Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Kirkcaldy, Fife United Kingdom)

Creation Station 115 x 11 mm Lollipop Sticks, Pack of 1000, Natural
Creation Station 115 x 11 mm Lollipop Sticks, Pack of 1000, Natural

5.0 out of 5 stars And for a great price. What's not to like, 5 Dec. 2015
Exactly as described. Exactly what I wanted. Delivered speedily. And for a great price. What's not to like?
Recommended.

100 Days of Hope and Fear: How Scotland's Referendum was Lost and Won
100 Days of Hope and Fear: How Scotland's Referendum was Lost and Won

4.0 out of 5 stars The one thing that Mr Torrance does deserve credit for (and for which I would happily rate this book at 4, 21 Dec. 2014
I don't ever do usually do reviews on books, but I feel it only fair in this case as I have read it over the past 2 days and was really 'caught up' in Scotland's referendum campaign.
First of all, I think it only fair to you, to put my comments in context; i.e. where am I 'coming from?. I am not, nor ever have been a member of any political party. I have no 'allegiance' to any part of the political spectrum. On many issues my friends will describe me as left-of-centre, and as many of my other friends will describe me as right-of-centre on just as many other issues. As a (young) 52 year old I have voted at different times for the Conservatives, the Labour Party, the SNP (for Holyrood elections), Lib-Dem, at one time the Scottish Socialist Party and even UKIP (once!). I went into the independence debate as a generally neutral person who was inclined to vote Yes, but became an ardent NO voter by the time of the referendum vote. I was born, lived, worked and run businesses in Scotland my whole life.
I followed the referendum campaign with intense concentration and seen, first hand, the exciting engagement in politics the electorate had and it was, for me, an exciting and at times very scary journey given what I was seeing happening in my country but this is not about me, but Mr Torrances's book.

So, to Mr Torrance's book. It is his 'diary' of his 100 days prior to Scotland's historic vote. Initially, my first thought was to rate it at 3, but, on balance I think that was unfair. I got, at times, a bit irritated at the numerous references to where he ate, how he travelled and how many times he used his (obviously beloved Brompton bike). However, on reflection this did provide an unique insight into the daily life of a freelance journalist and that was tangential to the 'referendum' but was, for me, interesting.

I think he could have given more detail of what he experienced (i.e. the meetings he attended, who said what etc); but sometimes he glossed over this far too much for my liking. I wanted more detail, analysis, observation and critical comment.

The one thing that Mr Torrance does deserve credit for (and for which I would happily rate this book at 4.25/maybe even 4.5) is that he assiduously remained as far as he could,'professionally neutral'. The one thing that struck me was when he was constantly asked by various media (e.g. the BBC) what 'position' he took on the independence debate (i.e. was he a 'Yes' or a 'No') he 'stuck to his guns' and decided, as a journalist, to be 'neutral'.

For me, personally, the day (quality) journalists start being extensions of political parties and stop asking the difficult, awkward and uncomfortable questions that politicians don't want to be asked, is the day we all move to a new Soviet Union. For that, Mr Torrance deserves, indeed, needs, to be listened to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2015 9:18 PM GMT

NLP Hypnosis Mentalism: 8 Insane Products That Will Make You A MASTER At Covert Hypnosis

1.0 out of 5 stars What a con!, 8 Sept. 2013
I thought - £0.77p (GBP) - it's worth a punt, but what you get is is a list of web links that all start with [...] by various titles such as - these are my examples - covertthypnosis/secrets of conversationalhypnosis etc etc. The tinyurl.com prefix gives the game away. This is no more than a marketing ploy to direct web traffic to specific sites offering products for sale (and all these websites use the tinyurl.com prefix). Personally speaking, you could do a web search for nothing and get this information (in fact better information) for free. There isn't even a recommendation or assessment of the sites, just a list. The author even says there is no order of priority for the sites listed so the last one listed maybe even more useful than the first. I know it's only a small amount of money (less than a cup of coffee in a coffee shop), but this book is taking you for a mug.

DECAdry Premium Certificates Watermarked 115gsm A4 Emerald Green Ref OSD4054 [Pack of 25]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 13 Jun. 2013
Value for money and exactly what I needed to make certificates for a course I was running. Excellent quality too.

Taylor of Old Bond Street 150g Lemon and Lime Shaving Cream Bowl
Taylor of Old Bond Street 150g Lemon and Lime Shaving Cream Bowl
Offered by For Men's Grooming

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 13 Jun. 2013
Very reasonably priced premium product that I would use again. It's not, imho, as good as Trumper's cream but is very close and at almost half the price excellent value.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, inexpensive and does the business., 22 April 2012
It does what you would expect. It doesn't look 'cheap', but is inexpensive. Why pay over the odds for something like this when this one will do the same job!

How To Start Your Own Travel Agency Business (How To Become A Travel Agent Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Short, very short guide., 22 April 2012
This is a very short guide, which would not matter if a lot of the information wasn't just about basic business skills such how to raise finance to start a business or how to use internet marketing. Don't waste your money. You can find more and better information for free.

Employment Law: An Adviser's Handbook
Employment Law: An Adviser's Handbook
by Thomas Kibling

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Delivers the goods!, 14 Aug. 2004
I have never been at an Employment Tribunal in my life and knew very little (probably nothing actually)about employment law. I am in the position however, of having to take my employer to an ET. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Even if you are going to go to a solicitor I am a great believer that you should know enough about a situation to be able to ask the right questions and understand the answers. I went to a solicitor who set me on the right track and this book provided a wealth of information to enable me to 'run' an application for an ET myself. I've read other books Employment Tribunals (the Inns of Court publication is another one I'd recommend) and I'm a believer that no one publication can have all the answers, but this one has been the foundation to all the others for me - it's highly detailed, yet written for any reasonably competent person who is able to read. Books on the law and how a layperson can use it are very rare - this one delivers. My thanks to Tamara Lewis.