Profile for Peter H > Reviews

Content by Peter H

Peter H (Utrecht, Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2
Ten Love Songs
Ten Love Songs

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing album..., 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Ten Love Songs (Audio CD)
After the previous two albums (The Brothel and The Sillicone Veil) my expectations for Susanne Sundfor's new album were quite high. Unfortunately Ten Love Songs didn't meet my expectations at all. The album contains a lot of annoyingly monotonic and disco-like drum computers (of the worst kind, bad 80's computer beats) and is very bombastic and over produced. I consider Ten Love Songs to be her worst album so far and hope she will manage to make a better one next time (which won't be that difficult).

Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Genesis
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars It really looked like the makers of this documentary have something against this ..., 18 Nov. 2014
As a big Genesis fan since 1978, I haven't seen Genesis live in its most famous setting (you know the one I mean) ever. Of course, after having "discovered" Genesis in 1978, I have been checking out all (previous) members' music too. This means Anthony Phillips, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. The latter two I've seen many times live performing solo with their own band. The most recent concert was Steve Hackett's in Uden, Netherlands in May or so. I was really, really completely flabbergasted after watching the whole documentary and even its additional interviews. Was Steve Hackett ever a member of this band? Did he make over a dozen solo albums? Did he have a big influence on the sound of Genesis on their albums from 1971 to 1977? It really looked like the makers of this documentary have something against this very humble, sympathetic man. Hardly any time of the 90 minutes documentary is spent on Steve and even the additional interviews: nothing. This is just unbelievable and unforgivable and a real shame. The BBC - known for their quality documentaries of all kinds - really disappointed to an incredible level. Not only didn't they give Steve Hackett the amount of time he should've been given, they also "forgot" Selling England By The Pound being most fans' favourite album. Obviously the makers were no real fans. Real fans would never have made these unforgivable mistakes.
I've given this 3 stars, only for the fact that this is interesting (in general, not for the real fans) and that it's the only docu available on blu-ray. As a fan I would only give one star. Hadn't the BBC "forgotten" about all things mentioned in my review (and in many others), this might have been a 5 star. What a shame!!!!!!

Rihanna: Loud Tour Live At The O2 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Rihanna: Loud Tour Live At The O2 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Rihanna
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Very, very bad audio..., 7 Feb. 2013
I really appreciate Rihanna as an artist, and to be honest: the show is quite alright. But the audio on the blu-ray couldn't have been much worse. Awful! No dynamics at all. It's a real shame.

Secret World Live [Blu-ray]
Secret World Live [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Peter Gabriel
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing upgrade from the dvd!, 20 July 2012
I have to say that I've always liked Secret World Live very much. However, I was really disappointed by the image quality offered on the dvd. The sound on the dvd was very good. Just like the previous reviewer I've attended the 'real thing' (twice), if I remember correctly, during two consecutive days in April 1994. The show was astonishing.

Checking Amazon and finding out about Secret World Live being released on blu-ray, I was hugely suprised. Of course, my doubts about the image quality were obvious. After checking out Peter Gabriel's website and watching the movie about the 'restauration' and editing of the source material, my confidence grew. They've really put a lot of work into it.

Watching the blu-ray for the first time was a bit like a shock: the quality has been increased enormously. The grain has been reduced a lot and the image looks really amazing. There is some difference in the quality of the shots, due to the fact that different kind of cameras have been used. However, nothing to worry about. The sound is amazing too, with an HD Master Audio track and a PCM track.

I've played the concert several times so far and I have to state that this is definitely his best show captured on film/video. New Blood is a fabulous blu-ray too, but due to the orchestra, it is something completely different. Nevertheless, I like that one very much too. Even though New Blood has (of course) a better image quality (simply because of the fact that the latest high tech equipment has been used and Secret World is 18 years old), I think this one is the ultimate Peter Gabriel concert experience available,

My favourite songs are Across The River, Shaking The Tree, Blood Of Eden, San Jacinto, Digging In The Dirt and (for sure) Secret World. I never understood why Red Rain was a bonus track and was not a part of the entire concert though.

Another fact really worth mentioning is that Paula Cole is taking care of the background vocals. She's really done a fantastic job in Blood Of Eden and Don't Give Up (doing the vocal part which originally was sung by Kate Bush).

Secret World Live on blu-ray is an absolute must have concert registration!

Journey to Fearless [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]
Journey to Fearless [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great blu-ray. Be warned: region A only!, 13 April 2012
As I have a region B and a region A blu-ray player, I can play (about) every disc available. I live in Europe (region B area), so I have to play this Taylor Swift blu-ray using my region A player. It's a great source of information on Taylor Swift's career so far and contains nice live appearances too. However, remember it's region A only!

Ledlenser K3 Key-Ring LED Torch (Black) - Gift Box, 8313
Ledlenser K3 Key-Ring LED Torch (Black) - Gift Box, 8313

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little torch but feels less solid than my other Led Lensers, 7 Dec. 2011
This is a nice, small key ring torch which produces a good amount of light. Putting the batteries inside requires a trick however: putting them in correctly one by one is almost impossible. Putting all four of them on top of eachother and then putting the torch over the pile of batteries works fine. Only one thing could be better: the head of the torch doesn't feel as solid as expected (a bit loose). That's why I only gave 4 stars.

In Concert: Live At Sibelius Hall
In Concert: Live At Sibelius Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Christmas music performance, image quality below average, 7 Dec. 2011
Today I received this Christmas blu-ray / cd combo box. Church organ, (electric and acoustic) guitar and percussion together with Tarja Turunen's classical trained voice make this quite a different Christmas experience. Nothing wrong so far. The songs, the voice and the performance in general are really nice. The sound is also more than OK, the image quality, however, doesn't meet my expectations and is obviously below average. The image is very soft, not really sharp and, because of this, lacks detail. Not (much) better than a normal dvd. Because I appreciate the fact that a concert like this is being released (and I'm in a generous mood), I gave it 3 stars (otherwise I would have given only 2).

Live From The Royal Albert Hall [Blu-ray] [2010]
Live From The Royal Albert Hall [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Joe Bonamassa

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concert, below average image quality, 8 Oct. 2011
I didn't know the music of Joe Bonamassa before buying this blu-ray. I really have to say I like it quite a lot. I'm only disappointed by the image quality of this release. It is obviously below average: the image often is soft (even unsharp), Joe's face often is overexposed and there's a general lack of detail. It looks like most cameras used are not HD. I own over 75 music blu-rays and this one is among the ten worst (regarding image quality). It's a shame.

The Killing - Series 1 [DVD] [2010]
The Killing - Series 1 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sofie Gråbøl

5.0 out of 5 stars There's nothing better!, 17 April 2011
I've seen this series (on dvd) a few months ago and it's just fabulous. I've seen lots of series, both European and American, but this is one of the very few ones that keeps you on the edge of your seat from the first minute all the way up to the last one (about 20 hours later). It's a must-see for sure!

I can also fully recommend series 2. It's almost of the same outstanding quality as series 1 ('only' 10 hours in length though)!

Nightwish - End Of An Era [Blu-ray] [2005] [2009] [Region Free]
Nightwish - End Of An Era [Blu-ray] [2005] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Nightwish

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture quality below expectations, 10 Jun. 2009
The blu-ray version of Nightwish's End Of An Era is a little disappointing, to be honest. I expected more. The visual quality sometimes looks like HiDef, most of the time - however - it only looks slightly better than the dvd. This is less than I expected. A few close-ups of the keyboards even have visible digital 'mistakes'. Could have been better. If you own the dvd, I don't know whether I would buy this blu-ray too.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2011 5:01 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2