Profile for Grazia Valentino-Boschi > Reviews

Content by Grazia Valenti...

Grazia Valentino-Boschi

The Expats
The Expats

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - highly recommended, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
Initially, I wasn't going to buy this because of some of the negative reviews. However, I am so glad I did. This is one of the best books I have read this year.

Well-written, good grammar plus a story that kept me enthralled all the way through, with twists and turns that were well thought out.

It is fast-paced and does jump from location to location, but that is part of the tension-building and isn't difficult to follow.

I hope the next one will be as good. I am sure someone will buy the film rights to this.

Menagerie Manor (Bello)
Menagerie Manor (Bello)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and charming, 15 Aug. 2012
I only bought one of the books on offer at 99p and I really regret that decision. I didn't think I would enjoy the book, but bought it as I thought I should read it. How wrong was I - it was totally brilliant, well-written, extremely funny and left me wanting to know more about the residents of the zoo. Of course, the animals are described in a somewhat anthropomorphic style, but that just adds to the charm.

The House of the Wicked (a psychological thriller combining mystery, murder, crime and suspense)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Aug. 2012
Well-written, with plenty of twists and turns. Every time I thought I had worked out who had done what, I was proved wrong, which just added to the suspense and the desire to know. Coincidentally, I have just returned from a short trip to Cornwall, where I visited a museum that brought the book to life, from seine nets to a photo of a young man of just 21 who died at sea only a few years ago. The beautiful coastline and the thrilling but scary power of the sea were well described in the book. Highly recommended.

Oliver Twisted
Oliver Twisted

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, imaginative and no typos!, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Oliver Twisted (Kindle Edition)
A very clever reworking of Oliver Twist. The author has a great imagination using the original as a springboard into an even darker era than the one Dickens knew. I enjoyed this from the beginning once I understood that although I knew the original story, this is so very different. But so very compelling and enjoyable.

The use of language and vocabulary is excellent - I even learned a few new words. What I found extraordinary was that this was obviously a professionally written and edited book - not one single typo, nor incorrect tenses, etc., often blamed on "digitisation". This book shows that only a bad workman blames his tools.

Looking forward to the next book.

Cross Dressed to Kill
Cross Dressed to Kill

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Oct. 2011
An amazing book, full of humour. The main character, a murderer almost despite himself, is extremely likeable (sympatique - no equivalent in English) and you find yourself rooting for him. The plot is ingenious, with good twists and turns.

I had to ration myself so that I didn't finish it too quickly as I was really enjoying it and I feel sad it is over!

Some spelling and grammatical errors (which ALWAYS wind me up), but not sure if these are due to conversion to digital or actually errors made by the author and missed by editors who seem to be getting more illiterate by the day.

I highly recommend it. Off to see what else this author has written.

Locked In (Jessica Daniel Book 1)
Locked In (Jessica Daniel Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't editors exist anymore to correct errors? Is this a "self-published" book?, 26 Sept. 2011
Dear Kerry Wilkinson

I have only given you two stars because of the terrible grammatical errors throughout the book. Shame, as the story wasn't bad.

May I suggest that you ask someone to proof read your manuscripts physically before they go to print? Using MS spell-check is not enough.

For example, did you know that when Jessica laid down on her bed, she "laid" down, not "led" down.

When someone looked at something, they "peeked" not "peaked" - the latter has nothing to do with looking.

Oh, and your use of hyphens drove me bonkers, putting them in when unnecessary and forgetting them when they were needed.

Some of the punctuation errors could be blamed on conversion to digital, but not all.

I don't think I shall be buying the second book.....
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 8:19 AM BST

Heavens Fire
Heavens Fire
by Kizzi Nkwocha
Edition: Perfect Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Shows promise for a first book, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Heavens Fire (Perfect Paperback)
Kizzi's first book shows a lot of promise. Well-researched, with some good creative ideas, this is an excellent summer read as it keeps you interested, wanting to know what happens next.

People will compare this to Dan Brown and others of that ilk; however, this is already less facile than Brown's books, with verifiable historical facts.

If I had a criticism, it would be that the book was probably a little too short, which meant that the character development was not as complete as it might have been - and it only lasted about a day the rate I read! But Kizzi should be able to address that in any future novels.

I am looking forward to his next book.