Profile for Jonathan > Reviews

Nanny Baby Breathing/ Respiration Monitor
Nanny Baby Breathing/ Respiration Monitor
Offered by BabySecurity

5.0 out of 5 stars Worry-saver and paranoia-destroyer!, 10 Mar. 2016
When we were preparing everything for the birth of our son, a respiration monitor was high on the list of musts. We bought Nanny but subsequently went to a parenting day where the midwives seemed quite down on them, stating that it wasn’t good to be paranoid about such things. However, I am absolutely 100% positive that Nanny is the thing that has done away with paranoia. It was really easy to set up and is clearly incredibly sensitive. You can be looking in the cot/basket at your child and can barely sense their breathing sometimes, but the flashing green light gives you great confidence that you don’t have to worry. Before our son was born, I was fairly sure that I’d be paranoid about breathing/SIDS etc., but from the moment Nanny was installed, that paranoia was gone. It has allowed the house to be that much more relaxed. As with most people, you tend to accidentally test it every now and then, but again, that’s a great thing. My son is now 6 months old and the original battery is in there, still working after having been on every night and through most naps. I really don’t think you can go wrong with this product – it’s brought a great peace of mind to my wife and me. Worth its weight in gold.

ANY NAME TEXT IMAGE PICTURE LOGO Personalised Custom Baby Grow Vest bodysuit onesie
Offered by the T bird

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, good quality, 15 Dec. 2015
Like most people here, I was very pleased with the quality of the print and the speed of production. Could get very addictive!!

Sharples and Grant Clean & Tidy Don't Pee Here Deterrent Spray 500ml
Sharples and Grant Clean & Tidy Don't Pee Here Deterrent Spray 500ml
Offered by Livy Home UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the answer..., 14 Dec. 2014
Thought this might be the answer to our problem with our cat doing her 'number twos' on the landing carpet. Initially, it felt like it worked, but despite using precisely as directed, she was back doing her thing there within a few days. ("Clean the area where you are going to spray. Apply the spray twice daily to the affected area for the first week and then three times weekly. The initial unpleasant odour disappears in a few seconds to leave a long-lasting action where it is applied."). I've never actually smelt this unpleasant smell, so I wonder whether my cat can't either!! In fact, at one point, I wondered whether she was actually attracted to it!! One star for the few days' respite. Useless after then.

Samsung 2600 mAh 3.8 V Lithium-Ion Battery for Galaxy S4 i9500/i9505 (Non-Retail Packaging)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unlucky or just naive?, 30 Jun. 2014
Bought this as a 'take it with me, just in case' battery for my S4. Charged fully when received. It lasted a grand total of about 6 hours, doing very little. The battery I received states 'CELL MADE IN CHINA. ASSEMBLED IN CHINA'. The photo of the product states it's made in Korea, as does my original S4 battery. I guess it was worth a punt as some people appear to be happy enough. However, I haven't used it again and would demand my money back if I wasn't so lazy!

The Missionary Position
The Missionary Position
by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant...but be careful which one you buy, 2 Jan. 2014
As with all Hitchens' books, this is brilliantly put together. However, my reason for reviewing on this occasion is to 'warn' about the "Published in hardback and e-book in Great Britain in 2012 by Atlantic Books, an imprint of Atlantic Books Ltd." version (978-0-85789-838-8). The version I own (which I've lent out) is one of the original printings. However, this recent hardback version doesn't have any of the photographs that previously accompanied the text. Much of what is talked about in the book was originally illustrated with the actual photos - you're virtually asked to go and look at them! The only graphic in the book is a facsimile of MT's letter to Judge Lance Ito. The book itself is great, but I would recommend buying one of the older versions via Marketplace than lose out on the photographs.

The Death of WCW (Wrestlecrap)
The Death of WCW (Wrestlecrap)
by R.D. Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 19 April 2009
I was EXTREMELY wary about purchasing this book for the pure reason that it was co-written by someone who'd published a book of wrestling 'lists' called 'WrestleCrap' - it's exactly the sort of thing that would put me off big-time. However, having read some good reviews on Amazon, I stuck my neck out and am glad I did.

Not only does the book appear well-researched, it's humourous but measured and is incredibly detailed. I was also glad for it not to lay every bit of blame at Bischoff's feet - it was balanced and explained all of the necessary history/build-up of the events it was talking about.

I really enjoyed reading this book and will certainly read it again in the near future. A surprising gem.

O.J.Simpson Trials: Rhetoric, Media and the Law
O.J.Simpson Trials: Rhetoric, Media and the Law
by Janice Schuetz

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused and boring, 19 April 2009
I bought this book (at great expense) thinking that I'd treat myself to a scholarly look at the OJ trial. Having read most of the major players' books and having enjoyed the vast majority, I was looking around for more.

Within the first few pages of the Introduction (by Janice Schuetz) I was already scratching my head, confronted with sentences such as: "As the jury foreperson announced the verdict, "not guilty", women at the Battered Women's Center in L.A. screamed for joy, while at the same time other Americans challenged the verdict as an "outrage"".

Is it just me, or does that sentence seem rather unlikely? Battered women screaming for joy at O.J.'s release?

Also, blatant incorrect statements such as:

"The media also created villains in both the criminal and civil cases. Mark Fuhrman was the despicable racist cop who found the bloody glove at the murder scene." WRONG. Mark Fuhrman didn't find the glove at the murder scene at all - he found it at Simpson's place. (page 11)

"The media spectacle began with the nationally televised, low-speed chase of Simpons's white Bronco on June 17, 1993...". WRONG - it was Al Cowlings' Bronco, not Simpson's. (page 22)

"A controversial feature of the police investigation was that the LAPD entered the Simpson estate with a questionable search warrant, and then detective Fuhrman found a wet, bloody glove." WRONG - they didn't have a search warrant at that time - that's what the fuss was all about! (page 72)

As well as some completely misunderstood readings of the trial transcripts on page 63 (about Fuhrman disobeying some orders), other OJ-trial followers, and ones more alert than I, will doubtless find many other errors. These are just the ones that I picked up on at first glance, made mainly by Scheutz.

The price of this book was astronomical compared to many, but in no way do you get your money's-worth. Although Lilley, Gill, Burnett and Ganer's chapters are less error-ridden, none of them, to my mind, are particularly interesting or informative. It's one of those books that seems to be an inch of meaning to a mile of noise - incredibly frustrating. If you want a higher-brow/high-end book about the Simpson case, I'd recommend Darnell Hunt's book, O. J. Simpson Facts and Fictions: News Rituals in the Construction of Reality.

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy life-saver!, 1 Mar. 2009
I had trouble downloading a 3GB video from my Canon IXUS 960 IS Digital Camera - Titanium (12.1MP, 3.7x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD via a USB cable to my PC. Although it looked like it had transfered it, the resulting file on my computer was a useless 0KB one. Very frustrating!

However, having read a few forum messages, I decided that spending a few quid on one of these might be worth a shot... and it was! With no trouble at all, I just loaded the SD card into the stick, plugged it in and within a minute or two I was able to see the full 3GB+ file on my PC and do what I wanted with it.

If you're having similar issues, then this is really worth the shot as it worked for me with no problems at all.

Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling
Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling
by Heath McCoy

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book!, 18 Feb. 2008
I've read SO many wrestling books over the last few years, but I would have to say that 'Pain & Passion' is my absolute favourite. In fact, when I finished it, I very nearly started reading it all over again immediately.

The book is crammed full of anecdotes; fascinating, amusing and touching. It's put together chronologically but even at the outset, the historical parts are coloured and kept alive by quotations from the Hart family along with well-researched references from other texts.

McCoy's reporting always seems unbiased; something difficult to do when you consider how some members of the Hart family (and extended family) have acted after Owen, Stu and Helen's deaths.

All-in-all, it's a really fantastic read - it'd be great to have it as the blueprint for loads more books about wrestling (how about Memphis?!).

You cannot fail to like this book. Top notch!!