Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now
Profile for Matt > Reviews

Creative Sound Blasterx H5 Analogue Pro Gaming Headset - Black
Creative Sound Blasterx H5 Analogue Pro Gaming Headset - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pair of Gaming Headphones, 17 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not an online gamer so have no use for the microphone element of these headphones so unfortunately can't comment on that but headphone-wise, these are great! In case you don't know, you can plug a pair of headphones into the PS4 controller via a mini-jack socket n the bottom edge. The first time you do this, nothing will happen but via a bit of tweaking in the settings (hold the PS button) you can set the sound to automatically switch over when the headphones are plugged in (I can't comment how this may work on any other console, sorry!)

My main use for these is to save my family from being disturbed as I mostly play in the PS4 after they have all gone to bed. I like to listen to films and games quite loud which isn't ideal with a young family. With these headphones, it's not a problem at all. They have a volume control on the cable and you also have additional volume control via the PS4 settings (again, can't comment for other consoles).

The sound quality is very good and the headphones feel like a good quality piece of kit and feel very well put together. The microphone can be detached and they also come with a Y-splitter cable so they can be used with older devices that have separate sockets for headphones and microphone inputs.

All in all, they are a great pair of headphones and I can't fault them!

Sony PlayStation 4 Console with Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham and The Lego Movie [Blu-ray + UV Copy]

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Lonely...I Think, 9 Mar. 2016
My wife has gone (I think, I've not really turned my head recently to check), my kids no longer recognise me...but on the upside, my hand-eye co-ordination is back to where it was in 1994!

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Assassins Creed: Nap Time..., 9 Mar. 2016
I just don't care about this game. When I was playing Fallout 4 (not that I'm saying the two compare at all, it's just the game I played previously) it had me hooked. i played for hours every night and couldn't wait until I could next get on. With Assassins Creed Syndicate, I can easily go for days without playing it. When I finally do, I do a mission or two, kill a few people, rinse repeat, that sort of thing, get bored and turn it off again. The game mechanics are ridiculous (you can scale Big Ben in literally eight seconds by boosting yourself eight feet into the air each time with just your finger tips). Obviously it has to be like that because otherwise it would take you hours to get anywhere.

You can see through walls, you can murder countless people in the street, the main effect of which will be an old cockney woman exclaiming "Ooh, there's been a murder!" The police may chase you but you can easily get away. Walk past the same copper again minutes later and he doesn't care.

It's not realistic and not anything like as gripping as the earlier games in the series (whichever ones had Ezio. He was fun to play). The graphics are good but that doesn't make up for an absence of game play or plot (I'm up to level 6 and I still don't know what the hell a "piece of Eden" is or why I should care about it). I don't think I'll finish this, I'll probably just trade it in for something else. Very disappointing, it's a shame.

My Precious Baby Activity Play Centre
My Precious Baby Activity Play Centre

3.0 out of 5 stars This Toy Sucks Because it Doesn't Suck..., 9 Mar. 2016
This is a toy that my baby girl finds fairly interesting, but the main problem is that it doesn't actually stick to the high chair tray at all. She is only one year old and yet she can easily pull it up and throw it on the floor. This is so easy for her that she now thinks this is what she's supposed to do with it so she never actually plays with it. Bit of a waste of money really.

For info, we use the basic IKEA high chair with the add on tray. It's flat and clean so that's not the reason for the lack of suction.

Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 - UK Layout (Business Packaging)
Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 - UK Layout (Business Packaging)
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, 9 Mar. 2016
I can't recommend this keyboard, it's simply too unreliable. It is a very basic, cheap feeling keyboard but on top of that, it doesn't always work. If left untouched for too long, the num-lock light goes off for no reason and lights up again if a key (any key, not just a number pad key) is pressed.

Along with that, every so often, it just seems to stop working. This can be if nothing is typed for a while but just as often, when typing mid sentence. I'll get a warning tone that repeats a few times (once for every key press and I'm quite quick at typing) and looking up, 5-10 letters are missing from the middle of what I was typing.

I've checked the connection and it doesn't appear to be loose. Maybe I just got a bad one but I've only had it for two months and I'm about to chuck it in the bin as soon as the replacement arrives. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for and with this keyboard, I didn't pay for much, it seems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2016 9:11 PM BST

Popband Ponytail Holders, Tribal
Popband Ponytail Holders, Tribal

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product, Quite Pricey, Though, 27 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter loves these but then again, she does have very long hair and is a bit of a nut when it comes to hair accessories. They are just as easy as a standard bobble to use but they do feel nicer than ones joined with a metal clamp as with those, I'm always trying to make sure the clamp ends on the top of the bobble to reduce the chance of it snagging in her hair.

My only issue with these is that the pattern isn't printed on both sides of the band so if it twists while you're putting it in (as bobbles are prone to do) you can end up with the boring white side showing instead of the nice design.

The only other thing I'd say is that £8 for five is very expensive. I wouldn't like to pay any more than £1 per band (and even then I think that's pushing it). Apart from that, it is a nice product.

Walimex 75 W ring light (output 75 Watt, interior diameter of approx. 37 cm)
Walimex 75 W ring light (output 75 Watt, interior diameter of approx. 37 cm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Couple of Bits Missing, If You Ask Me..., 27 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would classify myself as an enthusiastic amateur photographer but had never heard of this sort of light until it was offered to me to review. When it arrived I was surprised at the size of it, expecting it to be only slightly bigger than the camera lens (as I've seen those lens end lights before). This is over a foot (30cm) wide.

Two negative points that instantly struck me is that it doesn't come with a UK plug and secondly, it doesn't come with a spigot adapter or any way to fit it to a standard tripod. I've ended up using it by having the camera on a tripod and holding the light myself. Not so bad if I'm taking a photo of my wife or four year old daughter but a bit of a bugger if I try to take pictures of my one year old!

I've not had any of the problems other reviewers have reported regarding the dimmer not working or the light failing completely after one use. It does feel like a pretty flimsy piece of kit and if I'd paid over £100 for it I'd be a bit concerned but so far it works as expected.

The main thing to take into consideration when buying this is that you'll also need a converter plug (I'm using my shaving plug which works fine) and a spigot converter or a dedicated light tripod. Also, a replacement bulb costs about £25.

19 inch 2u Rack Drawer
19 inch 2u Rack Drawer
Offered by Simply Sound Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Bought it Twice!, 26 Feb. 2016
There's not a lot you can say about a drawer really. This is easy to fit into a rack (same as any other piece of rack mount equipment) and once installed, the drawer works very well. It has a nice steady slide open and closed, and the handle works as a latch, lifting slightly, so the drawer can't come open on its own. It is also lockable, should that be something you need. I've had one for a few months and have recently acquired some new equipment for my setup and now need another and I have ordered the same drawer again.

George Fest: A Night To Celebrate,The Music of George Harrison
George Fest: A Night To Celebrate,The Music of George Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Close Your Eyes and it's George..., 26 Feb. 2016
...at least, when his son Dhani is singing. It's uncanny how much he sounds like his father. It's such a shame he doesn't take the lead vocal for the majority of the concert. This project came about when Dhani was asked why he never put on a tribute concert in America (not sure why that would come up but that's apparently what started it).

There are a couple of big names here such as Brian Wilson, Conan O'Brian, Norah Jones and Weird Al Yankovic, but you won't be hearing from the likes of George Harrison alumni such as Clapton, McCartney, Starr etc. While some of the covers are fairly decent, others are abysmal, such as Heartless Bastards singing If Not For You and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club singing Art of Dying. Cold War Kids sing Taxman and it starts out pretty good but by the end of it, the singing is shouting at the audience as if he's gone off the deep end.

The film of the concert is quite nice to watch, but it's probably not something I'll come back to very often at all. There is also some sort of flashing that happens during certain songs (typically the more upbeat numbers) but it only seems to effect certain cameras filming the stage. I don't know if it's some sort of distortion or the lights interfering but it's pretty annoying.

i think when it comes down to it, the main thing people will want to know is how does it compare to Concert for George? The answer is it can't compete at all. Die hard fans will find enjoyment in it, casual fans may find some, and if you like some of the artists who feature then you should give it a listen too, but try to listen to it without high expectations.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2016 8:53 PM GMT

Jeff Banks 6-Piece Egyptian Cotton Supersoft Contemporary Towels - White
Jeff Banks 6-Piece Egyptian Cotton Supersoft Contemporary Towels - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 24 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A few other reviews state how expensive these towels are but having bought Egyptian Cotton towels before, I would say these are quite cheap. That said, they are quite thin and at this price, you can't expect to get anything in a bath sheet size (this set's price in Debenhams would just about buy you one Egyptian Cotton bath sheet).

They are nice soft towels and they do come out of the wash still soft, but i find that this is fairly common with all towels, and that they only go harder and scratchy over the years. I expect these to do the same but it won't bother me if they do.

They arrive well presented and would be a good gift either for a wedding or as a house warming present.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20