Profile for gregblag > Reviews

Content by gregblag

gregblag

Shorter Oxford English Dictionary 6th Edition on CD-ROM: Windows/Mac Individual User Version 3.0: Windows Individual User Version 3.0
by Lesley Brown
Edition: CD-ROM

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Shorter English Dictionary on CD Rom, 3 Jun. 2013
First of all I was not sure if the dictionary would run with Windows 7. Windows 7 was not included with the operating systems quoted on the back of the cd cover but it works fine.

Installation was a pleasant surprise. I have the full OED on cd and installing that can take quite a while. This was lightning fast. My operating system suggested that installation was faulty but on trying it out it worked fine.

I like the set up. It's easy to navigate around, very smooth. The entries, quotations etc. are clear.

As for the dictionary itself I have yet to make up my mind as I will need to work with it a little bit. In my opinion the OED is the best English dictionary for fulfilling the most important function of a dictionary - imparting an understanding of a word. This version of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary is less forbidding than the older versions which is all to the good. I expect and hope that this latest edition has not lost the clarity of explanation which is a hallmark of most Oxford dictionaries.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2015 1:26 PM BST

A Richer Tradition: Country Blues And String Band Music 1923-1942
A Richer Tradition: Country Blues And String Band Music 1923-1942

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly Flawed, 12 Feb. 2011
It's the sound quality that makes give this set two stars. Actually I would give no stars for the sound quality, the stars are for the actual content which is excellent.

I was listening to the jug band disc (B) the other day and I just couldn't enjoy it. The sound is shrill and has no depth. Violins become painful. It takes away 90% of the listening pleasure. I put on Gastonia Gallop (cotton mill songs & hillbilly blues, 1927-1931), Old Hat records, immediately after and what a contrast. There is plenty of hiss and crackle on this cd but the music is all there and can be enjoyed.

On a positive note the set does have an Alec Johnson track that has not been messed about with and sounds great. On the side B that I have complained about track 14 is stunning and I loved it. I am talking about content. The music on that track is so good it almost overcomes the remastering of this set and I will keep an eye out to see if I can find it on some other label. I also enjoyed a lot of the guitar work on side C, a blues side even though the sound is not great.

I haven't listened to this set exhaustively but enough to know it is badly flawed. If I had my money back I would not buy it again.