Profile for Madrava > Reviews

The Island
The Island
by Victoria Hislop

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, 27 May 2007
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
I had wanted to read this book and it did not disappoint. I have only visited Cyprus (terrible place) but have wanted to venture further into Greece and the lovely description that the author gave of Plaka and Spinnalonga have magnetic pulling power. The Greek Tourist Agency should give her an award.

What did I like most? Georgious, the taciturn father was my favourite character in the book. I could see him in that little boat going back and forth across the sea which the author described in all its states. I was always scared that he would not get there safely. Yet he did.

Plaka and Spinnalonga and the culture of the villages were breathtakingly portrayed. I could picture both places so well. The descriptions were so atmospheric.

What the book has left me with, and this is the mark of a really good book, is the feeling of guilt that we can be so forgetful of our older generation. Maria's filial duty and compassion for others and selfless love reminded me of the sacrifices my own family made for their generation.

The end of the book is hauntingly sad and really makes you think about how you treat your own loved ones.

Valentin [DVD] [2004]
Valentin [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Rodrigo Noya

5.0 out of 5 stars Rodrigo Noya, 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Valentin [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The little boy who plays the character 'Valentin' is so captivating that he has to be the best child actor I have seen in a long time.

Never mind the subtitles, just watch this wonderful film.

I loved the setting, a few streets, humble homes and an amazing school. The children dressed in uniform consisting of a white lab coat and they carried little briefcases. Valentin's spectacles and eyes are a wonderful motif.

It's the best film I have watched this year.

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
by Eva Rice

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book I have read for ages, 3 Nov. 2006
It was terrible. I cannot understand how this book became a Richard and Judy read.

The characters were dire, and their names even worse. The settings were poorly described although you did get the sense of a barnlike existence. Reading this book under a duvet in the midst of winter makes you feel even colder although it did heat up towards the end!

As for the romantic relationships between the characters, well I think the author should leave it to the Mills and Boon writers. They do a far better job!

A hotchpotch of characters and situations. Good food writing though at the Auntie's house with nice cakes and scones. I'll never eat duck again.

Best thing about the book, was the cover.

The Traveller (The Fourth Realm Trilogy)
The Traveller (The Fourth Realm Trilogy)
by John Twelve Hawks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fastest read this year, still has to beat Jose Luis Farmer., 18 Oct. 2006
I loved this book for its philosophical meanderings and its introduction of Sikhism and Buddhism to the uneducated masses.

I cannot wait to read the rest - and I am sure the two brothers will enjoy the realm of the gods.

The writer has very cleverly drawn the reader into the human realm. The human condition is alive and oh so depressingly well in this novel.

I hope that it draws the American reader into studying that which is denied them at present.

Well done author, your book 'The Traveller' is wonderful.

It has really made me think about living off the grid, yet the internet is so beautiful.

I am going to buy myself a kara.

Butterfly's Tongue [DVD] [2000]
Butterfly's Tongue [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Fernando Fernán Gómez
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars The respect of the teacher, 20 Jun. 2006
The wonderful Fernan Fernan Gomez (maestro) addresses the small child Moncho in the formal tense in Spanish - usted.

A beautiful film, the teacher is so professional and so filled with respect for his pupil in a country where every child is addressed as 'my king' or 'my queen'.

The butterfly imagery is heartbreaking and prophetic.

This film is a masterpiece. Noone should teach children to hate.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2012 2:39 PM BST

The Notebook [DVD]
The Notebook [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gena Rowlands

4.0 out of 5 stars The Notebook, 26 Mar. 2006
This review is from: The Notebook [DVD] (DVD)
I should have given this 5 stars for James Garner. He is like D'Arcy in Pride and Prejudice coming out of the lake. Only he is not Colin Firth. He is instead an old man telling his family that he cannot come home! I won't spoil it for you by telling you what he says. If any of you have read 'Love in the time of Cholera', by Garcia Marquez then you will know what this film is about except it is one hundred times better. I gave it four stars because it does not depict reality. Oh that it were so and our elderly were treated so well in their last years! The cruelty of old age is depicted like a thief in the night who robs the soul from you. The buddhist doctrine of anicca sums everything up. If I am blessed to have my partner so long and with such love, I shall die happy.
This film will never leave me. Do not watch it without someone to weep with. Do not go gently into this good night.

Small Things That Matter
Small Things That Matter
by William Ayot

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of the Decade - life changing book., 5 May 2004
I cannot believe that anyone has not reviewed this amazing work. This is a book which helps you understand about meaning and purpose. It is a life changing book about great communicators. Brilliant wisdom and philosophy on every page.
Gladwell is a true maven.