Profile for M. Ross > Reviews

Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother: My Autobiography
Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother: My Autobiography
by Sue Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from start to finish, 11 Oct. 2011
This book is a must read,I couldn't put it down and in fact, I read it twice! I've enjoyed watching her in roles over the years such as Sheila Grant, Barbara Royle & Grace Foley and thought I might enjoy this book and I did, very much! She is a loving, caring woman who has had lead such an interesting life. I found it very touching in parts and very funny in other parts, after reading her very frank, honest and facinating book, I am now a life-long fan. A very caring and compassionate lady.

Not that Kinda Girl
Not that Kinda Girl
by Lisa Maxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointed, 10 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Not that Kinda Girl (Hardcover)
I was part of the way reading through this book and was getting the impression that Lisa was a rather shallow and self-absorbed person. I decided to read the book through to the end, hoping my opinion would change and I'd taken it on holiday to read on the beach. Having got to the end, I realised that my first impression was right. She had a very, very priviliged and loving upbringing but was ashamed of where she lived, her family and the unusual circumstances of her home life. I can't recall anything in particular that she did for others, just that she is a rather selfish woman. I read alot of autobiographies and pass them onto family and friends but the only place for this one was the bin in my hotel room.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2012 2:25 PM BST

Henry's Demons: Living with Schizophrenia, a Father and Son's Story
Henry's Demons: Living with Schizophrenia, a Father and Son's Story
by Patrick Cockburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - a must read., 15 Mar. 2011
Very honest, touching and straight from the heart. I bought this book after seeing Patrick Cockburn's interview on Breakfast some weeks ago and was intrigued by it. Having suffered from bouts of depression over the years, a keen interest in knowing more about mental health and also a friend who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia a couple of years back I felt complelled to buy it. The path that this illness has taken both Henry and his family on has been very painful, worrying, stressful yet heart rendering. It gives great insight from both sides of the coin and although the story has not ended, Henry has come a long way, thanks to the determination, love and strength of both him and his family. I truly wish them all well.