Profile for Michael J. Wilson > Reviews

Content by Michael J. Wilson

Michael J. Wilson "mikeschnetler" (York, GB)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
COOKER HOOD GREASE & CARBON FILTER
COOKER HOOD GREASE & CARBON FILTER
Offered by QUAILITAS LIMITED

3.0 out of 5 stars Clean exhaust?, 3 Feb. 2016
What can one say? Speedy delivery, it was cut to size, fitted & appears to work. The previous filter was a greasy awful mess, so these really do the job. We only change ours every Sheffield flood. So it does what it says on the tin!

WD 2TB  My Book AV  DVR Expander External Hard Drive - USB 2.0 - WDBGLG0020HBK-EESN
WD 2TB My Book AV DVR Expander External Hard Drive - USB 2.0 - WDBGLG0020HBK-EESN
Offered by Kikatek

3.0 out of 5 stars Round peg in a square hole!, 25 Jan. 2016
This beautiful little unit was chosen as a TV recorder, hoping it would work on my new Blaupunkt 50 inch HD TV. (Not a 'smart' model but internet connected with XBox etc). I had noticed this make was not one of the several compatible makes quoted on the sales information, but took the chance. It was recognised as a "usb device" fitted, but nothing more. The WD help line (freephone) was efficient but could only suggest updating the TV software. The other TV, a Technika (3 years old) couldn't register it at all. As I didn't require any additional desktop back up drives for my AppleMacs, I sadly have to make a return. Therefore I can only give 3 stars. I daresay it deserves more.

VARTA battery CR1/3N (3,0V - 170mAh - Lithium)
VARTA battery CR1/3N (3,0V - 170mAh - Lithium)
Offered by dEcolectrix

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing mystery., 3 Jan. 2016
Surprisingly these were sourced from near Leipzig, arrived speedily & had an end date of 2025. Bizarrely, when fitted there was no signal. Upon testing, the power was down below 2 volts. So a return had to be made & the refund was implemented quickly. Inexplicable.

At The Balalaika
At The Balalaika

4.0 out of 5 stars Tauber scores again!, 3 Jan. 2016
This review is from: At The Balalaika (MP3 Download)
Pure nostalgia for me, reminding me of my youth when all we had was the radio & Nazi bombs! Parents of a schoolfriend had been in the cast of this musical & I still love it's elegance. Tauber remains for me the all time great.

Radflek Radiator Reflectors with Radstik (3 Sheets, 2 Adhesive Strips, Fits 3-6 Radiators)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far - so good!, 12 Dec. 2015
After long indecision I bought the larger size pack as we have a dozen radiators, some of which are over 2 metres long. Discount 1 hot towel rail on an inner wall & two other single leaf radiators on inside walls. That left 9 to deal with. I started down my 'learning curve' (I'm a time served mechanical engineer) by fitting the 2 small hall radiators on north facing but fairly protected walls. I then tackled the 3 long north facing wall radiators in lounge, bedroom & on upstairs hall. So far so good. The next candidates were the south facing bedroom wall - another 2 metre job, but with centre support bracket & then the south facing dining room. By this time supplies were looking somewhat short & the pile of offcuts was growing. It was now decision time between cobbling together enough to fix another radiator - but which one? This is where the argument commenced with the distaff side of the family - the little used 2nd bedroom south facing 2 metre long radiator, or the inside wall similar sized giant in the lounge. I settled for the latter, my reasoning being that as a couple we spend more time sitting in that room, than the occasional visitor using either of the spare bedrooms. I may now consider a smaller kit to fit in these other 2 bedrooms & the large radiator on an inside wall in our media/office with another north facing wall. Our cavity walls were foam filled, oh so many years ago & the latter room is panelled with a 25mm cavity behind. Our air-stat, controlling the boiler pump sits in the entrance hall, so if the lounge really gets hotter as a result of the Radflex, we can back it off a notch & save some energy. Only time will tell, so we'll monitor the situation carefully. From the actual fitting point of view, it seems important to maximise the gap between the foil & the radiator back, i.e. having the foil pressed as far against the wall as it will permit; which seems difficult, although if you roll the top wrap over towards the room interior, that helps, thus permitting the heat an easier escape route - to where you want it! The kit as received was adequate, although I eventually ran out of plastic clips & used a couple of wooden beading latts as additional top supports. I liked the tape supplied, which was ample. In conclusion, having been appalled by some adverts suggesting how easy it is to remove radiators to fit insulation behind. the Radflex seems a much better, easier, no brainer solution, Watch this space! Addendum: Xmas 2015: I have now re-ordered a small pack in order to complete the final three radiators, again over 2 metres long. In the meantime I considered that the official fitting guide means one only covers some 65% of each radiator, hence my medal goes to the buyer who reported fitting 'outriggers' at each end of the radiators, thereby increasing the reflective surface. Of course we are currently experiencing unusually warm December weather - even in Yorkshire, so I won't be able to judge the efficacy of the system for some time. Another reviewer has reported that one can only achieve a 4 pounds saving per rad. per annum. Well as we've 11 rads. it would mean I'd break even in some 18 months. I'll buy that! Meanwhile, the numerous offcuts of silver foil will be a challenge to our young grandsons to tape up into Xmas suits of armour! Now in May 2017 & I've plotted my winter heating gas & electricity usage for the last 6 years & calculated averages for the pre & post Radflek installation. After much head scratching I have concluded that the variable winter weather is the major influence. There appears to be a small (15%) gas saving, post installation, with a corresponding 4% drop in electricity consumption. Having said that, I need a further winter period to confirm or confuse!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2016 8:51 PM GMT

Heart Of Glass
Heart Of Glass

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old Blondie, 13 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Heart Of Glass (MP3 Download)
A lengthy, repetitive, all time classic - if that is your sort of thing. It does, for me & doubtless many others, have an attractive beat style to it. You love it or you hate it. I like it.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars but had a good root system which should thrive, 13 Aug. 2015
Early days, but it sits in the middle of my large sunken fern garden, surrounded by some 30 other specimen. Shady, damp, gravel with some loam soil. I hope it provides the centrepiece next year. It was pot bound, but had a good root system which should thrive.

The Supercar Book for Boys
The Supercar Book for Boys
by Martin Roach

4.0 out of 5 stars Big boys too!, 28 Jun. 2015
We chose this title for a grandson who at a tender age appears to know more about car marques than his car mad grandfather! Having perused the book, it seems ideal for purpose. It will no doubt be read, put to one side, then used as a future reference. The scope & selection seems good. The text is well written, the photographs excellent. No one title can cover everything, but this should satisfy & is well 'fit for purpose'.

Amazon Fire Mobile Phone IN-EAR Black STERIO EARPHONE HEADPHONE HANDSFREE WITH BUIT IN MICROPHONE MIC & ON / OFF BUTTON by Gadget Giant®
Offered by Gadget Giant

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome little stranger., 31 May 2015
Early days yet, but it seems a neat little gadget. It works - it is relatively unobtrusive. it is specifically for my new 'smartphone'. Time will tell as to durability . I shall monitor the cleaning issues carefully - my ears have a 'waxy' tendency.

Fahr Mich In Die Ferne
Fahr Mich In Die Ferne

4.0 out of 5 stars Hello sailor!, 10 May 2015
I wanted this song as sung sultrily by Liselotte Malkowsky, but without copying it from an old vinyl LP, this was a viable alternative. James Last of course gives it the big band treatment, rather than the smoky, dingy, dubious dockside tavern for pumped up sailors looking for cheap thrills! However, this one is pleasant with good rhythm & presentation, despite the double entendre. Your maiden aunt would not be offended. Recommended should this be your genre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20