Profile for samantha sanchez > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Everyone Else's Girl
Everyone Else's Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a wet lettuce., 30 April 2016
I still cannot work out whether I want to slap her or hug her.

Megan Crane writes interesting characters that normally you can empathise with from the start but I am not sure this was the case. It certainly grabs you from page one while you want to learn what caused the bust up in the friendship and continually you build up this sense of wanting to know what happens but every result is somewhat of a cold fish and slightly dissapointing.

The brilliance is in the writing style but not in the plot or the characters. The empathy you need for this sort of novel just doesn't arrive and you end up feeling frustrated in wanting a bit of back bone or huberous to give it some meaning.

It was a spur of the moment download on a friends kindle as she wanted to read it...I am not convinced I will be waiting with impatience for the next offering.

Trick or Threat: - A Belchester Chroniclette
Trick or Threat: - A Belchester Chroniclette

5.0 out of 5 stars A bitesize piece of pensioner power., 30 April 2016
The only issue for me is that this is only a short story and my impatience in waiting for the next full edition. Four pensioners and some yobs meet head on in a clash of the titans...what more could you want?

If you haven't read any of the Belchester Chronicles; firstly you are missing out and secondly this isn't where to start despite it being a short story. The characters need explaining and there isn't room in this to describe their foibles and failings beyond that which gives directly to the storyline. However for the seasoned addict, this is a nice shot in the arm or a quick fix reminding us of just how much we love these four ageing reprobates.

Pensioner power is its underlying theme and all hats off to it. What it lacks in some of the pomposity of the longer novels it makes up for in its wit and fast pace.

God Rob Ye Merry Gentlemen: A Belchester Chroniclette
God Rob Ye Merry Gentlemen: A Belchester Chroniclette

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect partner to mince pies and sherry., 30 April 2016
It is a novella rather than one of the full novels but is still as fresh and unique as the rest of this wonderfully eccentric series. Lady A is just the best antidote to too much Christmas dinner or any other time when you need to sit down and just relax with a good book.

It is over the top in every sense and yet it does it in such a way as to have you smiling along at the pomposity and general mirth this book delivers. A must for any fan of the series and a great edition for those moments over any festive period when you have seen every repeat on the television!

Music to Die For (The Falconer Files Book 6)
Music to Die For (The Falconer Files Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite in the series but still worth a read., 30 April 2016
As with the other books in this series, it is charming and light with thankfully, an earlier victim than some of them and a cast of characters that eventually you can remember.

It was equally enjoyable I just seemed to be able to put this one down with greater ease. I didn't find it quiet so compelling. The plot itself was fine and it followed the same door to door investigations, rumours and secrets as the others but I did find all the side story about cats and bits of shredded paper easy interludes to stop reading.

The Falconer Files are cosy murder mysteries, quaint villages, loose plots and a couple of larger than life detectives; one in particular! To read them is to persevere if there is a rather long section of padding or if it all gets a bit 'tall' even by its own standards and I will continue to do just that as overall they are an excellent easy read.

Miss Goody Two-Shoes and the Devil
Miss Goody Two-Shoes and the Devil

3.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't download myself..., 30 April 2016
This is a very different offering to the authors other works including the Belchester Chronicles and the Falconer Files and as such it is difficult not to continue to compare it to them. It is a short humourous tale but although funny I found it was trying too hard and felt almost forced akin to watching dodgy amateurs trying to do slapstick.

It felt like I should laugh when I merely smirked or should be immersed when I was always aware I was reading it. It left me feeling bland, non committal about it. It wasn't trash but neither was it a reflection of the brilliant talent of the author.

It is best described as twee, funny but forced and something I hope stays as a short story and doesn't distract from other series such as the Belchester Chronicles which is achingly brilliant and fresh and unique.

I read this on a friends kindle as it was the author who peeked my interest, i haven't downloaded it to mine which probably tells you all you need to know.

Murder at the Manse (The Falconer Files Book 5)
Murder at the Manse (The Falconer Files Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it but you wouldn't think so..., 30 April 2016
As with the others in this series I really enjoy them but wish the murder would happen a little earlier. For me it was a book of two halves; the first half lacking some pace and I caught myself wondering if I really would get to half way without there actually being a victim. Once however you do get to that point, the speed picks up and it is a fast paced, excellent read.

I enjoyed the setting of this one, less geographic locations to have to plot in my head and the character list although still lengthy not as long as in others within the series.

This almost sounds as if I didn't enjoy it and yet I did; as I always do with the Falconer Files. They are light and friendly with inflated characters and a good deal of mirth. They scoop you along as the reader making you smile, laugh and wince at the situations and dialogue. It is this cosy atmosphere that makes them what they are and as such I would recommend.

White Christmas with a Wobbly Knee (The Belchester Chronicles Book 2)
White Christmas with a Wobbly Knee (The Belchester Chronicles Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars We should all have a Lady Amanda in our lives., 30 April 2016
With characters you hate to love but just can't help yourself, this second book in the series is just as funny and wonderfully eccentric. Take a collection of ecletic pompous characters, sprinkle some well observed nuances and a huge dollop of humour, and you have this fresh and vibrant murder mystery.

It takes all sorts and this wont be to everyones taste but if you want something different that pokes fun at itself as well as all the characters within it then this is it.

Would recommend you start on book one...because if you like it you will become very quickly addicted to the shananigans of Lady A and her comrades.

The Belchester Chronicles (5 Book Series)
The Belchester Chronicles (5 Book Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Step aside Marple, Raisin here comes Lady A!, 30 April 2016
This is a great series...eccentric, funny and all written with a huge dollop of whimsy. Grab the Algipan and the alcohol, and let Lady A and Hugo take you off to a village cosy genre full of pomp and pomposity.

It is not for the gritty realists out there, this is light hearted with a bombastic leading lady whose charm is in the farce that seems to follow her. The plots are contrived, the characters comedic and in that lies the unique brilliance of this series. Highly recommended.

Pascal Passion (The Falconer Files Book 4)
Pascal Passion (The Falconer Files Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of warmth and whimsy., 30 April 2016
Flawed, fickle and still fabulous. These are not the books for everyone; if you are looking for gritty realism, developed plots and portly rounded characters then the Falconer files are probably going to leave you wanting more. However; if like me you want a cosy 'who dunnit' with charming village bickering and seemingly endless stereotypes then this is a must.

I like my village cosy just like it says...cosy; and this doesn't dissapoint. A murdered headmistress and multiple motives from a slightly too long a list of suspects and I am lost in this endearing light hearted world.

The author tells the tale as if a casual bystander rather than with forensic detail and I like that, its not difficult to bob along with the cartoonesque detectives and their silly escapades. As with the other books in the series they are light and jolly and sit easily into a couple of hours of relaxation or bedtime reading. I recommend their warmth and whimsy.

Inkier Than the Sword (The Falconer Files Book 3)
Inkier Than the Sword (The Falconer Files Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Secrets and side issues in a nice cosy plot., 30 April 2016
I gave the first book in this series four stars and continue to find I love them but with a hint of malody on everyone. My issue with this series usually falls into two main themes: the cast of thousands; and waiting for the victim to be murdered.

That isn't to say I don't still genuinely enjoy reading them and would recommend them everytime...I just always have the same nagging doubt when starting each one.

The beauty of these is the granular way in which the author understands english village life. That silent level of competitiveness that belies every slice of cake or community event that happens. I enjoy reading about each of the grudges and long held secrets as they unfold through the investigation and waiting as Falconer teases out the next suspects weaknesses; if sometimes only to mask his own.

These are a lovely set of books, easy reading and despite my lazy reluctance in wanting to discover quite so many characters, I would recommend them without delay. Especially if you like your English cosy to be exactly that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3