Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt (Lewes, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor for Apple and Android Devices
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor for Apple and Android Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, but also hugely practical and easy to use, 1 Feb. 2014
I've had the excellent WiFi Withings weight / body fat / air quality scales for sometime now and have been very pleased with them. They are sleek and elegant but are also very practical if you - like me - have bought into the 'big data' revolution and want immediate submission of your data into the 'cloud' for ongoing analysis.

I'd been holding back from buying the older wired blood pressure monitor from Withings as it shipped with the old iPhone adapter and I don't like using the fiddly adapter for the iPhone 5/5s for retro-fit. I also hoped they'd bring out a wireless version that is far more future proof and of course will work with non-apple products. So along come this brand new wireless version in Jan 2014 so I just had to try it!

As with all Withings products it is beautifully designed and put together. The gorgous packaging and fine materials of the device itself gives you a premium feel similar to that of opening an Apple product for the first time. In the box is the Withings wireless blood pressure reader, a back-up wired connector (very useful just in case the wireless fails or you don't want to use Bluetooth), a quick start manual and a more detailed manual. The 4x AAA batteries are pre-installed so the product is ready-to-go out of the box.

Set-up is a joy via Bluetooth and took literally just a couple of minutes with intuative step-by-step instructions on-screen through the Withings app on my iPhone 5. The Withings unit is seamlessly controlled via the app on the phone during use with no need to mess with any setting on the actual device after initially switching on. It turns off automatically after use.

One of the nice surprising new features is the "Auto" feature that you can set to automatically conduct 3x measurements in succession (with obviously a short gap in between for rest) with the average taken for even more accurate measurements just as my doctor asked me to do when using a manual traditional blood pressure monitor.

Other really nice features include:

- automatic time of day capture with each blood pressure reading that you can later analyse between am and pm readings and understand how your blood pressure changes throughout the day automatically via the dashboard in the app
- auto capture of your resting pulse
- real-time readings being sent to the app on the phone so you can see what's going on whilst the devise is working
- battery charge indicator through the app

For those geeks / power-users out there who want more, the best and most useful feature is of course the seamless ability to capture all the readings from the device which are then sent 'to the cloud' and shared with the other growing number of apps in the wellbeing/health eco-system that you give permission.

For me I use:

- Combination of Withings BP monitor & Scales for my weight, fat percentage, pulse-rate and blood pressure readings
- Jawbone UP for my activity tracking 24/7 and sleep tracking
- Sleepio for personalised CBT sleep training (which seamlessly integrates to Jambone UP)
- MyFitnessPal for food and drink tracking
- Run Keeper for fitness tracking
- The ability to easily send data through to your doctor and/or 3rd party as required via email
- and all the data from all the above automated & manual inputs analysed and reported by TicTrak

And what does all this data tell me? Well, that I am over-weight with high blood pressure who eats (and drinks) too much and spends an awful lot of time sitting around and not enough time exercising.

Sadly non of this wonderful technology replaces personal motivation, some personal discipline and lifestyle change. But SURELY there must be an app for that I hear you cry!?

In summary, the Withings wireless blood pressure monitor is highly recommended and a joy to use and own.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 9:06 PM GMT

SONOS PLAY:3 Smart Wireless Speaker, Black
SONOS PLAY:3 Smart Wireless Speaker, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Sonos Units and Counting ..., 25 Dec. 2013
I am a massive advocate of Sonos.

Amazing sound, beautiful design and simple to use and expand.

After an initial purchase of a single Play 5 I now have:

1x Bridge (connected via Powerline Ethernet to router)
2x Play 5s
4x Play 3s (in two stereo pairs)
1x Sub
1x iPhone cradle
Controlled by Sonos app on my iPhone(s) and iPad(s)

Multi year usage. Awesome reliability. Simple set up and expansion. Easy integration to 2TB external home media server with all my music on-tap and seamless integration with Spotify Premium.

Only thing that could improve Sonos to perfection is native app support (ie so you can control Sonos through Spotify app for example).

For multi-room multi unit arrangements such as mine the Sonos system gets expensive. But if you're into your multi-room music throughout the house and use Spotify regularly it is worth every penny.

Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - Silver (Discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Am in shock ... extraordinarily beautiful sound, 25 Dec. 2013
Set it up in about 20 seconds pairing Bluetooth to my iPhone 5 and then fired up Spotify. With realistic expectations of multiple 'portable' speaker sound quality over the years I pressed play ...

... I am literally speechless. The sound quality is so amazing I got up to check the beautiful rich sound that fills the room didn't come from my Sonos Play 5 which I'd placed it temporarily next to. Seriously, it is that good.

If you want extraordinary high fidelity sound quality that travels with you without unnecessary whizz-bang technical features you don't need then the Bose is for you. Yes it is expensive but my golly it is worth every penny. Don't hesitate, just buy it.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, good customer support, 12 Nov. 2011
Not tried the USB computer connectivity yet but unit works fine once fitted. Nice big LCD screen and surprisingly quick response to changing electricity demands (typically 1-2 seconds). Relatively easy set-up.

Only gripe is the lack of tiered tariff capability (which most electricity suppliers now insist on in the UK confuse consumers to the max) so you have to end up doing a quite complex calculations to get the right 'average' tariff data based on past usage and current pricing into the unit so it gives you accurate costs on the unit - rang their support line and got loads of really good help - also asked for help on email too just to make sure i'd fitted the sensor properly. Really impressive customer service - well done OWL!!!

Recommended.

Logitech Squeezebox Controller
Logitech Squeezebox Controller

2.0 out of 5 stars Only if you don't have another solution, 12 Sept. 2011
I've had this product for over three years - it works fine but the screen is quite small - so in comparison to an iPhone or iPad (I have both) with either Logitech's own app installed or iPeng - it leaves wanting.

Here's the summary:

1. If you don't have a mobile phone or tablet that can use either Logitech Squeezebox's (free) app or the excellent iPeng app then the Logitech Squeezebox Controller is for you. It is compatible with all Squeezebox products - I occasionally use it with both my Duet system (with four receivers) and my excellent Squeezebox Radio and it works fine
2. If you have a mobile or tablet such as iPhone and/or iPad save yourself the money and download the free app or buy the excellent iPeng app

The Times and Sunday Times
The Times and Sunday Times

2.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable "Alpha" version, but simply not ready for sale in current form, 31 Dec. 2010
Have subscribed to the 14 trial period and think it highly unlikely that I will continue the subscription. If it were a free "Alpha" version then I would give it four stars but as it is a paid-for version it is JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Here'e a comedy example of the amateurville approach adopted by Amazon/The Times: In the paper this week was an article on an award winning picture - the article waxed lyrical about the picture and its beauty - yet no picture!!! A total joke! There were pictures in other articles but they appear to be completely randomly chosen. Also there is often poorly formatted paragraphs and missing text.

Surely just appointing a "Kindle Editor" in The Times to ensure formatting was correct would make a world of difference (could just be an office junior or even someone offshore with timezone / cost advantage) - or even a "Kindle Editor" supplied by Amazon for all newspapers? The status quo is brand damaging to Kindle / Amazon. Get your act together chaps - this has SO MUCH potential but it just isn't good enough for the price being asked for £120 a year when there are so many free alternatives out there already.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Agonised over getting Kindle or iPad, 31 Dec. 2010
My wife and I purchased each other a Kindle 3G for Christmas - we absolutely love them.

I agonised over whether to take the plunge with the Kindle or wait for the next generation Apple iPad due in 1H 2011 - however three benefits persuaded me to go for the Kindle:

1. THE CLEAR SCREEN OPTIMISED FOR READING:
Although it is only greyscale it is very clear and very easy on the eyes. I have an iPhone 4 and read an entire book on it recently - with the backlit screen it ended up giving me a headache and eye strain. The Kindle screen is perfect for restful multi-hour reading and it really is like reading a paper based book (frankly even better actually!)

2. THE HUGE BOOK STORE:
Hugely expansive and reasonably priced - something there for everyone - like the 'whispersync' functionality and the worry-free knowledge that you know all your books are backed up on Amazon

3. BATTERY LIFE:
The battery life is excellent. I have the Kindle leather cover with light that runs off the Kindle battery and have used it for several hours a day with wireless on for over a week and still don't need to charge it (you don't get that kind of battery life from an iPad!!)

HOWEVER ... (hence the 4 stars rather than 5).
On the downside the experimental web browser is poor and the newspapers available are simply not formatted correctly on the Kindle (pathetic!) which will probably stop me from subscribing to a daily Kindle paper until they can get the quality sorted.

If you're a book worm and want the convenience of books available in seconds and no more books cluttering up your house the Kindle is for you. High recommended.

What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
by Alan Sugar

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, 31 Dec. 2010
I've just finished the whole book in a couple of days (Kindle edition) - I couldn't put it down (unusual for me as I get bored and distracted!). It's a history lesson, a business lesson, a politics lesson, a media lesson and a life lesson all in one.

I've never really followed Sugar's career and exploits that closely, don't support Spurs and don't watch The Apprentice regularly but I have to say I enjoyed this book immensely. Lord Sugar has been at the heart of things in business, entertainment and politics for over three decades and reading about the 'insider' view is fascinating. He doesn't pull any punches and, judging by the style in which this is written, you definitely get the feeling that Lord Sugar wrote this personally. I loved the detail he exposes on his business deals over the years - from the very first entrepreneurial exploits as a kid all the way to corporate takeovers and public floatations.

His focus and energy leaps off the page. He talks about his successes (a lot), his lessons learnt and his frustrations (a lot). It is actually laugh out loud funny in parts too. I did get a bit tired of his incessant 'everyone is an idiot except me and a few of my mates' sometimes but once I put this to one side I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended. Right up there (indeed possibly even better) with Richard Branson's autobiography.

BlackBerry Original 8900 Curve Skin Case in BLACK
BlackBerry Original 8900 Curve Skin Case in BLACK
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 9 Aug. 2010
Fits perfectly and protects the Blackberry nicely. Used it for over 6 months now. Great product highly recommended.

Canon PIXMA MP640 Network Ready Premium All-In-One Photo Printer
Canon PIXMA MP640 Network Ready Premium All-In-One Photo Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Printer for both Mac and PC, 8 Aug. 2010
Have been loyal to Canon for many years - for those of us that want high quality photo prints at home they are just brilliant. I have a top end digital SLR so am always looking for the highest quality prints.

I set this printer up for use on my iMac and two PCs over my home wireless network in an hour. Also works nicely with a work laptop with restrictive firewall on the wifi so connected directly via USB cable (not supplied).

Great look, compact, loads of features and awesome print quality. Works like a dream. Strongly recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4