Profile for MR JOHN H A CASTLE > Reviews

Content by MR JOHN H A CASTLE

MR JOHN H A CASTLE

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 12.3 inch Tablet with Pen (Intel Core i7-6650U 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 Pro) - Silver
Offered by AMAK-GADGETS
Price: £1,174.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Increased artistic productivity, 17 Dec. 2016
I originally bought this kit to use for comic book drawing but started with a picture requested by one of my friends of her horse using the supplied Fresh Paint tool. Despite never having used a tablet or other form of computer before I got a very satisfying result, then proceeded to download a free version of SketchBook to take me a bit further with a couple of portraits. Examples of my work are attached. I am really happy with the responsiveness and flexibility of the tablet. I was worried that I might have put a lot of money into something that I wouldn't be able to get the same results as paper, pen and paints. However, it has exceeded expectations and increased my artistic productivity and I can of course use it as a regular PC. My slight concern is that it has frozen on me a couple of times which is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5. In both cases it unfroze after a while but I will have to investigate why and how best to unfreeze it. Normally on a laptop or phone I would try a dry boot but there was no obvious way to do this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2016 12:10 AM GMT

Some Enchanted Evening ('south Pacific' Piano Accompaniment) [Professional Karaoke Backing Track]

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Oct. 2015
Great for an audition prep

How Long Will I Love You
How Long Will I Love You

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Side to Ellie, 10 Nov. 2013
Ellie Goulding demonstrates her versatility with this sweet, soft song. Gone are the banging drums and effects. In comes simplicity, with a simple piano and strings arrangement and Goulding's haunting voice. A treasure!

M-Audio Axiom 25 USB MIDI Controller
M-Audio Axiom 25 USB MIDI Controller

4.0 out of 5 stars Axiom 25 - A Good Start & Great Value for Money, 19 Mar. 2013
Back in the 1980s I used to record straight onto a 4 track tape recorder using synthesisers and drum machines. I then moved onto using Magix Music Maker in the 1990s, and have used this since, building loops up to form songs on a PC, then recording the result onto an 8 track recorder and adding vocals. Having found the use of other people's loops creatively restricting and expensive, I recently made the decision to use my own creativity again and invest in a MIDI keyboard. I looked into possibilities and found that the Axiom 25 had some good write ups, with a non-restrictive price. I am now using it with a new mini mac and have already put together a couple of songs that I am happy with. The set up was very simple - use the cable provided to plug the keyboard into my mac. No need to even plug it into the mains! It worked straight away with garage band. I also found that I was able to use it immediately with Music Maker on my old PC. The best results though so far have come using the Ignite package which comes free with the keyboard, which you download from the web site. Although Ignite takes a while to get used to (perhaps I should read the manual) it is very powerful and the instrument sounds that come with it are wide ranging and realistic. The keyboard is very robust. I personally find the keys to be a bit less responsive than a piano or expensive electric keyboard, but have got some real expression into my music once I got used to the feel of them. Being a largely one handed keyboard player the 25 keys are not a limitation for me. For those accomplished pianists amongst you I would recommend a keyboard with more keys! So far I have no issues and would recommend this as a good starting MIDI keyboard for any budding PC musician.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 11:41 PM GMT