Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy (Lerwick, Shetland United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Great Glen Way: Fort William to Inverness Two-Way Trail Guide (Cicerone Walking Guide) (Cicerone Trail Guides)
by Paddy Dillon

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Go Wrong with Cicerone, 22 April 2016
Cicerone have been producing travel books for many years. They are always great quality. This one excels further as it contains a map of the walk/ride area, so that will save you a few quid. The book comes in a pocketable format with clear text and pictures, great for us old fogies!

Trangia Fuel Bottle with Safety Valve, 1 L
Trangia Fuel Bottle with Safety Valve, 1 L

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust Fuel Container, 22 April 2016
This review is from: Trangia Fuel Bottle (Sports)
I have a number of different stoves that run on different fuels. Sometimes I want to travel lighter that others, perhaps just away overnight or for a weekend. Trangia offers you 3 sizes: 1 litre, 500ml and 300ml. I have a few of these bottles to suit all needs. The valve system on the top allows you to get fuel into the stove with minimum risk of spills as the valve allows the bottle to breathe whilst pouring. Filling the bottle becomes much easier with a funnel. I use a collapsing silicone funnel. It has not reacted to any fuels so far. The bottle is made of a very tough plastic, and although I wouldn't advise it, it feels like you could drive over it. What you must not do though is pressurise it. You need a different type of bottle for that. Red was a good choice of colour. It will stand out in the grass. Trangia has a good reputation for quality products and this is no exception.

Youngman 310898 Odd Job Multi-Purpose Trade Work Platform
Youngman 310898 Odd Job Multi-Purpose Trade Work Platform
Offered by JT Atkinson T/A Trade Supplies Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Stretching - Use Your Head, 22 April 2016
Couldn't reach the ceiling comfortably, but this has fixed that problem. Very robust, although the folded item looks awkward. A bit more thought could have been put into the design. Feels very secure when you are on top of it though and has locking mechanisms. A good buy.

Sangean DT-250†Radio Digital AM/FM/Built-in Speaker Stereo Clock Silver
Sangean DT-250†Radio Digital AM/FM/Built-in Speaker Stereo Clock Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good it Made me Smile, 22 April 2016
I saved a few quid and bought an Eton m400 thinking that it would do the job, but it was a disaster. I have never known a radio so fussy about the batteries that went into it, so I did what I should have done in the first place and bought this. Other than the manual having gaps in explanation it is a fantastic bit of kit. Especially useful is the wire antenna, which plugs into the headphone socket. You would think that would stop the sound coming from the speakers, but no, there is a switch on the side of the radio which sends the sound to the speaker. This is to use when camping, where antenna often get broken, but this will be fine. Most surprising thing was that the reception is a lot better than my expensive Roberts radio, which was 3 times the price. The radio does look a bit cheap, the downside of a silver finish, but so far it seems a really fabulous bit of kit. I am really pleased with it.

Swiss Tech Micro Plug 97050 8-in - 1 Multifunctional Tool in Blister Packaging
Swiss Tech Micro Plug 97050 8-in - 1 Multifunctional Tool in Blister Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely Useful, 22 April 2016
A nice quality piece of kit that will lock onto your keyring. It's surprising the amount of times that it will come in useful. Really well made with the quality shining through. My last one was purloined at work so keep a close eye on it. The fact that I have bought a second one should speak volumes of it's utility.

Crumpler PP 55 Compact Camera Pouch and Strap - Black
Crumpler PP 55 Compact Camera Pouch and Strap - Black
Offered by Great Western Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Gear, 10 Mar. 2016
Good quality as you would expect from Crumpler. Too small for what I wanted it for though - bah!

A Bit Scott-ish: Pedalling Through Scotland in Search of Adventure, Nature and Lemon Drizzle Cake
by Mike Carden

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Pick Up, 10 Mar. 2016
A book that took some time to get into. I picked it up and started reading the day that it arrived, but once I realised that the rider talked to his bike I decided that it probably wasn't the book for me; where some say whimsical I say idiotic. So I picked up another book, Messengers by Julian Sayarer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Girding my loins I picked up the original book again, but still couldn't bring myself to read it. Cutting a long story short, I had to read 3 other books: What goes around by Emily Chapell, Life cycles by Julian Sayerer (again) and Island wife, by an author whose name escapes me at the moment, all thoroughly enjoyable, before I could go back to the original. I plodded on through it, each conversation with his bike raising one of my eyebrows, but eventually, like water boarding sessions in Guantanamo it broke my will, and I started to accept it as someone's normal.

This book is like so many other cycle touring books: I rode up this hill, it was raining, my waterproofs were in my panniers, I rode down the hill into a town, here is some interesting history about the town, I ate some cake, that night I was surrounded by strange people in the Hostel, why am I the only normal person?

The highlight of the book for me were the illustrations.

The Man Who Cycled The World
The Man Who Cycled The World
by Mark Beaumont

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Rush?, 5 Feb. 2016
A fairly enjoyable read, although if I were to cycle around the world I would want to take it slowly and take in the sights. It was good to read about all of the hardships and successes.

Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano
Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano
Offered by NORDPC

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed soon after I started using them., 5 Feb. 2016
Both of mine died within a month of using them, but there was a lot of plugging and unplugging going on. A shame nonetheless. I have replaced them with wi-fi dongles made by the same people who make the raspberry Pi. Perhaps I just got unlucky with these?

Anker AH221 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 1 BC 1.2 Charging Port up to 5V 1.5A, 12V 3A Power Adapter Included [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081]

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Hubs, 5 Feb. 2016
Really nice quality after some of the junk that I have come across, but not cheap. I actually bought this to power 5 Raspberry Pi computers. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING RECOMMENDED BY ANKER, but I read that it was possible elswhere. Sadly the hub doesn't put out enough current to achieve this, so I will need to find other uses for them, I bought 2 for my 10 Raspberry Pi computers. Lovely packaging is reminiscent of how Apple pack goods, and I have always thought that they were the real masters of presentation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20