth it, 29 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
This is where I'm going to be honest:

When I heard the film was coming out when i was listening to the radio, i was a bit sceptical, purely because i have aspergers myself, and i spent a good part of my life thinking how would people know whats its like if they never had it. its time in the cinema came and went, then it came to dvd, and it was still catching my attention for some reason. then when it came on sky tv, i thought i'll watch it and give it a chance - and i could almost not believe it. it was the most hearbreaking film i had seen, watching adam fall in love and trying to engage with other people cos that is the same way i am myself.

what i really mainly loved about the film was the way they approached this issue that seems too rarely been made aware of.

i hope there are more films like this rasing the awareness of aspergers...

Stephen Gately and "Boyzone" - Blood Brothers 1976-2009
Stephen Gately and "Boyzone" - Blood Brothers 1976-2009
by Emily Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading for true fans, 21 Oct. 2010
I had no idea the book was released until I bought it at a book shop in Windsor on a personal day out during the winter. It was amazing to learn more about Stephen and hear everyone's reactions to his death - and more about him that we thought we knew. Read it from beginning to end on the train back home. I know its not official material but it gave an in depth insight to what we thought we knew already...

'pool (no water)' and 'Citizenship' (Modern Plays)
'pool (no water)' and 'Citizenship' (Modern Plays)
by Mark Ravenhill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!!!!, 7 Dec. 2006
As a Performing Arts Student, I find this a great read for those who show an interest in contemporary drama. I've seen Pool (No Water) at the Lyric in Hammersmith earlier this year and I enjoyed it.

Sylvanian Families Hedgehog Family
Sylvanian Families Hedgehog Family

5.0 out of 5 stars happy family, 5 Sept. 2006
I love the hedgehog family. I remember I once had two sets of the hedgehog family, and I lost the parents to one of the sets so I created my family to have four hedgehog children instead of two.

Page: 1 | 2