Profile for A. K. L. Pryde > Reviews

Content by A. K. L. Pryde

A. K. L. Pryde (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Beadwork (Handicraft Manuals)
Beadwork (Handicraft Manuals)
by Donatella Ciotti

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the French Technique, 29 Aug. 2007
I am an avid flower beading, who generally does french beaded flowers. As I am slowing gathering all the flower beading books available, I thought that I would add this to my collection. I'm still happy I did so, but I rarely use any of these patterns, this is for a number of reasons.

First, I find the instructions difficult to follow. From what I understand the book is a translation of an italian book and as there are few any illustrations, it is difficult to sort out instructions that have become a bit jumbled.

Secondly, this is a beadwork book not just a flower beading book and covers other beading techniques including jewellry making.

Next, alot of the arrangements are just pictures and don't have the full instructions on how to do them.

And finally, I can find better patterns for alot of the flowers in other books or make them up myself.

So if you are planning to by this as your first book on making beaded flowers, don't. Buy a Dalene Kelly or Virgina Nathanson book instead. If you're just adding to your collection of books knock yourself, the water lily pattern alone is worth buying the book for flower beading addicts like myself (and I admit that was one of the main reasdons I did buy the book).

Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear: Patterns for Craftspeople and Artisans
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear: Patterns for Craftspeople and Artisans
by Jillian Sawyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Patterns, 29 Aug. 2007
The patterns in this book are great and cover a wild range of complexity, although the majority of patterns are fairly simple.

While containing mainly patterns for teddy bears there are also versions of Sunbears, pandas, polar bears and gizzly bears some of which are more realistic than others.

I use these patterns for glass painting but have seen them used as patterns for machine embroidery also. Well worth getting if you love Teddy bears or even bears in general.

Storm Warning (Mage Storms Trilogy) (Mage Storms Trilogy (Paperback))
Storm Warning (Mage Storms Trilogy) (Mage Storms Trilogy (Paperback))
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another great series, 29 Aug. 2007
This is the first book of the MAGE STORMS series focusing again on Valdemar and the surrounding countries and follows directly the MAGE WINDS series.

This series was the first lot of books that Misty wrote from a Karsite point of view and are written from the perspective of Karal, a young Karsite Sunpriest, who is travelling to Valemar as the secretary of the new Karsite envoy.

What the Karsites and Hearlds don't know is that their world is under threat again. With the Eastern Empire invading Hardorn and Adept An'desha eperiencing permonitions of magical danger ahead, Karsite, Valdemar and their unusual allies must work together to discover and combat the threat before its too late.

Another great book from Misty, with Karal being a wonderful and infinately approachable character, who grows throughout the series. This Series is one of my favourites and Karal, one of my favourite characters.

A Brother's Price
A Brother's Price
by Wen Spencer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 5 July 2007
I really enjoyed this book. Being new to Wen Spencer, I didn't have a lot of preconceived ideas when it came to her books. This book approaches the fanasty romance in a whole new way. Lets get this out of the way first, it is more of a romance than a fanasty and it will appeal more to females than males.

The novel is based in a world where are 20-30 women to every man and sisters share one or maybe two husbands (if they are lucky). Men are the property of their sisters and the sale or swop of these men are how girls get a husband. Men are rarely seen by anyone but their families and are generally ornaments for breeding and taking care of the kids.

In this setting, a family of Landed Sisters descended from soliders save one of the land's princesses, unusually their brother is involved in the rescue and you can probably guess the main plot line from there. Fortunately the novel is well written and the characters are great and there are twists and turns in the plot line so the predictable main story line is not annoying.

All in all a great afternoon or holiday read that doesn't tax the brain cells.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2008 8:09 PM GMT

Faerie Lights
Faerie Lights
by Jillian Sawyer

5.0 out of 5 stars So Beautiful, 3 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Faerie Lights (Paperback)
Jillian Sawyer is a brilliant artist and her designs in this book are absolutely stunning. I love all of the designs featured, although I use them for glass painting rather than stained glass.

About half the patterns in this book are very intricate faeries such as the one on the front, the others are much much easier but just as if not more beautiful than the more complex ones. She includes photos of the completed project for all of the patterns as well as suggestions for glass colours and tips for construction.

If you are a stained glass crafter (or glass painter) who loves faeries this is the book for you.

Bead Flowers
Bead Flowers
by Minako Shimonagase

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best out there., 1 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Bead Flowers (Paperback)
This book has many great ideas and pictures but unfortuately not that many patterns. Most of them are variations on a theme and show different ways of arranging or displaying similar French Beaded Flowers.

There is one way in which this book does excell. For people who prefer to learn pictorially this is a great book for you. Each technique used is shown in clear and easy to follow diagrams, however only the very basic techniques are used so not all of tchniques that are used in French Beaded Flowers are shown.

Another sore point for me with this book, other than the very repetitive use of a few flowers and not covering all of the techniques, was that some of the arrangements and flowers that were my favourite in photos at the front of the book were not in the patterns!! For all of those wanting to make the bouquet on the front of the book yes, it is in the patterns.

On a positive note it is a great book for ideas and the patterns I have done from this book are all stunning.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2011 10:02 PM BST

The Art of French Beaded Flowers
The Art of French Beaded Flowers
by Carol Brenner Doelp

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of an obession..., 1 Jun. 2007
As the first french-beaded flower book I bought, I found this book easy to follow. It has a wide range of patterns, from those taking very little time (relatively) to ones that scare the life out of me (the wisteria, oh my god!).

Carol covers all of the techniques, both main ones (eg basic frame) and variations of the themes (eg split basic and reverse basic). Each pattern lists what materials are needed and what techniques are used.

The one downside of this book for some readers/crafters is that it is descriptive rather than pictorial, so there aren't many technique diagrams/pictures. However as I prefer this method of learning and happened to buy another book on French Beaded Flowers that was pictorial at the same time (I much preferred Carol's book to this one), I found "The Art of French Beaded Flowers" easy to use and has lead me down the path of a new obsession!

All in all a cracking book and a great hobby...

Aerie (Dragon Jousters)
Aerie (Dragon Jousters)

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 11 Oct. 2006
I love Misty's writing and have really enjoyed this series, however this book just doesn't quite fit. To me it seemed like she had a number of loose ends left over from the previous books and felt that she better tie them up.

This book starts with what you would expect, the rebuilding and reforming of the nations of Alta and Tia, as well as the Jousters and Priests out in Sanctuary and yes the Jousters decide to move to the cliff city which they call Aerie and of course Kiron (once know as Vetch)is the leader of this new city, ok so far so good. This is when things take a turn for the worst, for us readers that is.

A border village disappears and suddenly there is a whole new country, that we never knew existed but apparently was there and an ancient enemy all along and, wouldn't you know, THAT was where all those wizards/former sea witches came from? This totally changed what we had been lead to believe in the previous 3 books. Now I wouldn't have minded this break in continuity, except the tie-in was poor, the character dialogue wooden and unrealistic, and we really learn nothing important to add to our understanding of this great world and its characters.

I was heart-broken!!!

I wanted to throw the book away or across the room, anything. I kept on reading, hoping it would get better. It didn't. Favourite major characters from the previous books had bit parts, and there was no development of the characters at all. In fact I think the best thing we can all do is forget this book ever happened and get Misty to write the book we ALL know she can and should have written.

Please?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2008 1:32 PM GMT

Joust (Dragon Jousters)
Joust (Dragon Jousters)

5.0 out of 5 stars A New World of Dragons, 10 Oct. 2003
Joust is yet another stunning novel from Mercedes Lackey. Set in a new world with well crafted characters that pluck the heart-strings and make you contemplate the power of a dream.
Here is a world in which two nations war, Vetch is the young Altan serf who amazingly finds himself a dragon boy, caring for a Tian dragon. His is the single "tame" dragon in a compound where the dragons are drugged to the teeth, literally!! In Lackey's world, dragons are not the intelligent creatures we see in so many fanasty novels, rather they are large raptors, very, very large raptors!! Nor does her world contain the traditional overtones of Medieval Europe instead is a wonderful mix of Egypt and the myths of Altantis.
This book is a refreshing change, and one that I recommend to fanasty lovers and those new to the genre. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel, Alta.