Profile for Muddlingthrough > Reviews

Content by Muddlingthrough

Muddlingthrough (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Big Book of Mazes (Usborne Mazes)
The Big Book of Mazes (Usborne Mazes)
by K. Blundell

3.0 out of 5 stars it's fine for my son, 25 April 2015
If it were as new as I was expecting, it would have got higher marks, but some of the mazes were done already (in pen). if you buy this one secondhand, worth checking carefully on receipt. However, it's fine for my son, as he just ignored the completed ones and did some of the others - where he could work out the maze. Some of them are a bit unclear about where the path can and can't go, so there's obviously a compromise between variety of maze and clarity of picture/maze. OK, but not great.

Other People's Love Letters: 150 Letters You Were Never Meant to See
Other People's Love Letters: 150 Letters You Were Never Meant to See
by Bill Shapiro

2.0 out of 5 stars A nice idea, but not recommended, 25 April 2015
Nope - too self-indulgent by far, and not that readable. Other people's relationships are never as interesting as they think... and alas this book is an example of that. A nice idea, but not recommended...

Learning Resources Primary Science Jumbo Test Tubes
Learning Resources Primary Science Jumbo Test Tubes
Offered by Just Childsplay

3.0 out of 5 stars they're really good, and I like the different coloured lids, 25 April 2015
I *SO* wish that these test tubes didn't have rounded bottoms so they'd stand up straight. Mind you, same could be said about me... apart from that, they're really good, and I like the different coloured lids. I have filled them with beads and hidden little toys inside as a game for my young son to help with observation and attention to detail. He just likes emptying the beads out, putting them back in again, emptying them out... and the test tubes are a great size and shape to hold (as long as you're ok having them in the holder all the time).

Kidorable Kids Knitted Gloves/Mittens (Pirate)
Kidorable Kids Knitted Gloves/Mittens (Pirate)
Offered by Hey Kids LLP

5.0 out of 5 stars though not terribly long from wrist to end of hand/beginning of fingers, 25 April 2015
Very cute, though not terribly long from wrist to end of hand/beginning of fingers, so doesn't keep the wrists very warm. Unfortunately my son doesn't like them quite as much as I do, but that's just sometimes the case - they are lovely and soft with very elasticated wrists and they are nice because they're cute but not all pink and purple/fairies and pixies!

SnS Online Kids Mens Boys Ladies Girls Unisex T-shirt Tee Top Cotton Geek T Shirt - Red - Youth (L) Kids 9-11 Years
Offered by eshop-4u

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 April 2015
Nice, well made, OK material and nice clear printing.

The Wacky Races Handbook: The Complete Guide to the Wackiest Race on Earth (Hanna Barbera)
by VARIOUS

5.0 out of 5 stars It's made to look like really old book and it's a good read and ..., 25 April 2015
Bought for my 7-y-o son, who is suddenly obsessed with Wacky Races. After him having avidly reading it for some weeks, I noticed that it says it's an adult book and not suitable for children. Oops! However, I've looked at it quite closely, and apart from some shockingly sexist guff about Penelope Pitstop (and that's kind of the point of Penelope Pitstop), I have failed to find anything debauched or debauching. I'm still looking though... in the meantime, it's an entertaining book, with "blueprints" of the vehicles, the results of every race, info on all the drivers, etc. It's made to look like really old book and it's a good read and well worth it for a fan, especially as there are very few books about on Wacky Races.

eFuture(TM) Novelty Blue New Diamond Style Piggy Bank Money Candy Box +eFuture's nice Keyring
Offered by eFuture.SR

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice money boxes, 9 Jan. 2014
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
We bought 2 of these, 1 blue and 1 red, for our son. He likes the CBeebies programme Swashbuckled so is fascinated by jewels - we thought these would be a good way to start encouraging him to save. They are fine, though it would have been nice if they had arrived packaged in anything at all - they just arrived shoved in a (slightly too small) jiffy bag each, so one arrived with a crack. However, I don't think I can be bothered returning it, not least as it took a month to arrive (fine, as I knew it would take a while). They aren't great quality, but are perfectly OK for the money, and both the blue and the red are actually nice colours. The slots are big enough to take any UK coin - and notes as well, though he won't be getting many of those!

Tobar Twist and Lock Blocks
Tobar Twist and Lock Blocks
Offered by The Online Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Oddly fascinating..., 12 May 2013
We bought several fiddle toys at the same time for a child on the autistic spectrum. This is by far the most popular: it's small, light, durable and seemingly fascinating. It can be kept in a pocket, and I have one in my bag in case we need it when we're out. School are on their second one, but the first one lasted over a term, and had heavy daily use, so that's pretty good!

We use it to teach 2, 3, 4 and 6 times tables by folding it in different ways (he's a maths geek!), and it's a good toy for a little boy to have - some of the fiddle toys are very feminine, which doesn't do it for him. Pieces don't come off (well, not until the elastic is completely trashed), so it can be played with anywhere, and being wood, it feels nicer than some of the plastic toys. The colours are bright and attractive without being garish.

We've got 4 of these stashed in various places, and when it gets down to about 2 left, we buy another few! Highly recommended.

Liam Goes Poo in the Toilet: A Story About Trouble with Toilet Training (Liam Says) (Liam Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand why it works, but it does!, 23 Feb. 2013
This book seems expensive for the few sparse pages and simple drawings - we were really unimpressed when it arrived - but I assure you, it is worth every single penny. Our son had mastered wees on the toilet but just couldn't "get" pooing there, and it was getting really depressing and frustrating for all concerned. We tried this book on the recommendation of his paediatrician, and it was nothing short of a miracle. 3 days after starting reading it he used the loo for the 1st time, 2 weeks after starting to read it he was completely toilet-trained and has never looked back.

I don't really understand what makes this book "work" where the other ones didn't for us and him, and I'm not sure I care. I just wish we'd tried this books 1st, and not bothered with the other 9 books (yes, really) we tried before we found this one.

Brainstorm Toys Animal Torch and Projector
Brainstorm Toys Animal Torch and Projector
Offered by a1 Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the poor quality photos and fiddly operation, 3 Jan. 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Hmmmm. The photos are poor quality and seem to have been taken in the 1970s - they have a very dated look to them and are coloured a bit oddly. They're not terribly clear either, and it's hard to get them properly focussed, as the focus moves very freely so you think it's focussed then you move the torch and it's out of focus again. It's also fiddly to hold open the right bit of the torch to insert the disk the right way up. It's taken a while to patiently show my 5-y-o how to wedge the torch against his chest to be able to open the slot and put the disk in - with little hands it's very tricky!

The torch itself is very cheap plastic and the on/off switch is hard for little fingers to manipulate.

The inclusion of a holder of some kind of the 3 disks would be welcome, as they pick up dust and dirt very easily and then are even worse to look at and very hard to clean. Doesn't need to be pricey, just anything that works.

As a cheap stocking-filler, this is fine. It has been played with quite a lot, and it's fine. But if I'd paid more than about a fiver for it I would feel ripped off. The disks will be lost within the month no matter how much I try to make sure they're put back somewhere sensible, and by then they'll be so scratched anyway it won't be worth looking for them...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6