Profile for Mr. K. R. Sadler > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. R. Sadler

Mr. K. R. Sadler (Dorset, UK)

20 pairs 3M E-A-R Classic Earplugs
20 pairs 3M E-A-R Classic Earplugs
Offered by TradeDirectOnline

5.0 out of 5 stars Allows a good nights sleep under canvas, 21 Aug. 2016
I recently used these on a camping trip. In the past I'd been kept awake by inconsiderate campers making noise until the early hours. These worked really well when I used them one night where there was a distant concert with fireworks. Make sure you follow the instructions - roll the plug between your thumb and finger to squash it into a cone, then insert it. Keep your finger on the end to hold in in place for 10 seconds or so while it expands to fill your ear and will stay put all night. You will feel it in your ear, but it is not uncomfortable or irritating.

COOLEAD- High Quality USB Cable Cord for Apple Ipod Shuffle and Shuffle Clip 3rd Gen and 4th Gen - iPod Shuffle USB Charging and Sync Cable, Compatible with Macs and PCs
Offered by COOLEAD

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly wired, 16 Nov. 2015
Charged the ipod but transferring files would keep failing. Just after I'd had it 24 hours the USB plug separated from the cable. I think it was poorly wired up.

Samsung Fit-In Earphones for Galaxy S6 - Blue
Samsung Fit-In Earphones for Galaxy S6 - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the "horns", 13 Nov. 2015
In looking for new earphones I was generally put off by the new trend for "horns" on them. I was reassured with these ones because I saw from the product photography that there were spare caps without the horns. Having tried them I can say that they fit really well, are comfortable and don't fall out. I use my earphones while running and the original Samsung ones that came with my Galaxy S5 were a bit loose. An added benefit of the horns is that you can immediately tell which side they fit without having to look for the tiny "L" or "R" on them: the horns point forwards. The remote control works well too, it is easy to adjust the volume or pause the sound.

The Man Who Folded Himself
The Man Who Folded Himself

4.0 out of 5 stars I've never heard it called "folded" before!, 9 Dec. 2013
This is a very interesting book. They say don't judge a book by it's cover - if you were you might expect to read of adventures in ancient Egypt and the far future. There is none of that. Dan, our hero, seems to have had some interesting trips through time but none of that is related in any detail, the book is concerned with the introspective musings on the nature of time, alternate times streams and being rather obsessed with himself. As such it is quite thought provoking and I often felt myself drifting off in philosophical thought, and had to pull myself back to the story.

I found the first quarter of the book to be very interesting and a real page turner. The second quarter I found to be rather dull, but it picked up for the second half. I had a vague idea where it was going but it was interesting to see how it all turned out. I would have liked to see a bit more adventure.

I can't help thinking that Dan rather wasted the potential of the time belt. Rather like a teenager who wins the lottery and spends the lot on "adult magazines".

Serial Bluetooth Module - RF Transceiver RS232 for Arduino
Serial Bluetooth Module - RF Transceiver RS232 for Arduino

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little bluetooth for the Arduino, 23 Nov. 2012
This is a great little peice of kit that will allow you to wirelessly hook up your arduino. The module was shipped direct from China and took just over 3 weeks to arrive, which if you want one of these at a low price is a reasonable time to wait. There is no datashett or instructions with it so this might help you get started...

There are a lot of articles about this sort of module online, this one has 6 pins which is unusual, here are some notes to get you going...

GND - connect to GND on the Arduino
VCC - connect to 5V on the Arduino
V33 - connect to 3.3V supply on the Arduino (UNO)
TX - connect to RX on the arduino
RX - connect to TX
KEY - this is uncommon on these but what it appears to do is make the module forget the last paired device, leave un connected.

Both power connections are needed (I left off the 5V and it was unable to receive).

Other info - the device will show up with the name linvor and the baud rate is 9600 (but it is possible to increase this by reprogramming the module with AT commands, for which you may need a USB to serial adaptor). When you connect your PC will assign a new COM port to the bluetooth connection - you'll need to know this to connect with puTTY or serial monitor.

Initially the red LED will blink fast, it will blink slowly when paired and then when you have a serial connection (e.g. connected with puTTY or the serial monitor) it will be constant.

Disconnect the module from the arduino when you are uploading sketches via USB otherwise the transfer fails (the USB needs the RX and TX ports). When the sketch is loaded poweroff the arduino reconnect the bluetooth module and then re-pair and you should be in business.

In theory it may be possible to upload skectches via bluetooth, but I haven't tried that yet.

Pelikan Griffix Learnwriter Fountain Pen  Pink Right-Handed
Pelikan Griffix Learnwriter Fountain Pen Pink Right-Handed

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new ink pen owner, 12 Jun. 2010
Bought this for my daughter and she loves it. She's had it for 2 years now and still enjoys using it. I wondered about passing it on to her sister and buying her something different but she won't hear of it so I'm about to buy another one! Good you can get it in different colours. No negatives at all really!

Eurovision Song Contest 2010
Eurovision Song Contest 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars The winner and other good songs are album only, 30 May 2010
Lena's winning song is great, but it is a pity that we are not free to download it by itself, I would not want a whole album. I wonder if I can find anywhere else to get just that song from?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2010 2:19 PM BST

Captain Scott
Captain Scott
by Ranulph Fiennes

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling - you can sense the isolation of Antarctica!, 17 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Captain Scott (Paperback)
My wife selected this book for me to read. I was a little surprised by the choice as at the time I didn't read biographies and was somewhat suspicious that the authors own polar adventures would pop up as unwelcome intrusions into Scott's story. Instead I was almost instantly hooked. My concerns about the author were misplaced. The story is so well told that you can sense the isolation and the extreme cold that these brave men must have felt.

As a result of this book I have gone on to read other biographies.

Red Partisan: The Memoirs of a Soviet Resistance Fighter on the Eastern Front
Red Partisan: The Memoirs of a Soviet Resistance Fighter on the Eastern Front
by Nikolai I. Obryn'ba

5.0 out of 5 stars An artist, a volunteer, a POW, a partisan, 23 Oct. 2007
Five stars - five RED stars!
This is gripping stuff, a joy to read and hard to put down. It tells of the experiences from the Eastern Front from the point of view of an artist fighting as a volunteer in the Red Army. Disaster strikes early on and he and his comrades are taken prisoner. The account of life as a POW is very interesting with, surprisingly, sympathetic characters on both sides. Once he escapes he joins the partisans fighting the German invaders in Belarus. The book ends promptly at the point where the author is back over the front line, I'd like to have heard a little more about what he got up to for the rest of the war and briefly of his life afterwards.

Tefal grater
Tefal grater

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't live without this, 1 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Tefal grater (Kitchen & Home)
Honestly we couldn't.... The other reviewer is right it doesn't take much cheese, but I am happier to keep refilling it than shred my fingers using a normal grater.
Thanks to Amazon for stocking this for such a good price. Everyone who has seen this wants one, I'm ordering one for my mum too.