Profile for Mark M. > Reviews

The Unbearable Lightness Of Being (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a Blu-ray release., 18 Jun. 2017
I can't add much to the best reviews on here. My own view is this film is like the best of European cinema, but in English. Without foreknowledge, I was expecting the film to be in a foreign language. My purpose in writing this review is to ask the distributor to make this film available in HD on Blu-ray. Artificial Eye, Criterion, Studio Canal: surely someone can put out a Blu-ray release. With so many less deserving films on Blu-ray, it's hard to understand why this isn't unless there is some rights issue.

Leviathan [Blu-ray]
Leviathan [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Elena Lyadova

4.0 out of 5 stars Vodka, what else?, 30 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Leviathan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have seen a great many Russian films over the years. I imagine there are many more I haven't seen or heard about, but this one came with such praise, I thought I would try it. On first viewing, I was a little disappointed. Some of the characters are stereotypes; I have seen their like before, and I thought that some of the deleted scenes should have been left in. Certainly, towards the end, I felt things were rushed toward the conclusion.

However, my main irritation derived from the scene where Nikolay talks with Vasiliy (the priest). I felt this was exposition that I didn't need. I would have understood the film's metaphor without it and since Vasiliy has no other role in the film, it felt like interference. That is, someone told the director that the film needed this scene to explain things. I also thought that the sermon at the end was too much, but that may stem from my secular point of view.

All that said, I could not get the film out of my mind. The stunning imagery, the wonderful Philip Glass score and the understated quiet beauty of Elena Lyadova. This film demands and benefits from repeated viewings. Now, I realise what a quality film it is and how much it deserves the praise heaped upon it. It reminds me of the great Russian novels I read years ago, both in scope and character study. This film honours those intense and complex stories.

Marilyn Monroe 2017 Square Faces (Foil) Square Wall Calendar
Marilyn Monroe 2017 Square Faces (Foil) Square Wall Calendar
by Marilyn Monroe
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars The beautiful Marilyn in stunning quality., 30 Dec. 2016
I have a Marilyn Monroe calendar every year and I always seek out the best available and ideally the licensed version. They just get better every year. I thought that the 2016 version was the best yet, but the 2017 edition has surpassed it. The pictures this time are fabulous. A great ongoing tribute to the gorgeous and much missed Marilyn. Some of the pictures I have seen before, some are new to me, but the reproduction quality in the licensed versions is stunning. Moreover, there is useful space to write appointments, birthdays, etc.

Marilyn Monroe Montage 1000 Piece Jigsaw
Marilyn Monroe Montage 1000 Piece Jigsaw

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a jigsaw puzzle and it's Marilyn, what more could you want!, 26 Dec. 2016
Beautiful Marilyn as photographed by the legendary Sam Shaw. A top quality puzzle, with regular shaped pieces. A joy to complete, because as you do so the lovely Marilyn appears in clear, sharp, colour and black and white images. Perhaps not as challenging as some puzzles, but the result is a thing of splendour.

Oranges and Sunshine Blu-Ray
Oranges and Sunshine Blu-Ray
Offered by Beat The Bomb

5.0 out of 5 stars There but for the grace of..., 5 Nov. 2016
This is an outstanding film.

In the BFI Q&A on the DVD there is a question to Jim Loach about whether he thought of making a documentary around this true story instead of a drama, but he has done what his father did with Cathy Come Home. He has made a drama, with the immense power of a documentary because it depicts real events.

I was adopted at the start of the sixties, as were my sisters. This could so easily have been us. I think the story and the telling of the story should move anybody, but thinking that we were spared this outrage made it that bit more poignant for me.

The acting across the board is excellent and not just the leads, although Emily Watson's performance is exceptional, naturalistic and award worthy. Some of the lesser roles, the people telling their stories, are also first rate.

The scene near the end where Ben says, we gave you our mother, brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it.

Dulcima [DVD]
Dulcima [DVD]
Dvd ~ Carol White

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost gem, with the lovely Carol White, 11 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Dulcima [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD to replace a bootleg copy I sourced some years ago. The quality on this release is excellent and finally does the film justice. I am a big fan of the gorgeous Carol White and I think this is her best performance in a non Ken Loach film. I wish she had stayed in Britain and made more films like this. The US studios didn’t treat her very well and the films she made there are not in the same league as Dulcima, Poor Cow and Cathy Come Home.

Carol is one of those people, like Marilyn Monroe, that you wish you could have saved. Her life was quite sad and ended in a miserable way. At her peak they called her the Battersea Bardot and it is a shame that she is not as well remembered now as she deserves.

Dulcima has a similar feel to The Darling Buds of May, so if you liked that you should like this too and John Mills rarely made a bad film or gave less than his very best. He doesn’t dominate the film though as you might expect, this is really Carol’s film and even her impoverished rural state at the start, she positively glows.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2017 9:41 PM BST

The Code - Season 1 (FSK 12 Jahre) DVD
The Code - Season 1 (FSK 12 Jahre) DVD
Offered by Annikhali

5.0 out of 5 stars The Outback in HD, 10 Sept. 2016
If you have got this far you already know the series and how brilliant it is, so this review concerns the German Blu-ray release.
I don't know why there isn't a UK Blu-ray release as the outback looks excellent in HD, but I bought the German release from Amazon.de (the website is identical to the UK layout and easy to use without knowing any German.) The episodes are split across two disks and the second disk has some interesting featurettes about the making of the series, which are also available on the Australian DVD but not on the UK DVD. You have the option of either English or German audio and the option of English or German subtitles (or no subtitles). It's quite pricey, but I am glad that I bought it, because Blu-ray makes a great series even better and I needed the optional English subtitles. A second series is on the way.

Not The Girl You Think You Are
Not The Girl You Think You Are

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Crowded House song., 3 Sept. 2016
The very best of Crowded House, in one song. Tim Finn says he was trying to write a Beatles' type song and he succeeded. In fact, it's a song that reminds me of the collaboration between George Harrison and Jeff Lynne (someone else whose song writing echoes the Beatles).

Synecdoche, New York [DVD] [2008]
Synecdoche, New York [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Philip Seymour Hoffman
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars No English subtitles on UK release., 8 Aug. 2016
Like many other reviewers I was disappointed that the UK DVD has no subtitles for the deaf or hard of hearing. I am neither of these, but the film needs it because Mr Hoffman mumbles his way through the two hours. I wanted to see this film, but found it hard work due to the lack of subtitles. The US DVD and Blu-ray both have English subtitles, so it's the UK distributor that is to blame here. I will buy a copy from the US, as I have the facility to play Region 1 DVDs. Some reviewers on here say that is wrong to mark the film down due to the lack of subtitles, but without them how can we give a fair assesment of the film?
Update: The US Blu-ray is Region Free.

Kylie Minogue - Intimate and Live (DVD)
Kylie Minogue - Intimate and Live (DVD)
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible Princess Live, 15 Jun. 2016
I own all of Kylie's live DVD and Blu-ray releases, but this is my favourite. I had it on VHS before I bought the DVD and I have the CD version too. Apart from the simplicity of the presentation, the Intimate and Live aspect, the main reason I like it so much is because the heart of the concert is the Impossible Princess album - which is my all time favourite Kylie album - and the eponymous 1994 album. That is, the Deconstruction era releases. The live version of I Should Be So Lucky is sublime.

If you enjoy watching Kylie perform live, you need to add this to your collection. Also, the quality is superb for its age (on an HD screen with an up-scaling Blu-Ray player). If it were available on Blu-Ray, I would buy that too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6