Profile for katandrats > Reviews

Breast Intentions: How Women Sabotage Breastfeeding for Themselves and Others
Breast Intentions: How Women Sabotage Breastfeeding for Themselves and Others
by Allison Dixley

4.0 out of 5 stars the truth is sometimes hard to read, 22 Feb. 2015
This book can be a bit of a hard read at times, because it highlights that the vast majority of us (myself included) display some of the less desirable characteristics that Allison describes. There were a few places where I felt she was a bit too dismissive of women who have genuine physical barriers to breastfeeding, but overall it is a well written book. Her description of our behaviours in relation to the emotive subject of breastfeeding are spot on.
And the final part of the book gives some very sound advice on how to succeed at breastfeeding.

Beautiful Cotton Strong Carrier Baby Sling WITH EMBROIDERY (Flower)
Beautiful Cotton Strong Carrier Baby Sling WITH EMBROIDERY (Flower)

1.0 out of 5 stars you get what you pay for, 7 April 2014
Okays for my newborn but dug into my shoulders after my daughter was just a few months old.
Have since bought a much better quality mei tai. I paid over £40 for it, but it has lasted me until my daughters is almost 18 months, and I expect it will last a while longer yet.
Shouldn't have wasted my money on this cheaply made sling. It is true, you get what you pay for.

Premaxx Baby- Bag Sling Grey
Premaxx Baby- Bag Sling Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous, 20 Oct. 2013
This sling is dangerous. It is virtually impossible to satisfy the TICKS rules for safe baby wearing using this sling. Baby is not high enough up on parent's body, baby's face is not in view at all times and worst of all baby's chin is forced against their chest, which is likely to cause breathing difficulties and even suffocation. Please do not buy or use this sling.

Premaxx Baby-Bag Sling Sahara
Premaxx Baby-Bag Sling Sahara

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous, 20 Oct. 2013

theBabaSling Classic - Dolphin Grey Baby Carrier
theBabaSling Classic - Dolphin Grey Baby Carrier

1.0 out of 5 stars love slings - but not this one, 31 Aug. 2013
I love my slings. I have tried lots. Some are just fantastic but this really isn't one of them. It is very difficult to adjust, and to get tight enough and it is very easy to allow baby to get into a poor position which can be very dangerous.
Babies in slings should be high up on the wearer's body. Their forehead should be close enough for the wearer to kiss without straining their neck. This can sometimes be achieved with a Babsling, if you have larger baby but is virtually impossible with a tiny baby. The shoulder is uncomfortable for the wearer, even if it remains in place, which it rarely does, it ends up riding up and digging into the wearer's neck.
If you want a sling (and I do thinks slings are great things to have) and you like the single shouldered style, spend your money on a good quality ring sling. Or for even more comfort, get a two shouldered sling, like a wrap (Moby, Calin Bleu etc.) or a Manduca, Connecta, Babyhawk or Action Baby Carrier.

Catching Babies: A Midwife's Tale
Catching Babies: A Midwife's Tale
by Sheena Byrom

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting insight into midwifery practice in the UK, 25 Feb. 2012
This book is an interesting insight into midwifery practice in this country. Unlike 'Call the Midwife' it deals with much more recent times and I think it is extremely relevant to those wanting to know how our maternity system has changed over the past 40 years.
Written by a dedicated midwife who has worked hard to change the system for the better, I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone considering becoming or training to be a midwife.

Iron Man
Iron Man
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful teaching tool, 24 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Iron Man (Audio CD)
I used this CD to help bring to life Hughes's story of The Iron Man to my class of 8 year olds. I played a few of the tracks for them and asked them to tell me what part of the story they told and to explain how they knew this. We studied the lyrics to the grulesome 'Fast Food'(which the children loved) particually closely. I allowed the children to listen to the CD on headphones during any freetime they had during the day. I wish I could have taken the class to see the musical being performed, as I feel this would have enhanced their understanding and appreciation of the story even further.

Marker
Marker
by Robin Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Cook, 11 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Marker (Paperback)
This is the 19th Robin Cook medical thriller I havre read, so you could say I'm quite a fan. Marker is quite a typical Robin Cook novel. The main characters (my fav Cook characters) are Jack and Laurie, the New York medical examiners who have 'stared' in several previous works. I did guess a lot of what was going to happen before it did. Not sure if Cook has written a predictible story or just that reading so many of his books has tuned my mind into his way of thinking!