Profile for VVass > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Letting You Go
Letting You Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 17 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Letting You Go (Kindle Edition)
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review. This is the story of Alex, who blames herself for a family tragedy and has stayed away from home until she gets a call telling her her mother is ill. Alex has until now, been living an almost half life as a way of punishing herself for past events. We see her go back to her home town, and face her family and those she used to know. Alex is annoying at times, I wished that she would just open up, face her feelings and stop running, but that is also why I loved her as a character so much. This book made me laugh and cry, and I would happily read it again.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it but......, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I found it a little difficult to get into, but I think that was because I couldn't warm to either of the main characters. I did get hooked by the story, and found myself very intrigued to find out what had really happened & when that had become clear, what was going to happen next. I won't spoil anything, but I was a little disappointed with the ending, I wanted slightly more closure, and the feeling that someone had got their comeuppance, although I guess there could always be a sequel?!

The Third Wife
The Third Wife

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read., 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Third Wife (Kindle Edition)
I found this book quite slow moving at first, and found the beginning quite hard to get into. I think there was too long getting to the story of what had happened go Maya, although I understood why this was done & all the background is relevant. Once I got past halfway through the book, I couldn't put it down. A very good read.

Point of No Return (The Kathleen Turner Series Book 5)
Point of No Return (The Kathleen Turner Series Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down!, 23 Jun. 2014
Once again, I was completely hooked by the next book in the series. I had thought that maybe by book 5 some of the tension and subject matter would have begun to lose it's intensity, but I was wrong. I was totally gripped, right from the beginning, and was up reading till the early hours of the morning as I could not put this book down. I'm gutted to have finished it and the series, so may just have to read them again, as I haven't yet found anything that compares.

Turn On A Dime - Blane's Turn (The Kathleen Turner Series)
Turn On A Dime - Blane's Turn (The Kathleen Turner Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, perfect companion to the series, 23 Jun. 2014
I was a bit concerned that this would be boring considering it is Blane's take on the events in the first book in the Kathleen Turner series, but I was totally wrong. It still held utterly the same suspense and tension as the novel it is a companion to, and was good to see the workings of Blane's mind and how he see's events unfolding. I wish there were companions to all the books in the series, as I've read them all and am so disappointed to have come to the end of them. Looking forward to reading Kade's turn when it's released.

The Right Thing
The Right Thing
by Amy Conner

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Right Thing (Paperback)
It took me a while to get into this book, but the more I read, the more I enjoyed it. At first I found myself taking a dislike to Annie, but as I read more about her, I began to realise that she was subject to many of the same issues we still face today, trying to fit in when you feel like you really don't, trying to live up to everyone's expectations, and trying ultimately because of ones on perceived failings & shortcomings to be something you are not. I liked the friendship between Annie and Starr, and how they both fought against the prejudices the faced in light of their friendship. I enjoyed the character development and the descriptive nature of the book, and would happily read more by this author. This is a book that left me happy with it's ending, and not one that cut off too soon, or left the reader hanging, and I like that.

Keep Your Friends Close
Keep Your Friends Close

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, brilliant book, 19 May 2014
I absolutely loved this book, I couldn't put it down. I loved the setting, I've visited Bowness before and I could picture the town as it was being described. The characters were, I felt, well rounded and believable, I empathised with Natty, and could see all too well how easy it is to become so caught up in having the seemingly perfect life, that you forget what is actually important. I actually found myself hating Eve, and not only for what she did to her friend, but for her total lack of respect for anyone or anything. She is never the subject of a character assassination, but, through her own thoughts and actions, the reader genuinely dislikes her, even when some aspects of her past are revealed, which may be to try to show somehow why she is the way she is. My only complaint about this book, is the ending, I think it's a little abrupt, and maybe could have benefited from one final chapter letting us know how the characters had dealt with the events in the book.

Out of Turn (The Kathleen Turner Series Book 4)
Out of Turn (The Kathleen Turner Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still as gripping, 1 Jan. 2014
I love this book just as much as the others as the others in the series if not more. I really enjoyed the character development and the story is still fresh despite being the fourth in the series. Have already pre-ordered the next instalment as I can't wait see what happens next.

Ten Years On
Ten Years On

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book about love & loss, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ten Years On (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure if this book would be depressing, given the subject matter, but I was wrong. The author doesn't shy away from dealing with Becca's grief, but doesn't get bogged down by it. It's nice to have the chapters from the past filling in the gaps, so you can see what happened and how the characters got to where they are now. It's also lovely to see the relationship with Becca & Joe developing and how Becca deals with this alongside her grief. An uplifting read

By My Side
By My Side

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh & cry!, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: By My Side (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It deals with hard issues in a sensitive way but doesn't patronise or trivialise them. In fact it shows the hard and sometimes gritty truth of finding yourself in the situation where you have to adapt your whole life following an injury, and the dark side of dealing with this. However the book never lets you lose hope. I absolutely love Ticket, he's awesome, and I love the relationship between Cass & him. I also like that the book doesn't shy away from highlighting able bodied peoples ignorances, like asking someone in a wheelchair if they can walk up the stairs!! I've lost count of the times I've heard that one!
I was hooked from the beginning of this book, and it made me laugh and cry. I think this is my favourite of Alice Petersons books by far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3