Profile for Horsforth Jill > Reviews

Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha
Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha
by Tara Brach

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book - shame about the cover!, 17 Mar. 2012
I had problems with both the sickly lilac cover to this book and what for me was a rather off-putting "heart of a Buddha" in the title, so avoided getting it despite the recommendations. Do go beyond the cover. This book has been immensely helpful to me during a really difficult time, as have Tara Brach's podcasts (both talks and guided meditations). You really don't have to be a Buddhist, or at all interested in Buddhism, to profit from the wise words in here about self-acceptance, kindness and living in the moment. Along with Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times, and the practically oriented Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world these have provided me with a huge amount of comfort and a new way of thinking about difficulty.

It's Not Your Fault, Koko Bear: A Read-Together Book for Parents and Young Children During Divorce (Lansky, Vicki)
by Vicki Lansky

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for confused kids, 17 Mar. 2012
I read this book with my son, 5, and his friend, 7, who both have divorced or separating parents. It "had loads of words" in it, as my son said, but they both listened intently and talked about their own feelings in reaction to the text and pictures. I thought it was a brilliant way of getting kids of this age to discuss how they feel, and also to show that what's happening, whilst sad, is something that isn't just happening to them, and that people can get through it and feel better. For this reason, it also made me, as an anxious separating parent, feel better too. It has a bit of an old-fashioned feel compared to some other books (eg Mum and Dad Glue), but I thought it was the best of the bunch I'd bought by far.

Two Homes
Two Homes
by Claire Masurel

2.0 out of 5 stars "freaky kid"!, 17 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Two Homes (Paperback)
My son, who is 5, is probably too old for this book, which is a very simple story for younger children. He refused to read it anyway, because of the "freaky kid" on the front. In fact, he asked me to put it somewhere he would never see it again because it scared him. I can see that for some kids the drawing of the child might be a bit frightening, and it wasn't my cup of tea, although I liked the story.

Mum and Dad Glue
Mum and Dad Glue
by Kes Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars saddest book ever, 17 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Mum and Dad Glue (Paperback)
I've just read this to my son (5) and his friend (7). Both of them are children of divorced or divorcing parents. I thought the story of a boy trying to buy glue to put his parents back together was possibly the saddest thing I'd ever read, but they thought it was quite funny. To be honest it didn't get them talking much about feelings, but overall a decent read that normalises the feelings kids of separating parents are going through - if the adult can stop themselves sobbing when they read it!