Profile for Stuart Woods > Reviews

Content by Stuart Woods

Stuart Woods (Bushey, England)

Brush Strokes - The Complete Boxed Set [DVD]
Brush Strokes - The Complete Boxed Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karl Howman

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty DVD, 26 Nov. 2013
Sadly I have had exactly the same problem as John, vision loss halfway through disc 1. I have tried two copies and they had the exact same error. Amazon have refused to send me a third copy which in all honesty is probably for the best. Very disappointed after waiting so many years for the complete set. I guess the wait goes on.

More ABBA Gold
More ABBA Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars More homes should own this album., 22 Oct. 2010
This review is from: More ABBA Gold (Audio CD)
It has come to my attention that too many homes in the UK own a copy of Abba `Gold` but not `More Gold`. `Gold` has most of the big hits on of course but there was a lot more to Abba than `cheesy disco hits` as I believe one reviewer described `Gold` as.

`More Gold` contains some of Abba`s finest tunes. Yes, really. `When I Kissed The Teacher`, `Summer Night City`, `Honey, Honey` are all top notch pop songs. I`d go as far to say that `Summer Night City` was one of the most powerful and memorable disco pop songs from the late 70`s which was of course full of music from that genre. If you have a decent system stick this on with the volume well up and hear it come to life.

There are many good reasons to add this album to your collection. Head and shoulders above the rest, however, is the song many have described as Abba`s finest hour. Step forward `The Day Before You Came`. This one isn`t that catchy compared to most of the Swedes output, but by golly it`s good! Lasting around five minutes this song is all pretty much the same pace throughout, it has a storyline and depth and shows that the bands songwriting skills had hit an all time high maturity wise. Sadly it wasn`t a big hit at the time but that doesn`t mean it isn`t any good!

When talking quality we shouldn`t really need to mention anything as crass as the price. But have you seen the price? £3.99 as I type this review! What are you waiting for?

Brush Strokes - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [1986]
Brush Strokes - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Karl Howman
Offered by filmsmk

5.0 out of 5 stars Six years later..., 22 Oct. 2010
Six years later and we are still waiting for the rest of this series to be released. For crying out loud BBC (whatever happened to the BBC we used to know and love?)are you going to put out the rest or not? If you`re not then say so and put us out of our misery. If you are then don`t you think it`s about time?

Five stars for the programme. Zero stars for the once great institution called the BBC.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2012 11:43 AM GMT

Jekyll & Hyde: The Complete Work;The Gothic Musical Thriller
Jekyll & Hyde: The Complete Work;The Gothic Musical Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated masterpiece!, 13 Nov. 2008
Musically I rate this album amongst my top five favourite musicals of all time. There are many highlights and with the song `This Is The Moment` Jekyll and Hyde boasts having one of THE great musical songs.
I`m astonished another reviewer complaining that there are only ten songs they like on the cd. ONLY! For a musical that is a large number of quality original songs. Just think, ten good songs is three more than `Phantom Of The Opera` (great musical) and nine more than `Cats`!
Jekyll is still relatively unknown but I`m convinced that it`s too good to just fade away and will indeed have it`s day at somepoint in the future.
I would recommend this 2cd version in particular as it features a terriffic number entitled `Bitch, Bitch, Bitch`. Unfortunately this song has been omitted from many other versions including the region 1 DVD of the show and also the performance I saw in my local theatre just two days ago.

Waterloo
Waterloo
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars ABBA`S best album. Yes, really!!, 22 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Waterloo (Audio CD)
I`ve been meaning to write this review for sometime to set the record straight regarding ABBA`s greatest album debate.

It`s natural for a band to spend more and more time in the studio the longer they`ve been together and ABBA were no exception. But it`s often the early work recorded in less time that sounds fresher, more exciting and spontaneous. On `WATERLOO` you get to hear ABBA before they bought their super-douper new studio and made too many songs sound awash with keyboards and synthesizers. Listen to the guitar on `WATCH OUT` or the excellent bass on `MY MAMA SAID`. This is a band new and fresh and bursting with ideas.

There are so many great songs on this album and it all seems like good fun. Both couples are still together and happy. Later on it all got a bit too serious for me.

`DANCE WHILE THE MUSIC...`, `HASTA MANANA` and `HONEY, HONEY` are three of ABBA`s greatest tunes. No question. Even better is the superb ballad `GONNA SING YOU MY LOVESONG`. Still one of my favourite songs of all time.

But what about `SITTING IN THE PALMTREE` and `KING KONG SONG` I hear you cry! Well, o.k. I`ll admit they`re not in the same league as the other songs but they do lend the album variety and `quirkiness` which, for me adds to the albums charm.

So yes, I believe it`s their best. Better even than `ARRIVAL`. `WATERLOO` may contain `KING KONG SONG` but don`t forget on `ARRIVAL` you`ve got `DUM DUM DIDDLE`!. `ARRIVAL` is of course a great album but I feel side one (despite `DUM DUM DIDDLE`)is far superior to side two. `WATERLOO` is more consistent over the two sides of the album. That`s for those of you who remember vinyl! Talking of which, if you really want to hear this album at it`s best then it never sounded better than on good old vinyl. This format suits the sound of their earlier work whereas CD perhaps suits the latter albums better.

One more thing I`d like to mention about `WATERLOO`. Like the two albums which came out either side of it, `WATERLOO` has more lead vocals performed by Bjorn than on later albums. I thinks this helps to add variety to the proceedings. FLEETWOOD MAC and THE EAGLES are just two bands who have benefitted from using three or more lead vocalists. And yes, I`m well aware how good the two girls are. But don`t underestimate Bjorn. Just listen to him growl on `WATCH OUT`. Great stuff! GREAT ALBUM!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2013 1:16 PM BST