Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Carlos Diaz Mens Womens Unisex Argentinian Brown Leather Embroidered Polo Belt (90 cm/ 34-36 Inches)
Offered by Sync With Style

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Nice, Good Quality Belt, 31 Aug. 2017
I bought this belt after the buckle on my old one broke (wear and tear I like to think, as opposed to an expanding waistline! I did have the last one for twenty years, after all!) Browsing around Amazon I found a belt I loved the look of by a company called Pampeano. I've never heard of them but they must be high market as the belt was £65! Far too expensive for my taste but following further browsing I found this belt. Very similar designs but a much more acceptable price.

I've only been wearing it for a few weeks but so far I'm very satisfied. I don't really get to enjoy the pattern much as it only appears on the back of the belt (and no-one else gets to enjoy it either as I don't tuck my shirts in) but it's easy to use, comfortable, and most importantly, stops my jeans falling down! I have read reviews for similar belts saying the stitching started to fray after some use. Well that's not happened to me so far. If it does I'll come back and update this review.

Motorola VerveCam+ Portable Live Casting Camera for Smartphone - White
Motorola VerveCam+ Portable Live Casting Camera for Smartphone - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable App and Therefore Unusable Camera. Don't Waste Your Money, 31 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is technically a review of the app, not the camera, but as you need the app to control the camera I think it's okay.

The app doesn't work.

After half an hour of fighting, I got it to find the camera. Another five minutes later I get it to connect. After that I try to select "live streaming" and the app tells me it needs to connect to the wifi or a portable hotspot. I pick the wifi and it spends another five minutes failing to detect it (every other device I have on hand can still see it/is connected). I turn everything off and start again. It finds the camera quicker (hooray!), it finds the wifi (HOORAY!) it connects (so close!)..."Do you want to reconnect the camera?" Well, when did it disconnect? The whole process starts again. And again.

To say it's unstable is a massive understatement. Apart from being buggy as hell, the app actually has spelling mistakes. It reeks of something hastily thrown together and currently, for me at least, is entirely unusable.

The camera looks well built and has all sorts of lovely accessories (see Amazon product description) but at the moment I'm unable to use any of it. Don't waste your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2017 1:21 PM BST

STABILO EASYoriginal Handwriting Pen for Left Handed - Neon Blue/Metallic
STABILO EASYoriginal Handwriting Pen for Left Handed - Neon Blue/Metallic

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Excellent for Learning to Hold a Pen and Write, 31 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tend to think that all of this stuff specially made for left handed people is snake oil...and I'm right to an extent. If a right handed person can use a pen with a round barrel, why can't a left handed person? Well, they can. I'm left handed and growing up in a predominantly right handed world, I learned to adapt. I can use "normal" scissors as well as anyone else. Give me a pair of left handed scissors and I can't use them at all!

Anyway, despite my daughter (who is also left handed) already having pretty average handwriting for a six-year-old, I thought I'd get her this pen to try. She must be like me and simply try to use something any way she can because after a few minutes use, I looked at her to see she was just holding it any old way (I have no idea how she managed for so long!) When I showed her how to hold it properly she exclaimed "Oh! That's better!" and carried on.

It hasn't improved her handwriting at all but I do believe it's good for getting her to hold a pen properly. I'm not sure how I hold a pen differently to the rest of the world but my handwriting looks like an intoxicated, epileptic spider with an odd number of legs staggered through an ink well before crossing the page. I have to write in capitals just so I can read my own writing. If this pen can help my daughter have neater handwriting than mine (ad to be honest, she almost does already!) then who am I to argue?

Jabra Sport Pace Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones for Fitness - Red
Jabra Sport Pace Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones for Fitness - Red
Offered by The Outlet Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, Uncomfortable, and Unreliable, 31 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I could write a long and in-depth review about these earphones but I don't think there's really any point. Look at the other review scores and see the bad points they've made. In my experience I have to agree. They are not comfortable to wear, they are very expensive and, most importantly, they seem to fail very soon into their lives. Other reviewers have said they had a couple of months (or even just a couple of runs!) out of them and mine were the same. I think I wore them three times and they died. I was quite happy though as they really aren't comfortable.

LEGO 42068 Airport Rescue Vehicle Toy
LEGO 42068 Airport Rescue Vehicle Toy

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Boring and Complicated...and I'm 38!, 31 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know if fans of standard LEGO and fans of Technic LEGO are two very different people (I am the former) but building this model was just a thoroughly boring process for me. It spent two-and-a-half hours the first night and at the end I had an unrecognisable lump. A further three hours the following night saw the model finished and while it's nice to look at, I didn't have the feeling on satisfaction when I finish a model (my favourite LEGO builds in the past including the UCS TIE FIghter and X-Wing from Star Wars, and the Saturn V rocket, which was my all time favourite).

You have to pay VERY good attention to what you are doing and follow the instructions very carefully. One mistake and you could give yourself no end of trouble trying to fix it. I made such a mistake (on the first night I think) and at the end the hose on top wouldn't turn properly. I'd missed putting one bit into another to allow the gears to turn. Unfortunately it wasn't an easy fix and Technic LEGO doesn't come apart easily. I had to very carefully take apart certain bits to fix it. I managed it but at the time I was thinking that if a ten-year-old made the same mistake, they'd stand no chance.

Unlike standard LEGO which comes in numbered bags that you open one at a time to continue each step of the build, this set just comes in a lot of bags that all need to be opened at the start meaning a lot of pieces strewn around your lounge floor. This is quite a pain if you can't finish the build in one session as I couldn't.

The model also boasts a second build using the same pieces, but the instructions aren't included. instead you have to view them online. I'm not sure how that's useful really. As I built this surrounded by piles of all the bags I'd opened I didn't really have room for a laptop as well.

For fans of Technic LEGO I'm sure it's an impressive model but I didn't enjoy it and once I can bring myself to take the thing apart (which, I imagine will take as long, if not longer than building it did) I won't be trying the second build.

Mr Men Winter Sports
Mr Men Winter Sports
by Adam Hargreaves

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not a Strong Story, 31 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Mr Men Winter Sports (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like the other reviewers, I have to agree that the quality of the story in this book just isn't up to the standard of Roger Hargreaves' original books. Instead of the story revolving around one character and their flaw/characteristic, these newer stories feature an ensemble cast in an amusing situation or predicament. The style of the original books is lovingly recreated here but any fan of the originals will feel like there is something missing. Still, young children won't notice so much and my daughter loves this story as much as she does the originals (which we have in a box set).

STK Life 8 UK SIM-Free Dual-Sim 4G 8GB Smartphone Includes Phone Case and Installed Screen Protector - Black
Offered by total digital stores

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Budget Phone, 31 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
While I consider myself quite technically minded, I am a bit baffled by smartphones and their operating systems. Android is the system I'm most familiar with but even then there's still a lot to learn. I've had Android smartphones for three years now (A Sony Xperia Z1 Compact followed by a Z5 compact).I would expect Android on those phones to look identical to this one but it isn't. It's VERY similar though which makes things easier.

It's a bigger screen than I'm used to and it's lovely to look at. However, I do find it a bit slow to respond when I touch it at times. It could be the difference between a more expensive phone and this one (which, at around £100, I consider to be a budget smartphone) but there is certainly an element of lag. The other thing that really annoys me is that the three menu buttons at the bottom don't light up. On the Z1/Z5 if you swipe down from the top, the menu buttons appear at the bottom of the screen. This phone doesn't do this, it simply has three soft buttons at the bottom of the screen but they never light up and you can't feel them. This combines with the slow screen response makes them a little hard to find.

Regarding onboard memory, it barely has any. I installed two apps (okay, they were games!) and when I tried to install a third it said there was no room. However, this is no mere iPhone and there is of course room for a memory card. The phone also has two SIM card slots but I can't offer much more insight than that as I have only ever had one SIM card. I assume it's useful if you want to have two numbers on the same phone, such as business and personal.

I was very surprised to find that the phone comes with a clear protective case that covers the back and sides, a very nice touch. It also comes with a screen protector and, even better, it's already fitted on the phone! Given the minute cost of items such as these, I'm surprised more phone manufacturers don't do this.

One thing that has thoroughly baffled me though is the fact that the on-screen keyboard that comes up when a text box is selected has suddenly stopped appearing. I didn't change any settings or install any new apps. It just suddenly wont come up, either in a game/app, or when trying to browse the internet, or compose a text message. I've searched the internet but a solution but it doesn't seem to be a common problem. I'm assuming formatting the phone will fix the problem but who's to say it wont suddenly happen again? And this is only after a couple of week's use.

Assuming the missing keyboard is just a minor glitch with my model and not indicative of all of these phones, it's otherwise a decent bit of kit. The only reason I give it four stars is because of the slow responding touch screen.

Reeves Colouring in Postcards, Colourful Cosmos
Reeves Colouring in Postcards, Colourful Cosmos
Offered by Accessory-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Enjoyable, 31 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ever since the fad of adult colouring books came along I've always fancied trying it, although I did worry about buying all the stuff and getting bored too quickly. This set is perfect if you want to have a go but not get too sucked in. As opposed to a full A4 size intricate picture to colour, these small postcards are perfect. Some of them take up the whole card but others have a detailed pattern with a word across. The words tend to be things like "Hello", "Hugs", "Thanks" and these words in other languages too.

I didn't really clockwatch for the first picture I coloured but I'd guess it took me between an hour and an hour-and-a-half. I was glad to finish but wasn't getting bored of colouring before I did.

The book also comes with a set of six small crayons that are enclosed in a clear plastic pouch that's part of the cover. My only (minor) gripe is that I don't think they'll last to colour every page in the book. However, I'm not sure I'll get through the whole thing anyway (although my wife has already had a go too).

To conclude, it was surprisingly enjoyable!

essie Gel Couture Nail Polish, 70 Take Me To Thread 13.5 ml
essie Gel Couture Nail Polish, 70 Take Me To Thread 13.5 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Nice Polish, 3 Aug. 2017
Review written by my wife:

It is a bit difficult to fully review this nail polish as I was only sent the polish to review, not the top coat. The twisted bottle has a nice look and feel and the brush feels good quality. The polish was easy to apply and glides on. I used two coats of “70 – Take Me To Thread” and it gave a good solid colour, very similar to the picture. It isn’t a shade I’d normally go for, but I quite liked it as it looked professional; suitable for the office. I wouldn’t say it lasted any longer than my usual colour, but as I wasn’t sent the top coat it is difficult to judge. I got one small chip after twenty-four hours and then had the colour on for about three days. I should mention though, I was running around after the kids those days and doing some heavy clearing out ready for redecorating – so all in all that’s probably not too bad given my hands probably had a bit of a battering! I’ve given this four stars as although without the top coat it lasts the same amount of time as a regular nail varnish, the sleek design and easy application make it stand out compared to other polishes I’ve used.

Daisy Dixon Women's Watch DD043RGM
Daisy Dixon Women's Watch DD043RGM
Offered by RAREWAVES

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Seem to Keep Time!, 3 Aug. 2017
Review written by my wife:

I’ve been using this watch for a few months. I usually wear chrome/silver watch and jewellery and originally got this to wear for going out when I sometimes wear a gold bracelet and necklace. However, I’ve ended up wearing the watch a lot more, partly out of laziness; once it was on my wrist I didn’t take it off, but also because I really like the design. It is a really pretty watch and a nice piece of jewellery. It feels great quality for the price and the flower detail on the face of the watch is lovely and the time is easy to read.

So, why three stars? I’ve been wondering for the last few weeks whether the watch is keeping good time. I’ve noticed a few times that it has fallen behind time. I thought this a bit odd, and at first suspected the battery. However, I’ve had it sat on my dressing table for several days and it hasn’t lost time. I’ve concluded that the pin to change the time must be a bit sensitive and pop in and out too easily. Probably not helped but the fact I’ve been wearing daily and usually have two small children crawling and jumping all over me! So, all in all would say it is a nice dress watch but I probably won’t be wearing it day-to-day anymore.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20