Profile for Ms. Joanne Fitzpatrick > Reviews

Content by Ms. Joanne Fit...

Ms. Joanne Fitzpatrick "Morrigan" (Manchester)

Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature
Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature
by Andrew Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Mar. 2010
As a long time fan of the Discworld series, this book was a brilliant journey through some of te aspects which make up the fantastic brilliance of Pratchett. A must read if you are interested in the literary intricacies of Discworld.

Moab Is My Washpot
Moab Is My Washpot
by Stephen Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 July 2008
This review is from: Moab Is My Washpot (Paperback)
Like many of the other reviewers, I found I couldn't put this book down. True some of the language gets a bit complicated in places but Fry's amazing narrative style is so addictive that the few stumbling parts are easily forgiven. It's brilliantly funny, heart-breakingly sad and refreshingly honest, after reading it I would challenge anyone not to feel even slightly moved. Personally I felt a whole rainbow of emotions and I am so glad I read it. I would recommend this to anyone.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 8 July 2008
While this is not the most amazing book I have ever read it is certainly worth reading. It is different from anything I have ever encountered before and probably ever will again. It's a very easy book to read but still with lots going on with some lovely plot twists, funny moments and saddness all mixed in together.

Brick Lane
Brick Lane
by Monica Ali

2.0 out of 5 stars It isn't good. It isn't bad. It's just boring., 24 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Brick Lane (Paperback)
Given this as part of a book club and this is the only reason I struggled my way through it. I can't say its a bad book, its not poorly written or with a horrendous storyline but it's definitely not a good book. It's just boring and tedious. You don't feel any connection with any of the characters, they have no redeeming points and the main character just comes across as so pathetic that it begins to get annoying.
The most grating thing about this book is the absolutely pointless letters written by her sister, all are in terrible broken English, add nothing to the story and just succeed in making you want to rip the spine out of the book. The huge leaps in time confused me, I couldn't picture the characters at all and the frequent jumps back to her childhood seemed pointless. She does develop well as a character and that is the only good thing I can really say about this book, but because you find yourself not caring about the characters it doesn't redeem the book even slightly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2009 10:14 AM GMT