Profile for misty may > Reviews

misty may (Scotland.)

The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion
The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion

5.0 out of 5 stars A call to arms., 13 May 2004
I'm going to start with a confession. My knowledge of the incredible string band is rather limited so you'll excuse me if I can't demonstrate the type of extensive background knowledge of the band displayed by other reviewers of this album. As a daughter of an original sixties child I have been influenced enormously by my father to whom my music taste is entirely indebted. Perhaps for this reason I feel completely let down by the majority of modern music and tend to raid my father's collection for stimulation. The wonderful man made a little compilation C.D. for his pretentious teenaged daughter and this is where I first encountered The Incredible String Band. Painting Box completely overwhelmed me with that complex confusion of vocals and strings vying for attention. So beautiful and natural...how could I not seek out the source of such a masterpiece?
And so I find myself surrounded by these incredible psychedelic string sounds even as I write this crit.. I challenge anyone to listen to the 5000 Spirits and not feel as I do; we, the youth of the nineties/noughties, are a musically deprived generation. Let us hope modern musicians seek inspiration in truly musical albums like this and perhaps the future of music will be a little brighter :-)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2012 6:00 PM GMT

Once Upon a Time in Mexico [DVD] [2011]
Once Upon a Time in Mexico [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Antonio Banderas|Salma Hayek|Johnny Depp
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid., 19 Mar. 2004
What an absolutely cracking film. Not for a long time have I seen such a film of such scorching pace and subtle humour. It's so beautifully shot and the soundtrack is wicked, really quirky and bizarre. I'm not exactly a fan of Iglesias jnr., neither his music nor his melodramatic music videos (blehh!!!) but my word...when he pops out from behind that pillar brandishing a gun in each hand? Well now, he's just gaining all kinds of credibility.
Somebody said this film wasn't for girls? Whatever, moron. What kind of girls do you hang out with? I watched this film with a unisex room full of students and we clapped and whooped with glee all the way through. Convoluted plot? Bah!! Get a grip, watch this film and grin as it shoots its way into your top ten best movies EVER. Bang Bang Bang!!!