Profile for Emma > Reviews

Content by Emma

Emma "Hopscotch Extraordinaire" (Cardiff)

To Travels and Trunks
To Travels and Trunks

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute gem., 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: To Travels and Trunks (Audio CD)
Travels & Trunks is a deceptively unassuming album. I first downloaded it back in July of 2009 thanks to a recc from a friend who was gushing about a band she had heard when she was at a minor festival in the States. I downloaded Cigarettes to see what all the fuss was about, and from that moment I was hooked.

I keep rewriting this review as I keep descending into some embarrassingly flowery language, but that's what this album does to me! It's almost like poetry in its sincerity and beauty.

There aren't enough words available in the world for me to describe just how much I love this album. Listen to it as the sun is rising or setting.. it makes the symphony of accordion, viola, drums, trumpet acoustic guitars and Matt Bishop's vocal all the more poignant.

Try From A Terrace, Someone To Love and Cigarettes.

Immortal (Immortal Trilogy Book 1)
Immortal (Immortal Trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted., 18 Dec. 2010
I feel really awful for disliking this book so much. I read a lot of FanFiction and published work - anything I can get my hands on really - and if I'd have had read this story without knowing who penned it, I honestly would have thought it was some badly edited amateur work.

It really does pain me to say all of this, because I know how much passion and effort goes into writing. There are just so many grammar and spelling mistakes (their/they're, your/you're peppered throughout, beware grammar fans), and too many cringe-worthy clichés (the burning forest green of his eyes was an incredibly frequent description, as was the colour of everybody's lips) to be taken seriously. The plot kept me reading until the end, and I found myself warming to the characters, but reading this amongst all of the other great books I've read lately just left me completely cold and a little bit annoyed at myself for buying it.

I'd hate to end on a negative, so I will say that a good editor/proofreader would have probably made this book a hell of a lot better. I also liked the twist at the end.