Profile for Scuder > Reviews

Scuder

YBIKE (Green)
YBIKE (Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up to the YBike, 24 Jan. 2012
This review is from: YBIKE Balance Bike (Sports)
I bought this 'motorcycle' for my son's 2nd birthday. I was looking for a balance bike, but the timber ones I'd seen around are all very expensive. I found this one, and the price seemed right. We were a bit worried he'd be too small for it, but he got right on it and started cruising around. It's definitely a favourite of his - a great purchase. And it looks cool. It handles well, is sturdy, acts like a balance bike, but stands on it's own because of the thick back wheel.

Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with your Baby
by Melinda Blau

1.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to create a Disjointed and Disenfranchised Society, 18 Dec. 2011
A friend recommended this book when I was pregnant with my son (now 2). At first I found it surprisingly counter-intuitive (such as all the advice about not rocking your baby, etc. - totally disregards the fact that the baby has been moving with you for the past 9 months inside), and thought the E.A.S.Y routine would be....well, easy. Although I found her charts on baby body language useful for the first few weeks, I have to say I grew to despise the rest of the book, from her condescending tone to the clearly unscientific advice (which is really just opinion). I've no doubt that she was good at her job, but her job was taking care of other people's babies. Why would a mother want to approach her role as though it's a job (which is clearly how Tracy Hogg is approaching it - this is just a management book)? Yes, motherhood is difficult, especially for the first few months (to be honest I found it really difficult for the first 8 months, then slightly easier after the first year, and now mostly a joy). If you have a baby that seems to take to the E.A.S.Y routine, then great, but if not, please don't try to make it, suppressing all your natural instincts. It will only make you and your baby miserable. Motherhood is a long journey, and the goal is not to produce a baby who sleeps through the night (alone, in its own bed), but to produce a happy and well adjusted human being who will fit in to society with a clear understanding of who he or she is.

It makes me sad to read all the rave reviews for this book that seem to suggest there are only 2 options for parenting one's children - following Gina Ford's advice or following Tracy Hogg's. I wish people would actually start thinking about how what they do to their babies and how they treat them will have a massive effect on the rest of their lives. For all her talk about 'respecting' the baby, it's clear that she's not really listening. If we lived in a world where everyone was truly happy and we lived in harmony with eachother and the environment, then maybe we should just keep on doing what we've been doing. But I think we need to have a re-think and the best place to start is at the beginning...I totally agree with all the other 1 star reviews of this book. I recommend for expectant mothers The Continuum Concept (Jean Liedloff) and What Mothers Do by Naomi Stadlen. Neither are 'how to' or management books, but both will give you a better understanding of what it means to be a parent.