Profile for Eugene > Reviews

Russell Hobbs 11521 1.7 L Capacity Jug Kettle in Stainless Steel, 3 kW
Russell Hobbs 11521 1.7 L Capacity Jug Kettle in Stainless Steel, 3 kW
Offered by Luzern

3.0 out of 5 stars As we love the design, 4 Jan. 2015
We've had one of these for years. After many years, the limescale filter material came loose so we removed it, together with the clip-on filter holder. Sadly, though, we could not find a replacement for the latter - only the filter itself can be replaced.

As we love the design, we decided to buy a replacement kettle. Sadly, however, the new one turned out to be leaking... very little, but just enough to leave a limescale residue around the base of the metal part. Given the hassle involved, we didn't return it but simply moved the filter to the old kettle which, after many years, is still working perfectly.

Eno ET 33U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner
Eno ET 33U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars it clips onto the instrument and makes it quick and easy for an absolute beginner to tune a guitar or ..., 4 Jan. 2015
Simply select the instrument you wish to tune, and the unit indicates the string number and whether you should increase and/or decrease the tone. Once you are close to the right frequency, it shows you exactly how much to increase and/or decrease, and when you hit the right spot, the color changes.

Not much larger than a matchbox, it clips onto the instrument and makes it quick and easy for an absolute beginner to tune a guitar or ukulele, without having to know which string is which even.

Yale Small Sized Electronic Home Safe with LCD screen
Yale Small Sized Electronic Home Safe with LCD screen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality safe from a name we trust, 4 Jan. 2015
Good quality safe from a name we trust. In addition to their "normal" use, we've bought one for each of our kids. It provides our kids with a safe place to store their "secret" things but, importantly, it provides parents with a back-up code to open the safe when needed - maybe to reset the kids' code once they have forgotten it, etc. Several friends who have seen them have decided, for that reason, to get ones as well. Batteries seems to last forever.

EasyAcc 20000mAh Dual USB Power Bank with Precise LCD Digital Display 8.4V DC Port External Battery Pack Charger for iPhone iPad Samsung Galaxy Sony DV ASUS Android Phones Smartphones Tablets PCs - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity, useful % capacity display, 4 Jan. 2015
We often rely on phones and/or tablets to keep the little ones occupied e.g. when lying at anchor in rainy weather or when visiting a sit-down restaurant. In such cases, the worst thing that can happen is for one of the kids' devices to run out of battery. Also, when travelling, we rely on our phones quite a lot and having this device means we don't have to go searching for a power socket, when power is running low.

We like this device, in particular, because:
- It has enough real-world capacity to re-charge several devices. Of course, the same could apply to other such products.
- The % capacity indicator is really, really useful. It appears to be accurate to the nearest 1% which is much more useful than a 4 or 5 bar display which, from past experience, only starts dropping when the device is close to empty. For me, this makes this specific product stand out above others by far.
- It seems to be well made, has a soft / premium feel to it.

There aren't any negatives, although the following may be considerations for you:
- It is relatively large i.e. too large for a shirt pocket, but fits comfortably in an inner jacket pocket. But, that is a consequence of having such a large capacity, so you cannot blame the product for that.
- It has only two outputs. Again, not a negative, but a third would make it even better.

Overall, I am happy that I decided to buy this model above other alternatives and would not hesitate to recommend it to others looking for a large capacity power bank as well.

Jeep 24 Inch Black/Burgundy Holdall
Jeep 24 Inch Black/Burgundy Holdall

1.0 out of 5 stars It looks like we overfilled it, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Jeep 24 Inch Holdall
We purchased two of these before going on holiday (the other one was green).

Unfortunately, this one arrived with a manufacturing issue - the lining wasn't properly stitched. We had 10cm or so re-stitched locally, with the retailer's consent.

The bag was then used as hand luggage our flight there and back. It was only 2/3 full given that we were flying Ryanair i.e. limited to 10kg only. During our holiday, the bag was not used.

On our return, we found that the dividers between the middle and side compartments have both torn loose - on both bags. It looks like we overfilled it, but as we were limited by weight and volume, we definitely did not. To me, it seems like a serious quality issue i.e. the material being too week and pulling out of the stitching in many places.

On the basis of this, I would not recommend this bag.

Anker 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Nokia and More (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, fast charging of multiple devices, 24 July 2014
I've owned tens of car / 240v chargers and use them regularly, and as a technical person, I am aware of the difference a charger and/or cable can make to how quickly a device gets charged (if at all).

My Anker 40W charger came with quality packaging and is made from a solid, high quality plastic - like that one expects from Belkin, Apple and Sony. Using battery diagnostic software, I can see that it charges my S3 at maximum speed while charging two Samsung tablets, a kindle and another Samsung phone at the same time.

I note that others have reported noise - I listened for noise, but could not hear any. More frustrating is the fact that one of the ports does not work. This seems to have been reported by at least one or two others as well. Considering around 400 good reviews, this may just be a quality control issue rather than a bad product and I am happily ordering a replacement as I have a good record with Anker and this product really saves a lot of time when charging multiple devices.

BW® New High Quality Flashlight T6 LED WF-501B 1000lm CREE XM-L 5 Mode for Camp/Hike/Fishing/Hunting/Bicycle Riding Sale
Offered by BW Corp

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few "cheaper" torches that is well made and performs very close to those 10x the price!, 28 Jun. 2014
I've bought around 15 or so "cheaper" LED torches, all supposed to be extremely bright with many hundreds of lumens, but this one is the ONLY one I found that comes close to my Klarus - which was almost exactly 10 times the price. Other things, like build quality, is good - like many others. It is nice and thin, easy to hold, unlike those that can work with 3 AAA batteries which do not appeal to me. I am going to buy a few more of these as they make cheap yet high quality gifts for family and friends. Also, as a boater, having an extremely bright SOS makes a nice add-on for the emergency grab bag.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 2:19 PM BST

10 x GU10 High Power 3w 48 SMD LED Warm White = 40-50w Halogen Bulbs
10 x GU10 High Power 3w 48 SMD LED Warm White = 40-50w Halogen Bulbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Stopped the never-ending bulb / 12v transformer replacements..., 29 Aug. 2011
We replaced about twelve 12v transformers and 35W/50W halogens in our kitchen with new GU10 holders and these LED bulbs.

Positives:
- We used to get one or two failures (bulb or transformer) every month or two. Now, we get none.
- These generate significant energy savings compared to 35 or 50W halogens.
- They look nice and add a modern touch

Negatives:
- There appear to be increasing concern about LED bulbs catching fire. Some retailers are starting to warn about this; there are scary videos on Youtube and some manufacturers have added fuses or protective circuitry to their bulbs. I do not recall seeing that these bulbs have such protection - of course, I may be wrong.
- Our kitchen has a "dark area" below the ceiling, between the lights. This is probably to do with the beam width / angle, but is more pronounced than before (even compared to 25W halogens). It took some time to get used to.

Overall, I am very happy as the positives make a big difference and I am now replacing more lights with these.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID - more issues than they tell you about!, 30 Jun. 2010
In addition to the issue they mention, here are some more serious ones:

- As you don't get battery time remaining your camera may lose power unexpectedly which causes CORRUPTION OF YOUR VIDEO DATA.
- You cannot charge it using the default charger because the battery connects into the charge socket, so the charger connects to...? Well, you guessed it. You are more likely than not to need another charger, so where's the savings?
- For recent cameras, you cannot clip the battery onto the camera without the camera shutting down because of an "unofficial battery". This is regardless of whether you connect the wire to the charge socket as per the instructions, or not. This is because the moment you clip the battery on, the camera recognises that you are using a non-Sony battery. The only way to work is for the battery to hang loose from the wire connected to the camera's charger socket. Do you want a battery hanging down on a wire?

0/10 for this battery. I suggest that you do not buy it. You have been warned!

Ex-Pro Pentax D-Li88, DLi88, DLI88, High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Pentax :- Optio H90, L70, P70, P80, W90, WS80
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement, 22 Jun. 2010
Apart from the writing on the battery, this is identical to the original. No issues whatsoever.

Page: 1 | 2