Profile for TheWalkingDictionary > Reviews

Content by TheWalkingDict...

TheWalkingDictionary

Sleeping Bag - Envelope Lightweight Portable, Waterproof, Comfort With Compression Sack, - Great For 4 Season Traveling, Camping, Hiking, & Outdoor Activities. (SINGLE)
Offered by AbcoTech Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor zip strength, 14 July 2016
Well, it kept me quite warm for the 15 minutes before the zip broke. Extremely annoyed, would have been better with some blankets.

Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Body Scrub 200g
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Body Scrub 200g
Offered by GB TRADERS

4.0 out of 5 stars Palmers nails it again, 19 Jan. 2016
Normally, when I buy shower products, I buy once, use, and move on. Of this, I am on my second tub.

It's very moisturising and smells lovely, like authentic chocolate as opposed to the synthetic scents some companies would probably prefer. I'm sure this is due, in part, to the real crushed cocoa beans that take the place of the traditional 'beads'. An added bonus is that, unlike the plastic beads, these won't damage the environment.

The only negative really is that, unlike scrubs that I have used from places like 'Lush', I feel like the scrub doesn't exfoliate as well or as much as possible. However, I also have the issue of sensitive skin, so this may actually work out better for you, especially with the added moisturising properties.

Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD Ultra Slim Portable Optical DVD Writer - Grey
Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD Ultra Slim Portable Optical DVD Writer - Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely temperamental and incapable of burning., 19 Jan. 2016
I bought this three months ago to accompany my new Macbook, since they no longer have internal optical drive.

It is extremely temperamental, sometimes deciding to turn itself off with the disc still inside. It's just generally unreliable, and a friend who also bought one of these found it just stopped working entirely with only very light use . It's also extremely flimsy and cheap-looking plastic, unlike the picture.

Normally, its temperamental nature wouldn't really bother me that much (I'm pretty patient), but I was trying to burn a CD for my friend today and it just is not happening. Apparently the drive is disconnecting itself before the burn can complete. Seeing as this is what the drive is advertised as being able to do, this has left me extremely frustrated.

Time to find a new drive, I think.

ResultSport® The Original Foam Padded Level 1 Weighted 1.2kg (2.65lbs) Fitness Exercise Hula Hoop 100cm wide
Offered by ResultSport

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems great, 5 Jan. 2014
I chose this because I need to get fit. I was looking into fun ways to do this and came across weighted hula hoops. I briefly considered one of the wavy non-padded ones but quickly decided against it because I heard the bruising from it was horrendous for some people. This was also almost twice the weight which was a benefit for me, since I'll be less likely to have to buy a heavier one later.

I received this this morning, it fits together just wait for the click and off you go. It suggests, if you need it to, to remove a section, but I tried this and I don't see how this is possible. It doesn't really matter anyway because I have heard that a larger hoop is a lot easier to use than a smaller one. The colours alternate bright pink and a nice grey, and I was amused to find that the pink sections match my sports bra. Also in the box are some brief instructions. I don't know why I found it so amusing that it tells you to "fling" it to the left, but let me tell you, it's exactly what you have to do. Just a tip for you lefties out there, the left thing is supposedly for someone who's right handed, so if you're struggling try going to the right.

As I only received it today, I can't really give a comprehensive review right away, but it's great fun and in 15-20 minutes I went from someone who hadn't used a hula hoop in ten years and had completely forgotten how to use one to being able to keep it up for 15 seconds. It doesn't sound a lot, but trust me, it feels like it; you can practically feel your core tightening!

Will keep you updated, but so far, great fun.

Purple Soft Silicone Xylo-Skin Case for the Apple iPod Touch 4 4G (8GB 32GB 64GB) MP3 Player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product, 4 Jan. 2013
This was a great little case. The purple is a little brighter than what is in the picture, but it's nice.

The gap at the bottom is good and allows you easy access to everything.

I've dropped my iPod so many times from heights, and onto surfaces, that by all rights really should have cracked the screen, (not to mention Apple's reputation for really delicate screens), but there isn't even a small crack.

However, I ripped the bottom left corner a bit, so the iPod keeps falling out (this wasn't a design fault, I did it myself).

All in all, a great product. Would buy again.

Large Recipe Journal: Mint Cupcake
Large Recipe Journal: Mint Cupcake
by New Holland Publishers

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product, 4 Jan. 2013
I received this recipe holder very quickly after ordering; it's the kind of service I'm starting to expect from Amazon now.

The book itself feels sturdy enough and had a decent amount of pages.

It came with dividers for lunch, and dessert, and breakfast etc, which I didn't want (although I understand that a lot of people do, so it's nice to have the option), so rather than kick up a fuss, I ripped them out, although I did keep them because of the beautiful images on them.

It has a nice bit in the back cover for holding loose bits of paper, very useful if a friend gives you a recipe.

All in all, a lovely little product.

Slated: Book 1: 1/3 (SLATED Trilogy)
Slated: Book 1: 1/3 (SLATED Trilogy)
by Teri Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read, 4 Jan. 2013
Slated is based on the premise that if you erase someone's memories, they'll be a completely different person entirely. A terrorist could become a gardener, a rapist could become a primary school teacher, a murderer could become a vet, and it works for anyone under the age of 16. Or does it?

Kyla seems to be the only exception to the rule (in this book at least). It's set in a dystopian England, frighteningly similar to what could happen if people did get out of hand now. Kyla's Slating should make her a docile, happy creature who floats long with life, but there seems to be something wrong: she's too inquisitive, too angry, and too clever for her own good.

For an avid reader like me, this was a decent sized book, somewhere around 440 pages. However, it is quite a slow-burning book, with less action than something more plot-driven, like Divergent, for instance. That said, it doesn't ruin the experience of the book, it's a nice break sometimes from something that requires a lot of focus and I never once had to re-read a page, or even a paragraph because something happened too quickly. However, Terry's excellent writing means that it's never boring, and I read it in little over a day. (I would have finished sooner, but my friend had a birthday party which I had to attend)

However, if you are thinking of buying this as a present for someone, I would make sure that they enjoy reading, and like to read a variety of different genres, as the book may be a little too slow for some people, as in total there is possibly a little over 3 medium-sized paragraphs of actual 'action'.

It's a bit of a breath of fresh air, actually. A lot of the books in the dystopian genre feel a bit as if they're basing themselves too much on the Hunger Games, and Divergent. They're full of action, and fighting, and overthrowing the current government, and while Slated still does bits of that, it manages to do it in an entirely different way, making it stand out from other books on the shelf. It's an interesting idea, and it feels more like it's setting up for the second book in the series, Fractured, but still worthy of a read.

Remington S8590 Keratin Therapy Pro Straightener
Remington S8590 Keratin Therapy Pro Straightener

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for frizzy hair, 2 Jan. 2013
After my mum 'misplaced' my straighteners, I needed some new ones. I did some research on the subject, and found Remington were highly recommended.

My old ones were a pair of GHD's which my mum got for a reduced price at around £90, I think. Now, I have very wavy; very very frizzy; and very, very, very thick hair. The GHD's worked well enough, but didn't always get the job done (but of course having nothing to compare it to, I didn't know it at the time).

I bought these in the Boxing Day sales when they were a couple of pennies over £30, and they really are worth it!

First things first: they look fabulous! I also liked the little inclusion of a carry-around pouch, very useful. The straighteners look very expensive and they feel a nice weight in your hands, making you feel as if you're using something special. I like the width of the barrel too, about a 1/3 larger then my old pair, meaning that I'm less likely to wrap my hands too far around and burn my fingers (by my rough estimation they're about 3cm wide). The cord I felt was plenty long enough and I loved that the cod swivelled at the base of the straighteners, meaning that you can rotate the pair without tangling the wire, which I know is a popular complaint amongst me and my friends. I also loved that you could lock the arms together for storage.

When I first started using it, I had it at 220 degrees, with the moisture sensor on. The first bit of hair straightened with one or two passes (my average is about 4 or 5), so I was extremely impressed with that, but then I noticed that they seemed to be cooling down, and weren't working. My first thought was that they must be faulty in some way. I then looked at the temperature (I had previously locked it) and saw that it was blinking, rather than holding steady like it should have been. So I waited until it got back up to temperature and went back to using them as normal. And then the same thing happened. So this time I decided that I would turn off the moisture sensor and, lo and behold, it worked just like a normal pair of straighteners. I then went back to the manual, and found that the moisture sensor sensed the amount of moisture in your hair (shocker) and then adjusted the temperature accordingly. So when I turned that off, it was fine and worked normally, keeping a steady temperature whilst they were on.

But that doesn't mean that that is always going to happen. It was more my fault than the straighteners, since I had, immediately before using the straighteners, put on some heat protection spray. So what it was reading was the amount of heat protection spray, rather than the actual amount of moisture in my hair. So in case you need to add heat protection whilst drying your hair (I don't since I normally let it dry naturally).

Afterwards, my hair was smooth, sleek, and shiny, and I felt great. It didn't take nearly as long as it did with my old GHD's, and they seem to work a lot better.

I love these straighteners. I think they were worth every penny of that £30 and I would certainly save for the normal £90 price. Great product; I would recommend them for everyone)

(tl;dr put on heat protection when drying your hair, great even for thick and frizzy hair, cannot gush enough)

Delirium (Delirium Trilogy 1): 1/3
Delirium (Delirium Trilogy 1): 1/3
by Lauren Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Delirium Review, 8 Feb. 2012
Delirium is a book about a dystopia in the not-too-far-away future. It's based around the whole idea that love is a disease that will ultimately kill you. To save you from `amor deliria nervosa', as it is known, on your 18th birthday, you are `cured', in what is effectively a lobotomy. Our heroine, Lena, is excited, counting down the days until her cure, since her mother died because of the disease, and her sister had been infected by it as well. But everything is not perfect, in this society; there are the Wilds, where the Invalids, the uncured live. There are people who get around the censors, who hold parties where uncured boys and girls illegally mix, the sympathisers, and the Invalids who live in society. Then one day, Lena meets Alex, and her whole life is turned upside-down.

The characters are strong, no-one feels, how do I put this, plastic, fake, like they were rushed up when they were needed, just because. Everyone fit, even the minor characters had a back story. The three characters, especially Hana and Lena, are extremely well developed. Their personalities are really strong, that you feel you understand them, even when it gets flipped upside-down, you feel you know them, and above all you know why. Not many books I've read have done this so well.

If you're looking for a fast action-filled book, this is not your kind of book. It's the first of three books, so works more on character development than all out action, which I'm grateful for; I don't think it would work as a stand-alone book. I myself am a young teenager, but this doesn't make my review any less worthy, in fact, I'm the target audience, so if anything, my review should count just as much as anyone else's. I've learnt patience, and am an avid reader, although I read mainly fiction. I think for many people my age, especially those that aren't as confident with reading, or aren't fast or just don't have enough patience, the book will be cast aside and probably not touched again, because of the pace it moves at. If you are considering buying this as a present, I would think it over very carefully, make sure that they love reading and preferably have patience, otherwise, I'd look else where. This book isn't for them.

It's not slow-moving, and it's not fast-paced either, it's a rubber duck, floating in a river. But don't think it's boring, there's no way it can be in my mind, sure there are bits that are slightly predictable, but there are parts that you won't guess. I'm not a crier, but it did bring tears to my eyes at parts, it's a love story, in a time where love is banned. Family love, laughing too loud, dancing, crying, listening to music too loudly, saying certain words, are condemned. They can get you killed, or worse. The end is heart-wrenching, leaving you begging for more, to find out what happens next, to know that everything will be all right. But in this story, you can't know that, it's impossible to know.

The writing, to me, is amost perfect. I would say pefect, but then again, nothing is ever perfect, but it's good enough to me. To me, comparing it to the Hunger Games (the first book), it manages to pull on your heart strings more successfully. For me, in the Hunger Games some deaths weren't as tragic as it could be, since you didn't get to know the characters as well, but here, even when it wasn't a death, it still hurt.

The curious thing here, is that, unlike most dystopia's that you read in fiction, where the controlling power controls the physical aspects of your life, while this is present to an extent, this is more about controlling your mind. At the start of every chapter is an excerpt from a book that is published in that world, which is propaganda, basically brainwashing you into thinking that the cure is almighty, that it fixes everything, that your life will be perfect, when in fact, you slowly come to realise, that the cure is worse, it is a fate worse than death. Lena slowly comes to realise this, and finally tries to make her mistake.

For those who love books about dystopia, I recommend this book very highly. It's great for me. People who know more than me about syntax and punctuation, and all of those kind of things, obviously will find more things to criticise, but at the moment, my only criticism, is that the second book can't come fast enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 11:33 AM BST

Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story

5.0 out of 5 stars The best present ever!, 4 Dec. 2010
OMG! I absolutely loved this book and many people are complaining about the italics, but I didn`t find that a problem at all. It was a great book that is well written and at times it felt like I could hear them speaking the words in my head.I found it really funny and it`s a lighthearted read. I got it for Christmas and it was well worth the money and the wait. If you love Ant and Dec you will absolutely adore this book. It was one of the best Christmas presents I have ever had.