Profile for J. Woodman > Reviews

Content by J. Woodman

J. Woodman (Isle of Man)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Stephan Coarse Country Style Pork Pâté 80 g (Pack of 6)
Stephan Coarse Country Style Pork Pâté 80 g (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly acceptable for the price, 6 Oct. 2016
Good pate is unobtainable on the Isle of Man, unfortunately. This isn't good pate, but it is perfectly acceptable pate of the kind that you can buy easily and cheaply in any French supermarket. I'm very happy to be able to get it through Amazon at a reasonable mark-up. The same applies to the sister product - the coarse ham pate.

Estuary: Out from London to the Sea
Estuary: Out from London to the Sea
by Rachel Lichtenstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 6 Oct. 2016
Disappointed. There has been a tremendous amount of pre-publication hype, and as an Essex boy in exile I was really looking forward to it. As I ploughed through it, it felt more and more like a series of vignettes of things that she has done in the Thames estuary. She enjoyed them, or she was terrified by them, or she learned something, but there nothing much beyond each incident. The estuary deserved better. Note for the publisher: the black-and-white reproduction of the photos is terrible, and the pages are printed so close to the spine that reading needs both hands to force the book open.

Carpet Moth Killer Smoke Bombs 4 x 3.5g - Formula 'P' Moth Fumigator from Pest Expert (HSE approved and tested - professional strength product)
Offered by pestcontrolsupermarket

5.0 out of 5 stars The final solution, 2 Sept. 2016
Finally eradicated the problem after sprays, powders and pheromone traps hadn't made much difference. Mildly alarming to see the levels of smoke when you return to the house a few hours later, but the smell isn't unpleasant and it soon clears. Nobody died - just the moths.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not set up with Time Machine, poor Devolo support, 2 Sept. 2016
I was unable to get this working at all. Because my wifi signal comes from an Apple Time Machine I was unable to use the recommended WPS push-button set-up. The Devolo picture instructions for non-WPS set-up are awful - with an iPad they simply did not work. Using a laptop and a browser eventually I got to the point where I was told on-screen that set-up had been successful. However, I was left with a revolving icon on screen and a flashing light on the repeater which suggested that this was not the case. Sure enough, my signal had been degraded from 20mps to 1mps. I unplugged, rebooted the Time Machine and all was as before. I contacted Devolo Techical Support, was told to reset the repeater and try again. I had exactly the same result. I notified Techical Support of this and asked for further advice. No response after five days, so it has gone back to the supplier - Kikatek, who have been excellent. Obviously I may have had a faulty device, but I would not wish the non-WPS set-up on my worst enemy.

For the Love of Wine: My Odyssey through the World's Most Ancient Wine Culture
For the Love of Wine: My Odyssey through the World's Most Ancient Wine Culture
by Alice Feiring

3.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in Georgia and wine ..., 31 May 2016
Purchased because I am interested in wine and Georgian music. There was another element - the use of clay vessels for fermentation and I'm a student of traditionally-fermented sourdough bread and use a stoneware vessel for cooking bread. Lots of new information about Georgian wine-making - unfortunately there is very little wine accessible to me. Lots of lifestyle stuff confirming everything you have previously read about Georgia. Quite a few local recipes, which I wasn't expecting and could have done without. Essentially an American wine-reviewer's Georgian trips expertly written up - really for wine and Georgia buffs only.

DEVICE SUPPORT BRACKET BRUNS 5, 0.75 M
DEVICE SUPPORT BRACKET BRUNS 5, 0.75 M
Offered by Homespares Centres Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 29 Mar. 2016
Purchased to support spades, forks etc in the shed. I was very sceptical because I couldn't see how it worked, but, encouraged by Amazon feedback, I took a chance. Very glad I did - it is so effective and simple to use. I still can't see how it works, but it doesn't matter. Ordered a second!

VonHaus 3 in 1 Garden Vacuum, Leaf Blower & Mulcher 2800W - Adjustable speed, 10:1 Shredding Ratio, 40L Collection Bag & 10m Cable
Offered by DOMU UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great around bushes, 9 Mar. 2016
This was purchased to replace a hopeless Bosch battery blower with an operating time of about three minutes. I was surprised at the size of the VonHaus after (easy) assembly. It works well, and obviously no battery life problems, but its size and the design of the nozzle means that it is not that good for getting around bushes. I need to get in, around and under bushes to shift ivy leaves, and it is not particularly good at that. I'm sure it would be great at moving leaves off flat surfaces.

Denon RCDM40DAB Micro Component CD Receiver - Black
Denon RCDM40DAB Micro Component CD Receiver - Black
Offered by Nottingham HiFi Centre

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but some cheap touches., 20 Jan. 2016
First things first. Reasonable sound quality, all the inputs that I need. Some quirks and gripes. Gripes first, the manual on CD only is a cheap touch - you really need access to the manual because some of the set-up is far from intuitive, and not everybody has access to a CD-drive equipped computer. Only a single aerial input - another cheap touch which means you can't optimise the input from separate external DAB and FM aerials. Quirks next - the handset presets aren't radio band-aware so you have to assign each preset to a combination of the station and the band. Changing from DAB to FM is pretty clunky - why not a single button rather than three key presses? Buried deep in the set-up menu you find that the output is tailored specifically to some Denon speakers - this can be overwritten, with a marked change in sound quality. Not sure if it is better or worse, but most people will never know. This is a replacement for a 7-year-old Onkyo all-in-one with blown fascia bulbs: not sure if it is an improvement.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2016 9:34 PM BST

The Wise King: A Christian Prince, Muslim Spain, and the Birth of the Renaissance
by Simon Doubleday

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent - and highly relevant to our times, 17 Jan. 2016
First things first - this is a terrific book. I came to it as a layman with an increasing interest in medieval Spain, and specifically in the architectural, musical and artistic interactions between Christians, Moslems and Jews. I was aware in a limited way of Alfonso - the wise king of the title - through a parallel interest in early music, and his authorship of the widely-recorded Cantigas de Santa Maria. I had the extraordinary good fortune of reading the book immediately after a week in Toledo, a city which is central to the story and where the atmosphere of the time of Alfonso is still strong. Simon Doubleday does an extraordinary job in helping us to understand the character of Alfonso, the considerable compexities of his life and the politics of the time. He has deepened my understanding of the issues around Alfonso's reign - which are of obvious contemporary relevance - and left me with a great appreciation of the man. I recommend it without reservation.

LINDY USB DAC & Headphone Amp
LINDY USB DAC & Headphone Amp

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Dec. 2015
I've purchased Lindy stuff in the past, and been satisfied. The DAC was purchased specifically to convert a CD player optical output to RCA for an amplifier without an optical input. The sound quality from optical to RCA output was disappointing - a noticeable deterioration on the original CD RCA output. I haven't tested the USB input so I can't comment. Tempted to return it, but will probably keep it as a spare for computer use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13