Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy (Lerwick, Shetland United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tatonka Cooking Multi Set Spirit Burner
Tatonka Cooking Multi Set Spirit Burner

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow Cooking, 6 Mar. 2017
Welcome to the wonderful world of Tatonka, like Trangia, but with style and panache. If you have tried Trangia, the Austin Allegro of camp cooking, (perhaps that should be cooking in camp), and liked it, I am sure that you will appreciate an upgrade to Tatonka, the Ford Cortina of cooking in camp. Although the cooker is also aluminium, the frying pan and two pots are stainless steel, as is the burner assembly.

There are people that swear by these, but meths burners in my opinion are great for warming something in a summer field on the south coast of our fine Kingdom, or in a well sheltered wood somewhere, and hugely better than hexamine blocks, which tend to produce a tepid brew tasting of old coin. Meths burners are for people in no rush. It’s early evening and you fancy some dinner, then whip out the meths burning kit and get your dinner on the go. If it seems to be taking a long time, it’s because it is, and all the time you are getting older. If the wind gets up the chances are that your dinner will be ready in time for breakfast. On a windy day a few years ago I managed to grow a full beard and whittle a sideboard whilst I waited on the water for my cup of tea to boil. And yet the Scouts et al swear by meths burning stoves. I can only imagine that it is because they are young and have plenty of life left, and probably not hypothermic on a wet and windswept hillside. They are probably the safest way of cooking though as you are exposed to such a low risk of boiling anything at all.

Meths burners are great in their place, but if there is the slightest possibility of inclement weather conditions, or a breath of wind, take a proper stove. This just weighs too much and is ineffective in anything but almost perfect conditions. The good news though is that it can be improved with the Trangia gas conversion - huzzah!

You can’t deny the quality of this, but I remain unconvinced by its utility, for me at least.

You can buy a matching kettle to go with this kit. Now that is nice, and has a point in life if used with a proper stove or the above Tatonka with a gas conversion.

Tatonka Stainless Steel H2O Pot 1.0 Litre Teapot
Tatonka Stainless Steel H2O Pot 1.0 Litre Teapot

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, 6 Mar. 2017
Into the poverty of living which is camping, comes the Tatonka Stainless Steel H2O Pot. A kettle to the rest of us. If you are a camping weight-weenie then look away now. Go get a leaf and heat the morning dew on it with a match for your first brew of the day. For the rest of us, sticking a kettle on to boil whilst camping is the nearest thing to decadence we are likely to get. Of course you can boil water in your Ti pot, be as soulless as you wish, or you can boil in style whilst you eat out of your Ti pot. That way your drink is ready when you have finished eating instead of having to go and wash the pot out, fill it with water, then put it on to boil, then wait for it to boil, then make the brew. Multi-tasking is the biz now. No longer do you need to queue tasks in series. You can be at the bleeding edge of where it is at with this H2O pot - er kettle.

Tatonka kit is similar to Trangia, just better quality, style and robustness. Just look at the design of this kettle - it’s fab. It would look great on a sideboard - remember those? I think that female campers are noticing me more since I started using the Tatonka H2O Pot. No, really. They look, point and giggle!

The weight really isn’t something that you should worry about in the scheme of things, unless of course you have carried the sideboard to the campsite to display it on. Perhaps the sideboard wasn’t a good analogy. Scrub the sideboard.

Stainless steel is so much more robust than aluminium and without the risks, so it more than makes up for any weight drawback. We are talking grammes here guys. The void inside can be used for carrying stuff and the fold down handle design means access to the contents is easy. I can’t fit an Optimus 100g gas canister in there and expect the lid to fit flush though. It looks lovely though. Buy one, you know you want to.

Bushbox Set
Bushbox Set
Offered by Bushcraft Essentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Pack Flat Stove, 4 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Bushbox Set (Misc.)
Well made and robust by a German company, so the quality is excellent. I was a little stunned by the price, but when you get it, if you are anything like me you will say that it is worth it. Made of stainless steel so it won't go rusty. Packs flat, so take hardly any room in it's cover. Great for a quick brew in the woods with twigs or other organic wate. There is also a very small version of this, which is perfect for a mug. Look for the outdoor pocket micro EDC box stove.

Wolf Creek [DVD]
Wolf Creek [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Jarratt

4.0 out of 5 stars Glass of Water Anyone?, 4 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Wolf Creek [DVD] (DVD)
I am not sure if this is a horror film or a video nasty! There's some grim scenes in it, so don't let the kids or the maiden aunt sit in fron it this. I watched it an survived to tell the tale, so it can't be that bad. No nightmares or mental scarring. Give t a go, there's always the off button.

Lock & Lock Rectangular Storage Container - Clear/Blue, 8 L
Lock & Lock Rectangular Storage Container - Clear/Blue, 8 L

5.0 out of 5 stars I Think I'm Addicted to These, 4 Mar. 2017
Always superb quality. I have bought some of the knock-offs and they have been dire in comparison to these. The only problem is that you find a million uses for them, well perhaps not a million, that would be ridiculous, but loads. I use them for food, cycle spares, cycle lights, electrical testing gear, tools, nuts and bolts, paracord, camping stoves, spare parts, junk, detritus, stationery, etc, etc.

Buy one - at least one, but be careful. You'l soon end up with a house full of them.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars For when you REALLY have to go, 4 Mar. 2017
Stood there in a queue breaking your neck for a pee? Disabled toilet empty? This provides the perfect solution, but please only use in emergencies if you are able bodied.

Andrex Gentle Clean, Puppies on a Roll Toilet Tissue Paper - 45 Rolls
Andrex Gentle Clean, Puppies on a Roll Toilet Tissue Paper - 45 Rolls

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing Toilet Paper is Really Hard to do!, 4 Mar. 2017
Andrex, it's so soft why wouldn't I want 45 rolls delivered at the same time? No puppies were harmed in my wiping my ... well, you know. A perfect wipe every time. Ideal maintence material for the chocolate starfish. Bet they don't publish this review!

In Time [DVD]
In Time [DVD]
Dvd ~ Justin Timberlake
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing Premise, 4 Mar. 2017
This review is from: In Time [DVD] (DVD)
It's rare that I watch a film these days, I just haven't got the attention span needed to sit there, but this was recommended to me by a touring cyclist visiting my house. The premise intrigued me, I'm rarely intrigued by anything, so that was a big bonus. SciFi rarely interests me as it is usually so ridiculous, but this was really good, and well worth a watch.

Stop Snoring Spray 9ml
Stop Snoring Spray 9ml

2.0 out of 5 stars May Work for You - Didn't Work for Me, 4 Mar. 2017
Sadly it didn't work for me, so the search continues for an effective snoring remedy, if only for the sake of my partner. I have it bad though, so I would recommend that you try it at this price You may get lucky.

Relags Optimus 'Uelk ocher Polaris Optifuel Cooker, Black, One Size
Relags Optimus 'Uelk ocher Polaris Optifuel Cooker, Black, One Size
Offered by Survival Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Beyond Excellent, 4 Mar. 2017
I have many stoves from the likes of Oprimus and MSR, but this is the all round best one. Multi-fuel with a single valve. Packs very small, with a very controlable output. The usual faff of lighting a multifuel stove, unless you are porwering it with gas, but the faff pays off in the end as you can fuel it so much cheaper than with gas canisters. Don't worry about the soot, as there is a bag to put the stove in. This is not a stove for the weight weenies, but for cycle touring it is excellent.

Usual Optimus high quality. My only regret is that I didn't buy this one first, as I have bought loads of stoves, spending hundreds in the process.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20