Profile for Ms. Sarah Cade > Reviews

Content by Ms. Sarah Cade

Ms. Sarah Cade "sara22"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Je n'ai pas fait mes devoirs parce que...
Je n'ai pas fait mes devoirs parce que...
by Davide Cali
Edition: Album

5.0 out of 5 stars so it is a good read for a high school child learning French, 18 Mar. 2017
My children wanted to try out reading some picture books in french. This book is fabulous. The main character is a boy and he has twenty-eight different inventive excuses for not having done his homework. It is 30 years since I did French at school but the sentences were readable for me. They are not too long and involved but they are varied and include a variety of tenses, so it is a good read for a high school child learning French. The pictures help, of course, so you don't have to look up every single word that you don't know. The boy has a little dog that appears in every illustration. He normally has a long-suffering expression on his face, as if to say "What's happening now?" so it is good fun to look for him in each of the pictures. The ending of the book is funny. It is lovely to have a French book that you can fully enjoy, without it feeling as if it is a piece of work to read it.

10 Minutes a Day Problem Solving KS2 Ages 9-11 (Maths Made Easy Ks2)
10 Minutes a Day Problem Solving KS2 Ages 9-11 (Maths Made Easy Ks2)
by Carol Vorderman

5.0 out of 5 stars Meaty ten minute tests, 20 July 2015
This contains 31 tests covering a wide variety of topics. My son was more inclined to try this book because of the novelty of the timer. He is terribly reluctant to do homework so anything that encourages him is good! The questions are quite meaty - they test understanding and the ability to do calculations. The first test took my son more than ten minutes. I was always good at maths at school so I had a go myself at test number 2 at a steady pace and it took me 6 or 7 minutes so I expect my son will take over 10 minutes on that one too.
My one criticism is that the answers are not explained. If your maths is not strong you might struggle to help your child with this book.

Playmobil 5423 Rock Climbers with Mountain Animals
Playmobil 5423 Rock Climbers with Mountain Animals
Offered by Tip Toys Express

5.0 out of 5 stars We had a summer holiday in Switzerland last year and saw marmots and chamoix so we love the animals you get with this set and th, 25 Jun. 2015
Gorgeous set. We had a summer holiday in Switzerland last year and saw marmots and chamoix so we love the animals you get with this set and the marmot burrow. The flowers can be slotted in different holes or swapped around - you can have multicoloured flower bushes if you want to or put them in their right places with the edelweiss on the rocks and the gentians on the grass. The people have removable hats and rucksacks. It is slightly tricky to get the climber to balance on the rope. Perhaps we need to add the mountain rescue set for when he falls off?

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
Meet Me Under the Mistletoe

2.0 out of 5 stars I found this book very dull and the characters very flat, 3 Dec. 2014
I found this book very dull and the characters very flat. The many five star reviews on here made me think that the story must get better and so I perservered with it. The first half of the book is extremely dull with lots of turgid non-happenings that should have been edited out as they were not critical to the story. Once the two sets of characters swap homes (the married mother of two coming with her family to a flat in Brixton and the career woman going up to a cottage in a Yorkshire village) the story does become more interesting but I would still rather not have bothered. I felt cheated by all the 5 star reviews into spending my money on a book that was not worth bothering with.

Easy Learning: Addition and Subtraction Workbook 1 Age 7-9 (Collins Easy Learning Age 7-11)
by Collins Easy Learning

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of practice, 27 Sept. 2012
This book doesn't waste space on teaching, but instead has masses of questions so your child can learn through doing lots of practice. I am pleased that this book has an age range of 7-9, and is not limited to a particular school year. To be honest I think they could have given it an age range of 7-11 as it is simply reinforcing the basic skills of arithmetic that all primary school children need to know.
My daughter has been struggling with numeracy and over the summer I worked with her and discovered that she has no trouble understanding the key stage 2 concepts that she is being taught in school. However, her poor arithmetic is holding her back and sapping her confidence.
The layout of each two-page spread is clear and so far my daughter has been happy to work through it.

The Illustrated Book of Ballet Stories
The Illustrated Book of Ballet Stories
by Barbara Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Introduction to 5 Great Ballets, 25 Jan. 2011
This book is exactly what I was looking for for my 7 year old. She can listen to real ballet music and understand what dances the music relates to. The five stories, Giselle, Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake and Coppelia are beautifully illustrated. In addition to the main story, there are other photographs and snippets of information about types of ballet movements or of historic productions of the ballets. The CD contains
The Sleeping Beauty - 1] Overture, 2] Waltz
Giselle - 1] Daisy mime, 2] Pas de deuz, 3] Peasant waltz, 4] Berthe's warning, 5] Albrecht's salvation
Coppelia - 1] Czardas, 2] Morning hours, 3] Swanilda's Solo
Swan Lake - 1] Act 1 Waltz, 2] Overture to Act 2, 3] White Swan pas de deux, 4] Dance of the cygnets
Nutcracker - 1] Overture, 2] March from Act 1, 3] Chinese dance, 4] Russian dance, 5] Dance of the mirlitons, 6] Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
You know which piece of music relates to which part of the story, as a little star with a number inside it is printed within the narrative of the story, which corresponds to the track number on the CD.
I would definitely recommend this book to any fans of the Darcy Bussell, Little Ballerina series of books as some of the characters in those stories come from these famous ballets.

Roll Over Roly
Roll Over Roly
by Anne Fine

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING!!, 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Roll Over Roly (Paperback)
This book has a story that goes nowhere until the last 3 chapters. A little boy with a puppy is left with his grumpy great aunt for the day. She complains about his manners while being abominably rude herself. A whole chapter is devoted to the boy being given the vacuum cleaner and told to vacuum in straight lines - zzzzzzzz! The only reason I read the whole book and didn't give up was that it was my daughter's set reading and she was finding it too dull to carry on reading herself.

Bedtime Poems Moonlight Rhymes
Bedtime Poems Moonlight Rhymes
by Mary Joslin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift book, 15 Sept. 2009
This book is gorgeous. The illustrations are really beautiful. The rhymes are a mix of well-known secular poems and simple lovely prayers. I think it makes a perfect christening gift, as the rhymes and prayers can be read to a very young child but the beauty of the illustrations will mean that it retains its appeal as the child grows older.

The Bear in the Cave
The Bear in the Cave
by Michael Rosen

3.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, 15 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Bear in the Cave (Paperback)
This book is not one that we would keep long-term. I found the length of the poem and the amount of repetition tedious and I think my 4 year old son did too. There are some similarities between this story and the Bear Hunt; the beach that the bear lives at looks the same, and the bear travels to the city and hears different sounds as he goes to the city. The sounds then get repeated in reverse as the bear goes home. However the Bear Hunt reaches a point of high drama when the family actually find a bear before the family do the journey in reverse. The turning point in this poem is far less dramatic and therefore, I think, less interesting. The illustrations are good and add an extra storyline in that the bear starts off alone but ends with some children snuggling up with him.
This book did not really grab me or my son and personally I prefer the more rhythmic and wickedly entertaining, "Little Rabbit Foo Foo". Nor is it anywhere near as good as "We're Going on a Bear Hunt"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2009 9:03 PM BST

Lift-the-Flap Animal Book
Lift-the-Flap Animal Book
by Rod Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars good tough flaps, 12 Sept. 2009
This book was a favourite of my daughters when she was a toddler, and I have recently revisited it with my son. It is a wonderful book to dip into. There is an animal theme throughout the book, but it is really a series of separate little rhymes covering one page or at most a double page. In my experience, very young children don't always want to start looking at a book from page one. With this book, you can just pick it up, open it anywhere and read the rhyme whilst your child opens the flaps.
Of all the many flap books that we have in our house, this is one of the sturdiest with extremely strong cardboard pages and strong flaps that have not come unstuck.
I would recommend it highly as a book to share with an older baby or young toddler. I have also rediscovered it as a nice interactive book to share with my 4 year old as I try to encourage him to start looking at the words.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3