Profile for Shaggy > Reviews

J: A Novel
J: A Novel
by Howard Jacobson

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm very happy to read an 'intellectual' book, 11 Jan. 2016
This review is from: J: A Novel (Paperback)
Jacobson is clearly an intellectual, and his prose is clever and literary. However, I just couldn't get to grips with this as entertainment - I didn't engage with any characters, and had to speed read the second half. I'm very happy to read an 'intellectual' book, but this seems to be trying way too hard and tedium results. The clear 'borrowing' of many of the concepts from both 1984 (dystopian future), and Animal Farm (the wiping of history from public memory), bugged me. Orwell just did it better I'm afraid.

Rocky Horror Picture Show Mouse Mat. Cult Horror Movie Film Poster Mouse Pad
Rocky Horror Picture Show Mouse Mat. Cult Horror Movie Film Poster Mouse Pad
Offered by Funkyzilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Jan. 2016
Great quality product.

10" New Pinocchio Toy Figure Doll Wood Italy Articulate Puppet
10" New Pinocchio Toy Figure Doll Wood Italy Articulate Puppet

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Jan. 2016
Lovely item - good quality and very fairly priced. Love this little chap!

Garnier Body Hydralock Lotion 400ml
Garnier Body Hydralock Lotion 400ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Vaseline's old Moisture Lock cream, 24 Nov. 2015
Since Vaseline Intensive Care stopped doing their moisture lock, I've defected to this body lotion - sorry Vaseline - your new cream is thick, doesn't sink in, and is impossible to get to the bottom of the bottle, so a waste of money. This cream is BRILLIANT for dry skin, and even helps my eczema. Great value and I will be sticking to it. I can't recommend it enough. Your skin will never feel dry again!

Skios
Skios
by Michael Frayn

2.0 out of 5 stars The ending is so bad, it negates the rest of the book., 19 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Skios (Paperback)
I bought this because I've seen some of Frayn's farces in the theatre and thoroughly enjoyed them. As a farce I think the book works relatively well, and if you want a holiday read, this is about the right level. It's literature 'lite'. I wasn't engrossed, but it just about kept my interest up. However - and this is a big however - the ending is DREADFUL. It's a total cop out. In fact I found it quite distasteful. I totally agree with another reviewer who said it seemed that Frayn just gave up. Having tried to weave a comedy of errors of a plot, the end is almost as if it belongs to another book - there is zero comedy. For that reason, sadly, I wouldn't bother reading this.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars They have totally stopped any mould and condensation I used to get in my flat - brilliant product, fairly priced, 1 July 2015
Give these time - they don't show the water they're collecting until a few weeks have passed. They have totally stopped any mould and condensation I used to get in my flat - brilliant product, fairly priced.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Discontinued - try Garnier Hydra Lock instead, 12 Jun. 2015
I agree with other comments - the new formula is AWFUL and I have defected to Garnier - if you are missing the old Moisture Lock from Vaseline - do not despair - buy GARNIER'S HYDRA LOCK - it is brilliant and contains urea like the old moisture lock. Sorry Vaseline - you have lost my custom - your new cream is hideous and cannot be squeezed from the tube. Who did you pay to make that decision? Bad choice. Listen to your customers or you will lose them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2015 3:26 PM BST

Nelsons Spatone 100% Natural Iron Supplement--28 Sachets (Packaging May Vary)
Nelsons Spatone 100% Natural Iron Supplement--28 Sachets (Packaging May Vary)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent iron supplement, 11 Sept. 2013
If you have low iron these sachets are great - absolutely no side effects, can take them on the move and don't buy the flavoured ones - these taste fine - just metallic tasting water. I don't feel tired any more, and if you buy them in bulk they are very cost effective. I can't praise them enough.

When God was a Rabbit
When God was a Rabbit
by Sarah Winman

1.0 out of 5 stars Author needs to re-read her dictionary, 15 April 2013
This review is from: When God was a Rabbit (Paperback)
I fell for the hype too with this one, but was hugely disappointed on many counts. The main issue for me was I didn't feel a single character was fully-rounded. The plot was all over the place. No thread was finished off, and like another reviewer I found two thirds of the way in that I quite frankly didn't give a damn about a single character, so I read the last page and put it in the charity bag. In terms of entertainment this book just didn't cut it. And I'm sorry to say to the author but I felt the writing was bad. Too many pointless similes, lack of style and frankly, uneducated. Misuse of words is rife in this book, which to me is simply unacceptable Surety is a legal/financial term - the author used it several times to mean 'sureness'. Purposefully and purposely are two different words - check the dictionary! Simple errors like this which have made it past the author, the editor and the proofreaders just goes to justify my belief that the English language in all its beauty and subtlety is being murdered - not least by publishing houses. This book reads like a first draft. Having said all this, lots of people love this book, so maybe I'm missing something..............

Thoroughly Modern Millie [DVD]
Thoroughly Modern Millie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars First class vintage film, 3 Jan. 2013
If you are a musical lover you can't fail to enjoy this film. Great story (quite unusual if you consider some musicals!), great cast and memorable song and dance routines. Can't praise it enough.

Page: 1 | 2