Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for lutonlass > Reviews

Content by lutonlass

lutonlass

The Perfect Bridesmaid: The wedding trials of Georgie Dove
The Perfect Bridesmaid: The wedding trials of Georgie Dove

5.0 out of 5 stars a light hearted romp, 29 Sept. 2016
A friend recommended this knowing I am mid way between two weddings. My daughter got married earlier this year and my son is planning for next year.
A light hearted romp focusing on the trials and tribulations of wedding planning from the perspective of the loveable chief bridesmaid who has a few adventures of her own along the way.
A humourous, entertaining read perfect for snuggling up on the sofa with a large bar of chocolate.

Behind Closed Doors: The gripping psychological thriller everyone is raving about

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money on this tosh., 7 Mar. 2016
The worst book I have read this year, complete and utter lazy tosh. SPOILER ALERT. The basic premise is that if our lovely heroine doesnt do exactly what her new husband wants her to do (remain a prisoner in tiny bedroom in her own home, only being allowed out to maintain an illusion of a perfect marriage) he will put her much loved downs syndrome sister in an "asylum". If she does do what he wants he will bring her from her boarding school to their home, imprison her in the red room and torture her till she dies in fear and agony.
Because she loves her so much she goes for behaving well so she can be bought home and tortured...............
I could write a book critiquing the awfulness of this but will stick to the worst.
1. We dont have asylums anymore, even when we did they didnt involve anything worse than being tortured to death so why, why, why pick that option
2. Why would a woman who is supposed to be spirited, independent and in her 30s allow herself to be completely subjugated from the day avter her wedding
3. There were umpteen opportunities to raise the alarm with little risk beyond embarassment
4. Who was doing all the housework and gardening to maintain the facade of perfection whilst she was shut in her bedroom 24/7. Several descriptions of how amazing it all was and they had guests?
5. If she was imprisioned in the box room how come it had an en suite, for some reason that really narked me!
6. A healthy male adult in a normally heated room would not die of dehydration in 4 days.
I would go on but am starting to sound as boring as the book.
Please dont waste your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2016 3:38 PM GMT

The Book of You
The Book of You

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 8 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Book of You (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book and read in a day (always a good sign). The vulnerability of the heroine was really well portrayed. I would have given 5 stars except for a couple of things. I thought the descriptions of the magazine delivered (trying not to give plot details away) were a bit gratuitous, they didnt have to be that specific, we got that she was scared and repulsed, we didnt need it ramming home. I also found the climatic chapter (not the last chapter, this will make sense if you read the book) a bit drawn out and not as well written as the rest of the book. I understood the reasons from first to third person writing but dont think it added anything and may even have detracted.
But overall an enthralling read which I would recommend.

No Kiss Goodbye: The debut psychological thriller leaving readers emotional.
No Kiss Goodbye: The debut psychological thriller leaving readers emotional.

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute drivel, 5 Oct. 2015
do not waste your money on this badly written nonsensical rubbish. the reviewers who say they read it twice must have a lot of time on their hands. a couple of questions. where did bobby come from? was this book edited?

Unravelling Oliver
Unravelling Oliver

3.0 out of 5 stars promised more than deliverex, 4 May 2015
Started well but became a bit predictable.

Big Little Lies
Big Little Lies

4.0 out of 5 stars engrossing read, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Big Little Lies (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this, I dont like reviews which summarise the story as it spolis it for others. Suffice to say that even though some of the characters are a bit exaggerated the are still realistic and believable and you care about them.
I loved the relationships between the characters and how you were slowly drawn into realising what is going on.

Nearest Thing to Crazy
Nearest Thing to Crazy
by Elizabeth Forbes

2.0 out of 5 stars easy beach read but you will see the twists coming a mile off., 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Nearest Thing to Crazy (Paperback)
A very easy but not great read. Very predictable, I felt as if I was being treated as a bit of an idiot. From the authors explanation of the plot and writing style you would have expected a subtle read but this couldnt have been more blatantly signposted if it had tried.
There was mention of a homage to Rebecca, well I dont think Daphne du Maurier would be flattered by the comparision.

Letting go of Emma
Letting go of Emma

1.0 out of 5 stars utter tosh..., 26 May 2014
I presume this was self published, otherwise whoever edited needs sacking.
The story line meandered all over the place. A lot of the strands seemed pointless as well as unbelievable. I dont want to be harsh as it must take a lot to write a book but it felt a bit like a story you would write at school (but longer!). There was no discipline, it was a bit I thought of that lets put it in even if it doesn't make sense.

The "paid for " adoption - no come back, the dropped baby - no come back, the murder of the killer no come back, and not just no come back everyone seems quite happy to talk about their crimes!

Readers deserve better.

Snapper Rock
Snapper Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastical adventure for the 21st century, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Snapper Rock (Kindle Edition)
Initially I thought this was going to be a "Famous Five" style adventure (albeit there are only four children) as the 4 children find themselves shipwrecked. However they find themselves in a fantastical, parallel, multi-coloured world peopled with downtrodden but kindly natives, talking guinea pigs, ear eating gulls and the fearsome Fire King, (and some very peculiar food choices, sardine and pineapple soup anyone?).I don't want to give too much away,but after some nail biting, edge of seat adventures good triumphs over evil.
I bought this for my sons kindle but would recommend as as a stocking filler, my nieces will be finding it in theirs.

The Holiday Home
The Holiday Home

1.0 out of 5 stars what a let down, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Holiday Home (Kindle Edition)
Was I reading a different book to everyone else? I cannot believe this would have found a publisher if not by a celebrity. The plot was facile, predictable and lazy. The characterisation one dimensional and the so called twists signposted a mile away. I think you can guess it wasn't for me......