Profile for Reader > Reviews

Content by Reader

Reader "Reader" (Mostly London)

Nib + Ink: The New Art of Modern Calligraphy
Nib + Ink: The New Art of Modern Calligraphy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really well suited to Kindle. Wish I had known this, 2 May 2016
I was undecided between the paperback version and the kindle version. Unfortunately the Kindle sample didn't give me a good idea of what to expect. This book has plenty of practice pages, which are pretty useless on a screen, unless Apple invents the Apple calligraphy pencil for iPads soon. All the practice pages are pretty redundant for any e-version of this book. The paperback is more useful, and cheaper (although I don't know how the paper quality will deal with ink, as I am stuck with the kindle purchase)

Lihit Lab., Inc. twist ring notebook for punch P1600
Lihit Lab., Inc. twist ring notebook for punch P1600
Offered by World Shop JP

2.0 out of 5 stars trying to punch an index card with this is pretty tough. So now you know, 6 April 2016
So I have a bunch of Maruman/ Kokuyo folders, and I thought I would be able to use the Lihit Lab hole punch with those. I was wrong. They may look similar, but the spacing is different. Also, trying to punch an index card with this is pretty tough. So now you know.

How to Get Filthy Rich In Rising Asia
How to Get Filthy Rich In Rising Asia

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pakistani 'Love in the time of cholera', 30 Dec. 2013
Despite this, with its 2nd person voice, still managed to be v. Original. A so-so story, really lifted by the quality of the writing.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than the apple product, 8 Dec. 2012
This charges our iPads faster than the apple charger. Yes, we did have one product that overheated and melted and would no longer work, but the lesson is to unplug when not in use. I have used this in the US, Europe, here in the UK, and in Africa - and it is a great product. I have found apple chargers to become less reliable with time - but not this one. It is also super light so great for travel. The snap on plug points for different parts of the world are very easy to use. Now buying my 4th or 5th set

In Spite Of The Gods: The Strange Rise of Modern India
In Spite Of The Gods: The Strange Rise of Modern India
by Edward Luce

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply insightful - a great achievement, 1 Nov. 2012
Quite simply, the best book on India that I have read. A tour de force - the book explores, somewhat uniquely, the different facets of Indian culture, history, and politics that are all relevant to its economic outlook today. Deeply insightful. Left me wondering why it was not better publicised. Essential reading for anyone seeking to understand India today.

Pretty Neat: The Buttoned-up Way to Get Organized and Let Go of Perfection
Pretty Neat: The Buttoned-up Way to Get Organized and Let Go of Perfection
by Alicia Rockmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Being a big fan of get buttoned up.com I have been waiting for this book for ages, 8 Jan. 2011
From what I've been able to preview, this will be every bit as good as the first book by the get buttoned up team. Unlike most organising books, this one is specifically aimed at real life working mothers. My only gripe - why is the kindle edition of this book available in the US, but not yet on amazon.co.uk. How difficult is it to make the same content available?

Staedtler Triplus 34 SB4 Mobile Office Writing Set
Staedtler Triplus 34 SB4 Mobile Office Writing Set

4.0 out of 5 stars really is a mobile office on the go, 25 Aug. 2010
I love this. It really is a mobile office on the go - I travel frequently for work. Research is a big part of what I do, and not wanting to take a huge pencil case along, this little nifty case at least gives me a selection of what I'm likely to need most. I also like taking notes in different colours, and highlighting action points during meetings - saves time later - so this selection is perfect for meetings too, and fits neatly into my handbag. The mechanical pencil has a great design. The highlighter is a joy - plus you can interchange with other stuff from the Triplus range. My key gripe - the black marker pen goes a little dry after a while, and you're never sure if you should just chuck it away at that stage, and get a new one, or whether that is wasteful, and there is still life in it. Would be much easier if it just ran out of ink - you'd know when to replace it. My other issue - I'm not a big fan of the ball point pen in this range. The other items are world class. The pen is kind of clunky, feels heavy after a while - it's not a joy to work with. You can replace the items in here with other steadtler triplus fineliner or fibre tip pens, increasing the colour range and versatility. You can also replace items with other triplus text surfers, which are best-in-class. Sadly though, a full-length ergosoft pencil would not fit in this case (but they sharpen down to size quite quickly). Nice product. Very useful. Wish it were cheaper.