Profile for bookworm 74 > Reviews

Content by bookworm 74

bookworm 74 (West Midlands)

Beyondfashion Multiple Guitar Stand 7 Holder Guitar Folding Stand Rack Band Stage
Offered by Beyondfashion

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly adequate and well-priced. Doddle to put together., 14 Mar. 2015
This turned out to be an excellent and economical storage solution for my collection of six guitars which comprise electric and acoustic instruments, all easily stored without any concerns over untimely knocks. Whilst there are those who have complained about the instructions being sparse, I have to remark that I am completely bemused by the confusion; this stand is staggeringly easy for anyone with the smallest understanding of how things fit together!! I can highly recommend this stand to anyone who wishes to have rapid access to their instruments as I often do. Size wise, it takes up as much space as I expected, apart from the depth; it comes out further than you might think, so measure carefully. Fortunately for me, this wasn't an issue. Build quality seems fine and I feel it is sturdy enough to entrust it to a bunch of expensive kit.

CZECH ARMY WINTER PARKA 2014/15 NEW RELEASE IMPROVED MODEL
CZECH ARMY WINTER PARKA 2014/15 NEW RELEASE IMPROVED MODEL
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: CZECH ARMY WINTER PARKA (Misc.)
As the title says, excellent value. Very warm, repels water well, and was worth having a couple of alterations made to improve the fit. (I have had the arms shortened because I'm not that big). The fleece lining extends all the way down the arms to their elasticated ends making it feel even warmer. Easily removable as the weather improves. Haven't tried the hood yet, but I expect I'll get the chance soon. The only negatives are that some of the machine stitching could have been a little better and the zip already needs replacing (it's rather flimsy), but I don't see that as any reason to get over-excited. I expect to be wearing this for many a winter to come. Very happy at this price point and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a durable and economical winter coat.

Dynamode WL-700-11NX 11N 300Mbps Wireless Adapter
Dynamode WL-700-11NX 11N 300Mbps Wireless Adapter

3.0 out of 5 stars It works but don't expect fast transfer speeds., 27 April 2012
The software is easy to install and worked on a desktop running Windows XP 64bit and on a laptop running Windows 7 Professional. Interestingly, the maximum transfer speed possible was 54Mbps which is the maximum capability of wireless G (802.11g). Exploring the settings has not revealed any selection which would utilise the full 280-300Mbps capability of 802.11n standard. To set the record straight in terms of range and obstacles, the speed dropped to 48Mbps when used downstairs versus the 54Mbps when placed less than eight feet from the upstairs access point (an excellent Linksys WAP4400N) through a timber-framed wall. In summary, this is fine for transferring small files, browsing and e-mailing, but don't expect good results for large files, streaming HD or gaming; it's just not up to the job.

Stick On Blackout Kit size 1
Stick On Blackout Kit size 1
Offered by EasyBlinds

5.0 out of 5 stars Great news!, 4 Sept. 2011
this product is so easy to use I could have got my two year old son to put it up. Even with the cutting and measuring, this took less than 20minutes to put up. Some reviews have complained about the tape not holding, I'm using this on wooden frames and after nearly six months there hasn't been a problem. An excellent buy if you need complete darkness.

Bottle Top Bill - A Day at the Sea [DVD]
Bottle Top Bill - A Day at the Sea [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars For kids and parents!, 4 Sept. 2011
This may sound silly, but this was actually bought as an anniversary present for my husband in reference to his love of seeing how things are put together. Having said that, my two year old son also loves this and they happily watch it together - peace and bliss!

Emma Bridgewater Starry Skies Cake/Lunch Tin
Emma Bridgewater Starry Skies Cake/Lunch Tin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present, 4 Sept. 2011
I bought this as an anniversary present and it was an instant hit! I'm trying to stick to the traditional presents for each year and this was a much better choice than a tin of beans. Unfussy, simple but a statement piece which would grace any kitchen.

Crysis 2 (PC DVD)
Crysis 2 (PC DVD)
Offered by games.empire

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 6 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Crysis 2 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
After playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead on the PC, buying C2 was a no brainer. The exitement however, fell away very quickly. There is no way to save the game when in-play; you have to trudge on to the next check point. This is fine if you like running around like a lunatic, dodging bullets, but it's a drag if you want to play the game using stealth and tactics. Grr. The graphics are excellent, however, and live up to the Crytek hype. The massive downside to this game is that it was clearly written for button mashing-console gamers who are more easily pleased than their PC gamer counterparts. The first thing to suffer is the lack of field play; it was possible in the previous two games to go where you liked and encounter alternative scenarios whilst still fulfilling the overall 'story'. Here in C2, it isn't possible to explore much, as you are shepherded through it. What also annoyed me was the silly collecting-random-crap-as-you-play in order to 'open' up modes and abilities. This is classic console. The nanosuit has no functionality when you start and you have to progress further into the game to unlock its features. Terrible. Enemy dialogue is laughable, with characters being heard to say "False alarm" and "All clear" when they're standing three feet from two guys you've just given a head-shot. Sorry, but if you like hammering the buttons on your XBox or PS3 you'll love it. If you have a brain, you won't. Stick with Crytek's first two offerings and simply change how you play them.

LeapFrog Spin & Sing Alphabet Zoo Ball
LeapFrog Spin & Sing Alphabet Zoo Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Alphabet zoo ball pleasure, 11 Feb. 2009
The perfect present for any child's first Christmas! My friend's little boy absolutely loves it. Information was excellent and I know he's also on the way to learning too whilst listening to fun tunes and alphabet soundbites. Definitely recommended.

What Came Before He Shot Her (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 14)
What Came Before He Shot Her (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 14)
by Elizabeth George

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and painfully realistic, 31 Jan. 2008
I have to admit that the sheer length of this novel did mean that I deferred reading it for quite a while, but if I'd have known how involved I would become, I'd have started it immediately! This is the first of Elizabeth George's books I've read as it was a Christmas present from my husband. I'm now encouraging him to read it also.
I could not help but be drawn into the world of the Campbell children and eagerly anticipated my return home from work so I could continue reading, if only for 5 minutes.
Though I accept that this novel may not be everyone's cup of tea, the painful reality of the storyline reminded me of why I work with children and hope to make a difference. The twist at the end is un-signposted and imaginative, an excellent end to a gripping experience.