Profile for Mr. K. Heap > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
LG DP542H DVD Player
LG DP542H DVD Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and good quality picture, 24 July 2016
This review is from: LG DP542H DVD Player (Electronics)
Easy to use and good quality picture. However, don't be fooled by the cheap price, it is a bit of a 'con' as there are no TV connection leads included. I had to go to an electrical store and buy one and this cost me as much as the DVD player, which I though was a con. I had to buy a new lead because the old lead to my previous JVC DVD player was a scart to scart connection. This isn't. It is scart from the TV to a three lead din type connection to the DVD player. This means that when you turn on the DVD player and insert your disc, you then have to tune the TV to AV2 separately which is a pain. You pay for what you get, but again I have to say that the quality is good.

Sharpie Fine Point Permanent Markers Carded 8/Pkg-Assorted Colors
Sharpie Fine Point Permanent Markers Carded 8/Pkg-Assorted Colors
Offered by center 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 July 2016
Good product

Wills, Probate and Inheritance Tax For Dummies
Wills, Probate and Inheritance Tax For Dummies
by Julian Knight

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book that told me most of what I needed ..., 24 July 2016
A good book that told me most of what I needed to know, but if you have to deal with Inheritance Tax, you will realize that it only scratches the surface. The HMRC website is also a very useful source of information, particularly if you are dealing with a Trust Will. I felt much of the easy to read script was unnecessarily 'Americanized' or used too much slang e.g. 'dishing out the dosh' !! Obviously intended to keep the narrative light hearted but it was wasted on me as I found it irritating ! Probably says more about me that the book !!!

Morphy Richards 501013 Soup Maker with Serrator Blade - Brushed Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 501013 Soup Maker with Serrator Blade - Brushed Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST kitchen aid I have ever bought., 10 Feb. 2016
This is without doubt THE best kitchen aid I have ever bought. It has paid for itself already and I make delicious home made soup 3 times a week. It is so simple and easy to use and very easy to clean. About the size of a domestic kettle, it sits on the worktop, so no messing about dragging it out of cupboards. I mainly make vegetable soup, because we love it, but there are several other recipes in the booklet that comes with it. My wife prefers chunky soup and I like smooth soup, so I make it on the chunky setting, take hers out and then use the blend function for mine - dead easy.
The soup is just so healthy, lots of soluble and insoluble fibre and you will never waste vegetables ever again. Whatever you have left over just chop it up and throw it in! I recommend that you always use some potato in every veg. soup as it makes the consistency just right.

Cuisinart Mini Food Chopper, Silver
Cuisinart Mini Food Chopper, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy little grinder, 10 Feb. 2016
Excellent, sturdy little grinder that I use mainly for fresh breadcrumbs, but also intend to make some humous in it etc... Well recommended

Living with Heroes: The Story of the Dam Busters
Living with Heroes: The Story of the Dam Busters
by Harry Humphries

5.0 out of 5 stars From the horses mouth, 6 Dec. 2015
An excellent book written by someone who actually was part of 617 squadron and knew all the crews involved. Well recommended.

Royal Navy Frigates, 1945-83
Royal Navy Frigates, 1945-83
by Leo Marriott

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent partial history, 6 Dec. 2015
A very interesting book and well written, but all black and white photos. The earlier post war frigates are unknown to me as my interest started in the mid sixties when I wanted to join the Royal Navy (and indeed was accepted) but then was forbidden by my parents! Can you imagine that happening today? The really interesting part of the book for me starts with the Leander Class frigates and their subsequent conversion to specialist roles, i.e. anti-submarine, air defence etc.... One can't imagine this happening in the present era due to the cost of operating specialist ships. Indeed the change to multi-role frigates started just before the Falklands War with the Type 22 (Broadsword) frigates and fine ships they were. However, to me and also a former Royal Navy Captain that I have the privilege to know, believe that their successors, the 'stretched' Type 22 (batch 2) frigates, the first being HMS Boxer, were the finest ever to sail and their sea keeping qualities unsurpassed. He captained HMS Brave, F94. A good read but one that would be superb if it were from 1945 to the present.

Dambuster Crash Sites: 617 Squadron in Holland and Germany (Aviation Heritage Trail)
by Chris Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Did they plan enough for the power lines?, 11 July 2015
A well researched and informative book; it tends to help end the, possibly somewhat morose, interest in where most of those who did not return met their fate. It leaves me with the impression that there was insufficient research and data on the location and routes of power lines, as several crews met their fate this way. Possibly a result of how quickly the training for the raid had to be but nevertheless a fundamental requirement of low flying at night in enemy territory? The only very slight criticism/observation that I would make is that as the book covers 617 squadron in general, not just the dams raid, it has the glaring omission of Guy Gibson's crash site at Rheydt, in Holland.

Henry Maudslay Dam Buster
Henry Maudslay Dam Buster
by Robert Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent book which has been meticulously researched and beautifully written, 29 Jun. 2015
This is an excellent book which has been meticulously researched and beautifully written. It is (as Paul Brickhill described Sir Barnes Wallis's "A Note on a Method of Attacking the Axis Powers") a 'Tour de Force' of the life of a brave and courageous hero. Henry Maudsley was clearly a brilliant man. He was educated at Eton and was the type of person who, at that time, was the backbone of England and without whom we wouldn't have survived. Sadly it was a brilliant young life that was to be all too short, as he was one of casualties of the Dam's Raid on the 16/17th May 1943.
His short life is described in infinite detail, particularly his years at Eton where he attained high sporting achievements as well as academic ones, before volunteering for the RAF. This is evidenced by the fact that you are nearly 2/3rds of the way through the book before he is transferred to 617 Squadron. This book is probably the longest of the several biographies available for those heroes who didn't return and I am now starting David Maltby's Biography. It has been my humble privilege to stand in silent prayer in front of Henry Maudsley's grave and indeed all the others, including Guy Gibson, which one can do if going on "The Dambuster's Battlefield Tour" run by Leger Coach Holidays. This is recommended as much as this wonderfully moving book.

Marryat - Prince of Fly Fishers: The Life and Times of George Selwyn Marryat
Marryat - Prince of Fly Fishers: The Life and Times of George Selwyn Marryat
by Terry Lawton

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written biography of a great fly fisherman, 25 April 2015
A wonderfully well written biography of probably the best, but yet least known, fly fisherman of his era. G.S. Marryat was to me the 'King' of Fly fishers, not just a Prince. The famous Halford owes a lot to George Marryat, who critically reviewed Halford's 'draft' books. For me, as a North Country fly fisher, the 'Little Marryat' is still one of the best dry flies in the fly box, providing you tie it to exactly as his dressing. This book is a 'must read' for all river fly fishers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7