Profile for MacAvity > Reviews

Content by MacAvity

MacAvity (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Apple iPad Mini 32GB Wi-Fi (Space Grey)
Apple iPad Mini 32GB Wi-Fi (Space Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best gadget I've ever owned, 12 Sept. 2013
My iPad Mini gets used every day for surfing the Net, reading E-books, sending e-mails and, at home, for watching videos streamed from that Western Digital Mybook Live 'thingy' over in the corner. Since getting this device back in November 2012 I have hardly used my portable DVD player at all - or my full-size iPad which, compared to the 'Mini', is a fair old handful let me tell you. In my view, the iPad Mini is the perfect tool for everything - not too big, not too small and very light. Just ideal. And it always works! Unfortunately when I bought mine I had to settle for the 32Gb version because the 16Gb versions were out of stock. But I can honestly say that the 16Gb version should be more than adequate for most people, especially when used in conjunction with one of those video server contraptions mentioned above. You can watch your favourite films anywhere in the house or garden via wi-fi, which saves storage space on the device itself. What a brilliant idea. Plus, for mobile Internet iPad Mini can be tethered to a mobile phone's data connection (carrier permitting). Otherwise if you're out and about a lot iPad Minis are available with mobile data connections built-in.

So, if you're looking for a tablet I would say that this is definitely the one to buy. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 3:41 PM BST

JVC  GC-XA1 ADIXXION Action Camera - (5MP, 4x Digital Zoom) 1.5 inch LCD Display
JVC GC-XA1 ADIXXION Action Camera - (5MP, 4x Digital Zoom) 1.5 inch LCD Display

8. Takes a full-size SD card;
9. Has 'mini', as opposed to 'micro', HDMI out;
10.Takes lovely stills.

Things I don't like:

1. Recording light at the front instead of at the back where you could see it better;
2. Recording light stays on all the time; being at the front this attracts attention to the camera;
3. No external mic socket;
4. Internal mic picks up a lot of wind noise - so you have to cover it with insulating tape;
5. No screw-thread on the lens to take a UV filter;
6. LCD screen stays on all the time while recording, a feature that just helps to drain the battery (sorted in GC-XA2);
7. Supplied mounts pretty useless and do not inspire confidence;
8. Wi-Fi implementation not great, though it's always worked well enough for me (read the manual);
9. Battery takes ages to charge.

Otherwise, a fairly neat little camera, as long as you don't pay too much for it. You should also be aware that there's now a new improved model out called GC-XA2 that attempts to address some - though not by any means all - of its older brother's shortcomings. I shall probably buy this latest incarnation in due course. For your info, I also have Sony HDRAS15 Sports Action Camcorder with Full HD and Wi-Fi - Black which, in overall terms, is pretty much on a par with the camera reviewed here. While the one you eventually buy will depend on what's important to you, neither should disappoint.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2013 12:33 PM BST

Sony HDRAS15 Sports Action Camcorder with Full HD and Wi-Fi - Black
Sony HDRAS15 Sports Action Camcorder with Full HD and Wi-Fi - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm fairly pleased, 21 Aug. 2013
Everyone else has more or less said all there is to say about this little camera from a technical perspective. So I shall only add that, apart from its good and bad points, even in its waterproof case the camera is quite discreet. I haven't tried any of the mounting accessories yet because I've just been using Velcro on the left side of the waterproof case, a mounting method that has so far worked fine for me. But I did get a battery charger and a spare battery from EXPRO via Amazon. I also got another camera similar to HDR-AS15: JVC's GC-AX1 (now GC-AX2). Perhaps even more discreet than the Sony, GC-AX1 is waterproof down to 5m without a housing. So cyclists and bikers should never have any problems on the sort of rainy days we always get here in the UK. While on balance I would say that the Sony produces better pictures and audio than the JVC, the latter would probably be less noticeable on your bike or motorcycle in wet weather (because it doesn't need a protective housing). The JVC also uses full-size SD cards and has better mounting options straight out of the box. Otherwise both cams were around the same price, which was considerably less than any of the GoPros or the Contour+2. I also like the fact that Sony and JVC have been making video cameras for a lot longer than the new kids on the block.

Generic PU Leather Case Cover For Microsoft Surface Windows 8 Rt Pro 10.6 Tablet PC (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 19 Aug. 2013
Ordered 8th August; arrived 19th August, all the way from Hong Kong. Just what I wanted. Like some of the iPad cases you can get, for both the full-size iPads and iPad minis, this Microsoft Surface case allows you to use the device inside the case for most of the time. You would only have to take it out when needing access to the Micro SD card, an occasion that shouldn't arise too often. So your Surface will be spared many of the scratches that it would otherwise suffer during hectic days travelling around on business. The top flap of the case folds into a slot on the rear of the bottom part to make a stable stand. Then, when the top flap is closed, it is secured to the bottom part by a magnetic latch. All very chic, efficient and compact. The fit is pretty good too with reasonable access to the buttons and the USB port. But I don't want to say too much about 'fit' until the case beds in. Leastwise it seems excellent right now. The case was well-packaged in a padded bag and arrived in pristine condition. So I am jolly chuffed, as I am fairly certain you would be too, if you bought one of these. However, I have only given it four stars on account of the time it took to arrive. Why things take so long to come from Hong Kong in this day and age I do not know.

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E535 15.6-inch Laptop (AMD A4 4300M 2.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit/Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor!, 19 July 2013
I've just got the A8-4500M version of this laptop and even though it's a budget model I'm unimpressed by the build-quality. The whole thing feels very `plastic' and the keys on the keyboard look as if they might come adrift quickly with serious use. The DVD tray doesn't feel very robust either, the display is lack-lustre and the battery life leaves much to be desired.

I've had sturdy effervescent Lenovo machines in the past. But this one suggests that the company is cutting back a bit too much on the quality side. Normally I would have gone for an HP laptop. But I couldn't find a low-cost model that had Windows 7 installed and could boot from MBR partitions. Indeed, most of the budget retail lappies seem to come with Windows 8 and much of the business software I use doesn't work with that OS yet.

However, the most significant defect of this laptop as far as I'm concerned is that, while it can boot okay from bootable CD-ROMs, for some weird reason that even Lenovo Tech Support cannot work out it will NOT allow booting from bootable USB memory sticks - at least none of the SanDisk ones I have tried. With a view to solving this problem I was advised to update the BIOS. But it turns out that the BIOS in my machine is a newer version of the `latest' BIOS on Lenovo UK's web site. So, if booting from USB memory sticks is important to you, I would give E535 3260 a big miss. Furthermore, after installing my own version of Windows 7 I had to go to Lenovo's US site to get the appropriate graphics drivers, which were not available to download from Lenovo's UK site. This tended to reinforce my view that Lenovo is not as good a company as it used to be.

On the plus side E535 came with Windows 7 Pro and disks for Windows 8 Pro, though you can only use one of these operating systems at a time. The machine runs fairly fast from the original 500 GB hard disk and even faster from an SSD, which I installed the other day. There are four USB ports, an HDMI port, a VGA female connector, a memory card reader and a fingerprint reader. I always use a mouse. So I can't really comment on the touchpad and buttons. They appear to be okay. But regular non-mousers might not agree. Also, in the middle of the keyboard, is one of those funny little red button things for moving the mouse cursor. There's Bluetooth 4.0, Gigabit wired Ethernet and a wireless controller. A decent webcam at the top of the display more or less completes the picture. With an AMD processor this machine runs considerably hotter than one with an Intel processor and there are no indicator LEDs for HDD or DVD drive operation.

Now I wish I'd spent more on a better-quality HP Intel business laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed and the ability to boot from MBR disks. The Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E535 3260 is maybe a good example of `you only get what you pay for'. Not always a truism, granted. But to my mind `certainly' in this case.

ADDENDUM - 19TH August 2013

I forgot to say that gaining access to the fan and the heat sink on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E535 3260 is achieved by simply removing a single panel on its underside. I think this is a major plus-point because, over time, laptops get clogged up with fluff, which gravely impedes their ability to stay cool, especially if they have AMD processors which, as mentioned above, tend to run much hotter than Intel ones. So, I have awarded E535 another star for being easy to vacuum.

Fujifilm Instax mini 50S - instant print cameras (CR2, 0.6 - 3 m, Auto, Fill-in, CR2/DL CR2, Lithium)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings back fond memories..., 25 Jun. 2013
...for me who was brought up with the Polaroid Swinger experience during the 1960s and 70s. Despite the exceptional quality and sophistication of today's digital cameras I think there's something very special about getting a hard-copy print not long after you've pressed the shutter, and wondering how it will 'come out' as you watch it develop before your eyes. That was the magic of instant photography in my youth and this little camera is helping me to re-live it. For serious photographs of course I'd use a DSLR. But for sheer nostaligic fun, the Fuji Instax Mini 50s is ideal. It comes with all you need to get started straight out of the box:

1. 2 x 10-shot film packs
2. 2 x photo lithium Batteries
3. Close-up lens

There is also:

1. A self-timer facility with two settings: one for a single shot and one for two shots in close succession.
2. A tripod mount
3. A hand strap or lanyard
4. A means of lightening or darkening the pictures according to ambient lighting conditions

If you plan to use this camera a lot I recommend ordering a set of spare batteries and extra film packs. These can be pricey on the High Street and are not always readily available.

Polaroid GL10 Instant 3X4 Mobile Bluetooth Printer for Digital Cameras and Smart Phones

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not perfect, 21 Jun. 2013
Then again, what is? The Polaroid GL10 is a great little printer because it outputs very acceptable prints, doesn't need any inks or toners to make it work and connects to host devices wirelessly via Bluetooth, albeit NOT to Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod products apparently. However, I understand that this is Apple's fault: NOT Polaroid's. A lot of other printers, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, won't connect with those Apple devices either because it seems that Apple wished this to be so for their own reasons, whatever they might have been. However, GL10 works with the other Bluetooth devices I have, including a MACBOOK, Samsung Galaxy phone and an HP Windows 7 laptop fitted with a cheap Bluetooth USB dongle obtained from a well-known high street shop that sells all its wares for £1 each.

The essence of GL10 lies in the special ZINK paper it uses. This is analogous to the instant film that Polaroid built its reputation on. All the colour tones for realising images are embedded as tiny crystals in the ZINK paper and produce prints when GL10 heats them up in a special way. ZINK paper really is an amazing piece of modern technology. At current prices I've established that each print, monochrome or colour, costs around 44.5 pence. According to the user manual GL10 should be good for 35 prints on a full charge of its internal battery. But that doesn't bother me because I always use the thing on mains power. I am also going to buy another GL10, an intention that may give you some idea of how much I have taken to this dinky little device. While it's maybe not up to the same printing standard obtainable from an inkjet printer or a dye-sub like the Canon CP900, GL10 is a lot more user-friendly and the results it produces are, to my eyes at any rate, extremely pleasing. Well worth a punt I would say.

Just a final point... When connecting to your computer, either Windows or MAC, if you try to add GL10 as a 'printer' you might have problems. Whereas, if you add GL10 as a 'device' you should be okay. That's what I found anyhow.

Polaroid Zink Media 70 pack for PoGo Instant Mobile Printer
Polaroid Zink Media 70 pack for PoGo Instant Mobile Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Dinky little prints but..., 12 Jun. 2013
...they need to put stronger adhesive on the back of the paper. The prints are inclined to peel way from most surfaces. This can be avoided by adding extra adhesive. I am also worried that Polaroid will soon stop making this paper like they stopped making the instant film for their classic cameras. So I am printing as many POGO-size pictures as I can while the going is good. In my view, the POGO system is a great product. But only four stars because of the adhesive problem with the ZINK paper.

I purchased two of these seventy-sheet units and they arrived within a day on free delivery. So I was delighted. But each pack of seventy sheets (7 x 10 wrapped units) wasn't individually boxed as shown in the picture (and as I have received them before from Amazon). In the usual Amazon packaging there were two little brown taped envelopes, each containing seven sealed packs of ten sheets. Yet, as the paper inside was undamaged, I had no cause to be unhappy. It was just surprising not to get two retail boxes as shown in the picture. Then again, two retail boxes may not have gone through my letterbox, meaning a trip down to the local sorting office... Don't you hate when that's required?

Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery For Panasonic CGR-S006
Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery For Panasonic CGR-S006

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine - but tight fit at first, 21 May 2013
Initially you may find you have to push this battery harder into the slot than you had to push the original Panasonic battery. But, over time, the contacts loosen and the battery slips in fine. I can confirm that this battery fits the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ38. I know because I have both cameras and have tried the battery in each one.

Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper A4 2-for-1 C13S042169 - Pack of 30 + 30 Free
Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper A4 2-for-1 C13S042169 - Pack of 30 + 30 Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium product, premium service, 21 May 2013
I've always found this paper the best for printing my photographs from Epson printers. It produces really professional-looking results. Ordered very late Thursday evening, arrived via free SuperSaver delivery on Tuesday morning. So I am well chuffed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9