Profile for Jonquin > Reviews

Jonquin (Hampshire, England)

Karl Jenkins: The Healer - A Cantata For St Luke
Karl Jenkins: The Healer - A Cantata For St Luke

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing music to calm the soul, 15 Feb. 2016
This is yet another beautiful record from the wonderful Sir Karl Jenkins. I have all of Karl's albums and this one is well up to his usual high standard. The choir sings superbly and special mention should be made of the lovely solo oboe work throughout the recording. My own personal favourite tracks are Sozo and The Shepherd, but every track is gorgeous. I would also recommend his recently-published autobiography "Still With The Music".

The Spyglass & The Herringbone
The Spyglass & The Herringbone

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful album, 29 April 2015
This is another beautiful album from Jackie who, to my mind, has the loveliest voice in the whole of folk music. I have followed Jackie's career from the start and have seen her in concert 10 times. This album is well up to her incredibly high standard and is rather more upbeat than her previous offerings. So far my favourite track is The Yellow Bittern, but every track is a gem. Buy with complete confidence - and then buy all her other albums (including the lovely albums she has contributed to for Lush). Can't wait to see her again in concert next month in Winchester.

Mike Oldfield - A Life Dedicated to Music
Mike Oldfield - A Life Dedicated to Music
by Chris Dewey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent biography, 30 April 2014
I have been an avid Mike Oldfield fan since Tubular Bells and this book certainly fills a gap. Mike's autobiography "Changeling" was a great read and tells us a lot about Mike the man, but this book gives a much more thorough overview of his music. The two books are perfect companions. I have all of Mike's albums and have followed his career closely, but I still discovered a few albums by other artists that had guested on.
Chris is clearly a huge fan with a knowledge which is second to none. I heartily recommend this as a great read.

Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013). A Journey Through Paul McCartney's Songs After The Beatles.
by Luca Perasi

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure, 3 Mar. 2014
This is an excellent book. It covers the whole of Paul's remarkable post-Beatles career. It gives full details of every song recorded by Paul (solo, Wings, The Fireman etc) with dates, musicians, different versions etc. i am a huge fan of all The Beatles - individually and collectively - and have over 200 books about them. I would place this very high on the rankng list and it is certainly unique in its coverage of Paul's career. It is translated from Italian and this is occasionally a little clumsy, but in no way detracts from the excellent factual content contained within this superb book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 1:43 PM GMT

Man On The Rocks
Man On The Rocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing album!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
Most people will associate Mike with Tubular Bells, but he is so much more than this! I have been a fan since the start and he has consistently produced wonderful music. There has been a six year wait since his last album; the superb Music of the Spheres, but I can honestly say that the wait has been worthwhile. This is a fantastic completely song-based album, which is unusual for Mike. The vocalist is the exceptional Luke Spiller and lyrically this is a very deep and emotional record. Every song is a gem, but, if I have to pick favourites, they would be Moonshine, Sailing, Dreaming in the Wind and I Give Myself Away. If you buy the Deluxe version you also get the songs in their instrumental versions which certainly stand by themselves as excellent tunes with Mike's superb guitar featuring prominently. I simply cannot rate this album too highly - buy it with confidence!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2014 11:50 PM GMT

Through all those years(The Lost Tapes) Japanese CD.
Through all those years(The Lost Tapes) Japanese CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing find!, 25 Oct. 2012
I am a huge George fan and have everything of his that has been released in the UK. There have always been a few tracks such as 'Sat Singing' that were only ever available on a hugely expensive limited edition CD, which I could not afford. Now they are here together with other tracks like 'Lay His Head' and 'Miss O'Dell' which I only have on vinyl. This is a superb set and the quality is really good. There are lots of really good songs here that any George fan would be pleased to own. One of my best purchases!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 6:30 PM BST

Don't Stop Singing
Don't Stop Singing

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Don't Stop Singing (Audio CD)
This album is just wonderful! I have always been a huge Sandy Denny fan and was lucky enough to see her in concert. When I first heard about this album, I have to confess that I was sceptical. However, I need not have worried! Sandy's lyrics are, of course, beautiful and Thea has done a sensational job in setting them to music. Every track is a gem - if I had to pick favourites they would be Frozen Time and Goodnight, but there is not a dud track here. This is the closest we can possibly get to a new Sandy album and Thea is to be hugely congratulated. This is definitely an album of the year! I promise you will not be disappointed.

Summer Song
Summer Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful summery song, 29 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Summer Song (MP3 Download)
Leddra has done it again! This a beautiful new version of a track from Telling Tales, her wonderful album. A perfect soundtrack for the Summer! PS If you ever get the chance to see her live take it. She is brilliant and has such a lovely bubbly personality.

Nine Witch Knots
Nine Witch Knots

5.0 out of 5 stars Folk album of the year?, 7 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Nine Witch Knots (Audio CD)
This is a stunning album. Emily Portman (who you may know from The Devil's Interval) has a lovely voice - quite like the wonderful Jackie Oates. The tracks are very varied and the accompaniments are superb. For me the standout tracks are 'Golden Ball' and 'Willie's Lady', but their isn't a dud track at all. This is definitely a contender for folk album of the year.

The Beatles - Archival Treasures -1964-1971 [2007] [DVD]
The Beatles - Archival Treasures -1964-1971 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Beatles
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish!, 27 Jan. 2009
I am a huge Beatles fan and have purchased loads of really good books, DVDs etc from Amazon. I bought this thinking it looked interesting, but, as other reviewers have said, it is a huge let down. I can't believe that anyone - even avid collectors like me - would want this. The description is really misleading and I am amazed it got through Amazon's quality control.