Profile for Thomas Fisher > Reviews

Content by Thomas Fisher

Thomas Fisher

Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones - Green (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Momentum On-Ear in Green, 6 Aug. 2014
I wanted a pair of on ears for my daily commute to replace my in-ears which were increasingly becoming uncomfortable. After reading many reviews I settled on the momentums and I am glad I did. I went from the newer iPhone headphones as my daily headphones but I also have a set of AKG over ear monitor headphones for recording, just so you know what my point of comparisons are.

To me they sound very balanced: nice punch to the bass, clear mids and crisp, but not brittle highs. Just the kind of headphones I would want. They give you the true sound of how the record was supposed to be heard and no over exaggeration of any frequencies. There's also a nice spread of the sound so you get a very big, wide stereo sound which you just don't get with in ears (not the one I've tried anyway).

I've read people saying the mid was a little scooped so vocals sounded distant, but I don't hear that at all. It's more a reflection on the type of music those reviewers listen to. I listen mostly to rock/alternative music and I can hear everything clearly in the mix and I think I'm actually noticing different layers I didn't hear clearly before. I think the only downside of these headphones are is they show how well a record is produced. They are as close to monitors as you'll get for a good looking set of headphones.

I have them in green and I personally think they look great. At first I was second guessing myself, but after a while I am happy with my choice. It's a little different, not a garish green and they look pretty cool.

Ear pieces are comfortable, I'm glad they're not leather as in my experience that makes your ears a bit sweaty, but this 'alcantara' fabric is very soft and comfortable. The head band is quite snug, but that'll ease over time. The only discomfort I have is because I wear glasses and where the headphones clamp down on the top of my ear, is where the arm of my glasses sits. It's really only uncomfortable if I am wearing them for over an hour. Like I said, I'm expecting this to ease up.

For Android users out there the play/pause button works on the inline remote, but the volume buttons do not. This is a limitation of Android rather than the headphones themselves. Added bonus is double tap on the play/pause skips a track.

I've given them 4 stars as it's hard to be perfect and I'd only give 5 stars if they amazing for the price. I think they are priced very well though, you definitely get what you pay for.