Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Taxi/Taxi 2 [DVD]
Taxi/Taxi 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sammy Naceri

3.0 out of 5 stars Tres cheesy pour moi, 2 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Taxi/Taxi 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Dont get me wrong the car and bike scenes in these films are totally excellent and well choreographed but the script is too cheesy and cliched for me. This is a collection of the two taxi films (I believe there is a third now released) which I bought on high recommendations on this website as they said they were both cool, high octane movies with great soundtracks. They were correct on one point these films do have great hip hop soundtracks but unfortunately the excellent car stunts are overshadowed by a cliched and cheesy plot line. Worth three stars for the music and stunts though.

Hoy Yen Assn
Hoy Yen Assn
Offered by Disco100

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit different from the rest, 2 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Hoy Yen Assn (Audio CD)
As the title suggests I feel this cd falls well below what I have come to expect from Tommy. I absolutely loved his Another Late Night compilation and consequently bought Soul Food Taqueria. This collection of his own tracks cemented my love of Tommy and his funky output. I immediately tracked down further releases and came across this one. I have found this album a little too mechanical and urban for me and quite a long way from the funk and soul of his previous releases. Its not all bad and there are some good tracks its just a little bit too different from the rest for me.

Back to Mine - Carl Cox
Back to Mine - Carl Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars The soulful side of Mr Cox, 25 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Back to Mine - Carl Cox (Audio CD)
When I first heard about this latest instalment of the Back to Mine series I thought I have really got to get this. The series has unfortunately recently taken a turn for the worse after some inspiring sets from Faithless, Groove Armada, Everything but the Girl and MJ Cole. But maybe this beautiful collection by Carl Cox is another turning point for the series.
Now when you think about what records Carl Cox would spin after hours you think of some techno/house records and although there maybe a couple of this genre in this collection the majority is made up of soul, disco and funk. What a pleasant surprise it was to listen to this, lie back and relax.
So all in all this collection is certainly chilled which is not what you would expect from Carl Cox, so if this is not what you are after - steer clear. If however, you are after a collection of funky laidback beats then you cannot go wrong. Welcome to the soulful side of Carl Cox.

1.0 out of 5 stars A temporary dip - I hope so, 15 Oct. 2004
I eagerly awaited the twelfth instalment of this stunning series though held some reservations about the compiler. I had bought four tets last outing and was very unimpressed with the content, having said that if you liked it stop reading and buy it now because it is in a similar vein.
Now dont get me wrong I dont believe that an album should instantly be taken in by the listener and often enough over time the more times you listen to an album the better it becomes. The thing with four tet's late night tales is that it really isnt a pleasurable listening experience. You need not stray past the mix of tracks two and three to hear the noise of instruments being tuned laid over the top of an ambling beat. Horrible.
It is with utter disapointment that I write this review as I own all the collection of late night tales so far and I am just hoping this is a temporary dip

1.0 out of 5 stars One for the Muso's, 7 Oct. 2004
I am a MASSIVE fan of the another late night series which unlike its Back to Mine counterpart has grown in stature and quality with each release. The idea behind the series is to get the artist to offer up what they would play in a set of music after hours - no boundaries. We kicked off with Fila Brazillia who produced an eclectic set which was instantly enjoyable, others such as Howie B and Kid Loco took a little longer to appreciate and Groove Armada provided us with an instant classic. We have also been treated to the funk of Tommy Guerrero, the hip hop of Rae and Christian and the disco-soul of Jamiroquai. The last instalment was by Turin Brakes which did seem to buck the trend with a collection of bluesey music but nevertheless fitted the style of the series.
Fourtet unfortunately hasnt grasped the idea and unless you actually like his own output I am afraid you may be disappointed with this collection. Fair play it is probably what kind of music influences him but it is so innaccessible that I find myself cringing or just turning off altogether. Now I do own Rounds by Fourtet and this was greeted with a similar sort of review, so I guess if you like his own output you will undoubtedly enjoy this. You needed venture past the mixing between track 2 and 3 to get what I mean. A fairly ambling beat is suddenly overidden with what I can only describe as a few instruments tuning up. Weird.
All I can say is I hope this is a blip in the series and the Flaming Lips rectify what was a fantastic collection.

The Trip Created By Tim 'love' Lee
The Trip Created By Tim 'love' Lee
Offered by johnny8640

2.0 out of 5 stars Too over complicated Timothy, 23 Sept. 2004
This is the third in the 'Trip' series and to be honest this one has the chance to redeem the series in my eyes. The last one by Tom Middleton was very hit and miss in my opinion.
The album is very eclectic and not only that, many tracks on the album jump around a bit with deep arrays of often contrasting sounds. This added with some inventive mixing makes this album very hard work. I know the point of the albums is to choose tracks across genre's, but this is a selective batch with only a handful of what you might call mainstream tracks. Well there are a number of well known tracks but the mixing in my opinion distorts them too far.
It certainly could be rewarding. I think the mix is very jazz orientated and in places it is too busy for my liking. This may help for people with more patience than me, who like albums full of depth and richness to unravel over a number of plays. But for me it's a bit over complicated.

The Trip: Tom Middleton
The Trip: Tom Middleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, 6 Aug. 2004
This review is from: The Trip: Tom Middleton (Audio CD)
I bought this album after much deliberation and also due to the outstanding reviews posted.
It all started so well with the first four tracks being belters and a really cool way to start a CD, hey where else would you catch the Star Wars theme. I thought the CD contained a really diverse mix of tracks but thought it would sound good. And perhaps if the true licenses had been granted it may have done, but what you should be aware of is that most of the tracks on the first CD are covers. So where you are expecting to hear the original James Brown and Sex Machine you get a cheesy Ibizan House version. Read the same for most of the familiar titled tracks on the first CD. This is a bit of a let down for me, but if that is your tip then this could be a great CD for you. Unfortunately it all sounded a bit too cheesy to be cool.
Thats the Miss part of it out of the way, now heres the Hit part of it. The reason this CD has gained three stars is the chillout CD two which in my opinion is worth the money itself and a good job in my case. This CD also showcases how to properly do a cover version with the brilliant 'Knock on Wood'. The whole content of this second CD is chilled out and really cool.
So all in all I suppose this CD provides really two diverse mixes which I suppose is the intention, its just a shame the first CD crossed to much into the cheese section. The second CD pulled the points out of the bag and saved some face for Tom.

Life:Styles 4 Hero
Life:Styles 4 Hero

4.0 out of 5 stars Soulful vibes, 3 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Life:Styles 4 Hero (Audio CD)
I bought this album whilst waiting for the next compilation of the another late night/late night tales series and figured it would be along similar lines. This CD immediately struck me as being very similar to the Jamiorquai release of the aforementioned series. A delve into 4 Hero's crates have indeed provided us with a funky but chilled selection of jazz, blues, disco and funk which I challenge anybody to listen without tapping their foot or nodding their head. Whilst not groundbreaking by any means, this formula has been done many times before, the rarity of the tracks is very enjoyable and well worth the purchase, particularly if you get the double CD which contains all the tracks bar two as an unmixed version.
So onto the CD itself. It starts off with a handful of lounge/jazz/blues numbers which slowly and softly squeeze up the tempo till before you know it your head is bobbing along with your tapping foot to the slightly disco-funk of Cesar Mariano & CIA. From this point the album takes on a quick twist with the funky 'Evil Vibrations' from the Mighty Ryeders and then back to the laidback vibes of Patrice Rushen and the Herbie Hancock inspired grooves of Butterfly. The album never really gets to high tempo which makes a perfect album for chilling out with a loved one or in the garden on a hot sunny day.

A Night in Havana: a Collection of Cuba's Coolest Music
A Night in Havana: a Collection of Cuba's Coolest Music
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Cuban Music, 3 Aug. 2004
Which is exactly what I bought it for. I felt something was missing from my CD collection and it has been filled by a collection of beautiful cuban music. Excellent to chill out to on a hot summery day. You will even probably recognise a few tracks or a few of the hooks from tracks used in todays music or even from a few adverts.
Highly recommended.

Life:Styles Vol. 2 [Compiled By Coldcut]
Life:Styles Vol. 2 [Compiled By Coldcut]
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars What a lifestyle, 2 Aug. 2004
Coldcut have been with us all for many years now and their output has always been quality. So many of us will be glad to see that they have created a CD here packed full of their influences which gives a great insight into their musical background.
What better way then to kickstart this CD then than a full orchestral rendition of Jackson Five's 'I want you back'? Sounds a little cruise shipey to start with but also very cool. This is then followed by a cluster of soulful numbers the highlight track for me being Esther Phillips 'Disposable Society'. The CD then takes a turn and ups the tempo with some breakbeat and eighties rap/pop before splashing back in with some soul and then into some downbeat grooves and cinematic tracks. The CD then picks itself up for a rousing finale with the groovy 'Power' by the Temptations and finally finishing off with the foot tappingly, sing along 'The Only Way is Up' which is the best way to describe your mood having listened to this CD.
All in all this is one of the best CD's in this type of compilation genre I have come across for some time. It looks like the Lifestyle series could be one to watch.
Highly recommended.