Profile for Davey > Reviews

I Want To See Pulaski At Night
I Want To See Pulaski At Night
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine album but buy with care., 26 April 2014
This is a wonderful album but will (unfortunately) only appeal to a minority. All but one of the tracks are instrumentals of the most delicate kind. I don't know anything about music theory but it seems to me there is a sense of an oriental influence, and some of the tracks wouldn't be out of place as a soundtrack for a documentary on China, Japan or Tibet. This iis also a difficult album to classify - it at times feels more like classical music than indie pop. Then again I did say I don't know much about music theory. Anyway I love it so 5 stars from me!

From The Sea To The Land Beyond
From The Sea To The Land Beyond

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty!, 4 Dec. 2013
Recipe:
Fill a pan to brim with jingly jangly melancholy.
Gently add orchestral ambition and pounding drums.
Stir in sounds of foghorns, waves and seagulls.
Season very sparingly with vocals.

Not to everyone's taste but I like it!

Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - Silver
Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars It's surreal!, 1 Dec. 2013
I've listened to all sorts of music on this from electronic and rock through to folk and classical. I still find myself slightly bemused that such astonishing sound could come from such a small unit - and it is incredibly small. I saw all the advertising pictures but was still surprised by the miniscule size when I opened the box. Pairing it is a cinch. If you're swithering take the plunge - you won't regret it.

7dayshop Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Audio Receiver - BLUETOOTH ENABLE YOUR HI-FI, SPEAKER DOCK OR CAR STEREO!
Offered by 7dayshop Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item., 1 Dec. 2013
I wanted a bluetooth adapter for my Bose Wave system so I could stream music from my phone. Bose are charging an eye watering £129 for one. This is a great alternative. Easy to pair and no break up of sound in the same room. Would recommend this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 11:14 AM BST

Kinivo BTD-300 Bluetooth 3.0 USB adapter - For Windows 8/ Windows 7/Vista, Mac OS 10.3.9 or Later
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth at last!, 30 Nov. 2013
Bought a very cheap USB bluetooth adapter on Ebay and after much frustration and failed attempts to get it running threw it in the bin and ordered this. I can now connect my laptop to my Bose Soundlink mini---hooray! Wasn't completely trouble free though, hence the 4 stars. I couldn't install the drivers from the supplied mini CD as I have a slot drive on my computer. However they have kindly provided a link to Broadcom to update the drivers online. I downloaded the software but couldn't get it to install. At first the software didn't recognise the adapter. I cured this by uninstalling Nokia suite, but then I could not get the software failed at the validate step. Looking online this is not an uncommon problem with the Broadcom software. However Windows 7 at some point downwloaded some drivers when I plugged in the adapter. I tried connecting to the Soundlink and it worked. All in all - recommended.

Bose ® QuietComfort ® 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones
Bose ® QuietComfort ® 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Think noise reduction - not noise cancelling........, 16 July 2013
....and you'll have a much better idea what these headphones do. In fact although the cover of the manual calls them noise cancelling headphones, inside the manual it refers to noise reduction. Bose also seem to aim them at travellers and frequent flyers, in my opinion it would have been much better to call them commuter headphones. Here's the detail.
Noise cancellation/reduction: Very good. I bought them because I walk to work every morning beside a busy road and the traffic noise was drowning out the sound of the quiet passages of music. These headphones make the cars sound like a gentle swoosh - the noise certainly isn't cancelled but it increases listening pleasure immensely. Just don't expect to be isolated in your own little sonic bubble.
Sound quality: Good, a jack of all trades. Some albums definitely sound better than others, but I think a lot of this is down to production and mixing. Prefer them to my son's Beats solo.
Build quality: Some reviews are critical but seem OK to me, but time I suppose will tell. I always put them in the case after use.
Ear pieces: There are complaints that the ear pieces make your ears overly hot. They do get quite warm in summer but on the flip side this will be a boon in winter, a bit like electronic ear muffs!
Price: Worth three hundred pounds? Probably not, but if you can wait the price will come down at some point. I waited for ages and the price on Amazon dropped from £299 to £239 and back to £294 in a matter of days, so be patient because worth £240...probably. One word of advice, after doing some research there do appear to be lots of fakes around so buy carefully.

The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but gritty., 10 Feb. 2013
After reading some of the reviews I was expecting an out and out comedy. It would be fairer to describe it as funny/humourous in places. Be warned it has a high F-word count (we didn't realise that when we started watching and still had the kids up!), and some violent scenes. That said it is a great film with an uplifting finish. You may want to have a bottle of whiskey in the house because it may tempt you to have a wee dram afterwards!

ICEPLANE Twin Bladed Car Ice Scraper
ICEPLANE Twin Bladed Car Ice Scraper

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloomin' marvellous!, 13 Dec. 2012
Can't believe I'm writing a review for an ice scraper but it really is a nifty little gizmo. It was -6 today and it cleared the windscreen with very little effort. It was so good I've actually ordered 2 more to give to my friends to try. Merry Christmas and happy scraping!

Garmin nuvi 2545LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not quite great, 11 April 2012
I bought this as an upgrade for my Garmin 200W which I loved. I live in the North of Scotland and use my Sat Nav mainly for holidays. I wanted something with junction view and lane guidance because when you don't drive regularly on motorways some junctions can be quite daunting. Also I wanted the unlimited map updates because a real downsides in buying a Sat Nav is paying to keep the maps current. I've just returned from a trip to Glasgow so I've had a chance to try the various features so here's the review.
Firstly this unit DOES NOT have bluetooth or voice control. It does have a 5 inch screen, unlimited map updates, unlimited traffic, photoreal junction views, lane guidance, spoken street names and speed camera locations.
I had no problems updating the maps using the Garmin Lifetime Updater. The maps downloaded and installed reasonably quickly and with no problems. However the maps are still slightly out of date. The new Glasgow M74 motorway extension is still not included. This is where unlimited map updates are great, because I was keen to have this stretch of road included on the unit and I'd have been annoyed if I'd have to pay for this update at some point.
I have encountered problems updating the unit software using the Garmin Dashboard. Although I followed the instructions and I think the software updated, whenever I connect the unit the unit it flags the software as not being the most up to date version, but when I try updating again the same message still appears. I've had a look on the Garmin forums and I think this may be an issue with some series of units. The unit seems to operate regardless so it's not really an issue.
The 5 inch screen is clear, although in sunny conditions I did have to crank up the brightness. I did find the photoreal junctions useful, but slightly difficult to make out sometimes even with the larger screen as it appears as a split view with the map. I would have liked the option to choose whether photoreal real junctions appears as full screen, rather than having split screen as a default. The unit also re-routes very quickly, and I had no problems with the routes selected. The Points of Interest such as nearby Petrol Stations and Parking work really well and are a huge improvement on my previous unit. The spoken street names also work surprisingly well although it would be too much to expect it to get every name spot on.
I discovered the traffic information is only going to work when I am near the motorway network, and will not work locally. I seemed to work fine in Glasgow telling me about busy conditions on the motorway I was on. I did not have the opportunity to see if it would divert me round standstill traffic.
I was not sure if the unit had traffic cameras included when I bought it as this is not mentioned on the Amazon or Garmin websites. I tried to download a trial version of Cyclops speed cameras from the Garmin website but it would not install. I believe this is because the trial version was already installed. A one-off update costs £4.99, and a years updates for the cameras cost £14.99 from the Garmin website. I'll probably do a one-time update once a year.
I had one problem with the unit when I was trying it. I could not get it to switch on one morning, and had to do a reset by holding the power button down for 10 sconds or so. This was a minor irritation and may have been because the day before I had been messing about with the settings when my wife was in the supermarket!
All in all this is a good unit and a big improvement on my older Garmin. I would have given it 5 stars if I had not had the issue updating the unit software. There are a couple of minor niggles (only split screen photoreal junctions, and one freeze), but reading all the reviews for Tom Tom and Garmin units there is no such thing as a perfect Sat Nav. If you are looking for a Sat Nav you could do much worse, and the unlimited maps are a great inclusion.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 8:51 AM GMT

The Dead of Winter
The Dead of Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 8 Mar. 2012
I've read quite a few victorian novelists. I think Chris Priestly has captured the period very well indeed. It's a good traditional ghost story and none the worse for that. It doesn't take long to read, so if you're looking for a filler between long books it's ideal. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2