Profile for Joanna Woodcock > Reviews

Content by Joanna Woodcock

Joanna Woodcock "Jojo" (Oxford, England)

She Means Business: Turn Your Ideas into Reality and Become a Wildly Successful Entrepreneur
by Carrie Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any entrepreneur or aspiring entrepreneur, 7 Mar. 2017
I pre-ordered this book and then waited excitedly at the letter box every day, I couldn't wait to read it. I am three years into my business and was feeling in need of a little inspiration. Once it arrived I read it in one sitting. Some days I get overwhelmed and don't know if I should keep going with my business as there are massive highs but also it is so hard at times. This book was incredibly reassuring and Carrie describes the difficulties she has faced and the difficulties other female entrepreneurs have faced. She also describes really useful techniques to get through the difficult moments including visualisation. Reading the book has definitely helped me and put me in a different frame of mind. I am facing a big opportunity and instead of shying away from it as I would normally do, I feel ready to tackle it head on. Thank you Carrie for sharing your story and helping me to hold steady.

How to Leave a Bully
How to Leave a Bully

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be called Everything you need to know to survive life, 4 Jun. 2013
I wanted to read Katie's book because I myself was stuck in a pattern of unhealthy relationships for a number of years. I thought I would read Katie's book and relate it to my past and understand some of the contents but I didn't think I would find it so relevant to me now. In fact my only criticism of this book is that it is not called Everything you need to know to survive life.

I sat down and read the 88 pages of this book in one sitting, once I started I was hooked. Katie's advice in the book is so practical about everything relationships, legal advice, finances, confidence, dating, health and even sex. I have not read many books on the subject of domestic abuse but I imagine they focus on how you are coping emotionally, but whilst that is all well and good you do need to pay your bills, survive and learn to move on.

I have had to make new starts several times in my life, a break up of a relationship, moving for work, changing jobs, starting my own business and a lot of the advice in the book is relevant to all of these situations and just being a single person living in the world in general, I found the `confiding in others' and the `planning your finances' sections particularly useful.

It is hard when you only have yourself to rely on when it comes to finances, you do need to learn to be sensible especially when living in an expensive city like Oxford. Katie's budgeting tips are awesome and obviously I especially liked it when she recommended clothes swapping.

The other bit of the book that I really liked and related to was the bit about the best confidantes in life are `non judgemental' and people who have seen their own stresses and how it is not always your closest friends and family that will be able to give you the best advice. This is often true in my case, I love my family but they haven't started businesses or been through some of the things that I have. I have found a strong network of confidantes through Fe-line Women that I now know that I can turn to with different problems.

I was so inspired by this book to streamline my life that I wrote a big long list in the back of things I want to do with my own life, my favourite being `make everything clear, concise and simple.' I am on a mission to organise my life after reading this, my finances and work.

I think a good way to summarise How to leave a bully is to say that it offers people that are in an abusive relationships, clear, concise and simple advice to leaving their relationship and restarting their lives. BUT I would recommend this book to anyone leaving any relationship abusive or not, starting their own in business or moving to a new area for work.

I only hope that this book kick starts Katie's writing career and she writes more about topics like confidence, finances and being a woman in business. She is an incredibly awesome woman with an amazing future.

More to Life Than Shoes: How to Kick-start Your Career and Change Your Life
More to Life Than Shoes: How to Kick-start Your Career and Change Your Life
by Nadia Finer

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on sisters, 27 April 2011
Have you ever had one of those days, weeks or years where all you seem to be saying is "I can't", "I'm not pretty enough", "I wish I could but..." or "I hate my job and wish I could be a wing-walker", well if you have then this is the book for you. It leaves you feeling that you can take on the world, if that is what you want to do of course!

As women we so often have images of scantily clad vacuous celebs thrown in our faces that we can easily fall into the trap that this is what we need to aspire to. What this book does is say: `hang on a minute what about these awesome, inspiring women who are doing amazing things'.

The book is a series of interviews, joined up by a funny and human narrative from Nadia Finer and Emily Nash. A real mixture of women are interviewed in the book highlighting that there are many different ways to do something that you are passionate about. All the way through reading these interviews I was yelling "right on sister." My personal favourites were Sharon Barry for starting Storybook Dads a charity that helps prisoners to read bedtime stories to their kids and Annie Nightingale for still rocking at 69.

Along side the interviews there are some really useful top tips boxes, for example I liked the one on staying calm. A great resources section at the back, I can see myself returning to it time and time again for direction. And the More To Life Than Shoes manifesto that I am going to pin on my wall! So the next time I catch myself moaning "I can't" I'll remember the inspiration I felt when reading this book!

A fantastic read. I would highly recommend this book to any one, man or woman, who knows that there is something more out there for them but just needs a little help where to start!