Profile for JBEvans > Reviews

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic does not even come close as to how good this show is, 22 Jun. 2015
Words almost fail me to describe this TV show, I heard all the hype and was initially very reluctant to watch this (could not imagine that a teacher with cancer cooking crystal meth would be anythng that I wanted to watch !!!!!), but I gave in at the end and bought the box set when it was on sale. And what can I say, it is truly epic and you'll be hooked from start to finish. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul deliver some of the best acting I have ever seen and the script by Vince Gilligan is as tight and amazing as it can get. Up to now it was the Sopranos which had in my opinion produced the best script and acting I've ever seen but BB surpasses it (who would have thought lol). On a personal note, I ended up completely adoring Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul's character), the little boy lost who I thought was the "conscience " of the show.

GPO Stylo 3 Speed Stand Alone Turntable with Built In Speakers - Red
GPO Stylo 3 Speed Stand Alone Turntable with Built In Speakers - Red
Offered by Delightful-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars really disappointed with this, 18 May 2014
I bought this because I read all the rave reviews for it but unfortunately I will have to return it. The sound is completely distorted and somehow the records sound "too slow".

The tinned sound of the built-in speakers don't help either, sure, I can buy external speakers but the whole point for buying this is so that I can use it as a "stand alone".

My Heart
My Heart
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars simply fab, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: My Heart (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my sister who's a fan (I'm more of a rock chick lol). I thought I'd give it a spin though and was thoroughly impressed, I totally forgot what an amazing singer Doris Day is, the CD has got a groovy, chilled back vibe about it, it's perfect for winding down after a long, hard day. As I said, simply fab.

Gardman Filigree Table Solar Light
Gardman Filigree Table Solar Light
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar light, 31 Aug. 2011
this is simply fab, bought it for my balcony, it is just so beautiful when it comes on at night, could watch it for hours, the colour changing is fantastic. Very easy to set up as well.

Minutes to Midnight
Minutes to Midnight

4.0 out of 5 stars New beginnings for LP, 18 May 2007
This review is from: Minutes to Midnight (Audio CD)
Let me start with this, if you're expecting another HT or Meteora, don't bother. If you thought LP were nothing but a Nu Metal band, don't bother either. If you're open minded about music and give songs a chance, you're gonna love this album.

Before I listened to the album, I read a lot of reviews, people seemed to either love or hate it. There was a lot of "LP selling out and going commercial", etc. Well, sorry but that's exactly what LP have NOT done, it would have been easy for them to release another HT/Meteora. But that's exactly what they did not wanna do.

The only "criticism" I would have is that they might have spent too much time in the studio, trying to make things too perfect (although it's interesting that the earliest recordings were often chosen to make the album).

I think that LP are in a transition stage at the moment, they've moved on from being Nu Metal and of course they've grown up as well, which is reflected in a lot of lyrics on the album. It will be interesting to see what the next album will be like. Oh yes, and the album comes with an "explicit lyrics" warning (because they use the f word a couple of times lol).

And here's my review:

1. Stand - a nice little instrumental, still sounding like the "old" LP.

2. Given up - one of the songs I knew already, as they've played it at the London gig, a fast paced heavy metal number, that will keep the headbangers happy lol.

3. Leave out all the rest - first "shocker" of the album as it's a sort of ballad. Great, reflective lyrics (somebody's taking stock of his life).

4. Bleed it out - a foot stomping number and the first highlight of the album, the lines "I bleed it out, digging deeper just to throw it away" plus the rhythms are very catchy and you end up singing and humming along lol.

5. Shadow of the day - another slow number, lyric wise it goes along with song 3, very moving song, the line "sometimes goodbye's the only way" had me in tears (the way I understand is that somebody is about to commit suicide).

6. What I've done - the first single of course, the song that was actually added right at the end, after friends had commented that there was something "missing" on the album. It took a while to grow on me but now I really love it, sounds a bit like the "old" LP.

7. Hands held high - Mike's solo song/rap, sounding a bit like his other band (Fort Minor). The rest of the band is providing backing vocals (singing "Amen"). It takes a while but it does grow on you (even though I'm not too sure about the "political message").

8. No more sorrow - another song that I knew from the London gig and definitely my favourite on the album, another foot stomping number, sounding more rock than metal.

9. Valentine's Day - my least favourite song of the album, really sounds like a "filler". Sounds just like your average rock ballad.

10. In between - and the real surprise of the album because Mike is actually singing (not rapping), and pretty good he sounds too. Really good song, great lyrics too ("the only thing that's worse than one is none"). A reflective, quiet number and definitely a highlight on this album.

11. In pieces - another song that sounds like nothing LP have done before, it's a pop/rock ballad, the song's about a relationship failing/coming to an end (I wonder if Chester is talking about his first marriage lol).

12. The little things give you away - another more quiet song to round off the album (and it sounds very U2 lol). The song was written after LP visited New Orleans and witnessed the Katrina disaster. Although I'm never keen on musicians going political, but in this instance I can actually understand it, i.e. they were very angry after seeing all the devastation and how the Bush administration handled this disaster.