Profile for J. Thompson > Reviews

Content by J. Thompson

J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I Can Hear Music
I Can Hear Music
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Not All Plain Surfing!, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: I Can Hear Music (Audio CD)
16 songs from Del Shannon, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Manfred Mann and many others has the hope of a very good album. The problems do not arise from re recordings, as these are all original hits, but the way they are thrown together with little thought given to the Surf theme and being spread too thinly from the late 1950s to the mid 1970s.
As least it's on the Disky Label, which has a very good reputation, but then on my copy The Beach Boys I Can Hear Music is missing the all important intro!

Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids
Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids

3.0 out of 5 stars UK TV Themes From The 60s and 70s., 15 Mar. 2015
The 1960s saw a revolution in children's TV programmes from Fireball XL5 to Jo 90 and the music was all part of the package.
Add themes from Tunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stringray, Aqua Marina and The Mysterons, then you have some great memories to enjoy.
However, for me, the remainder, although of a good standard, just don't keep my interest.
So it's 3 stars from me and the cover is really great!

If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars US Folk/Pop From 1966., 27 Feb. 2015
Musically the 1960s is very much a favourite of mine, often US artists more than UK ones. Bob Dylan, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Four Seasons and The Bobby Fuller Four to name just a few.
With the Mama's And Papa's I really like California Dreamin', Monday, Monday and to a lesser extent, I Call Your Name and In Crowd.
So overall it's 3 stars, but fans of their music shouldn't be put off by my rating, you are likely to want to listen from track 1 to 12 and enjoy it all.

My Generation
My Generation
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 Different Artists, One Mod CD To Enjoy., 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: My Generation (Audio CD)
In the mid 1960s a mixture Rock/Pop/Jazz sounds were produced in the UK and this CD, which you should be able to buy at an economic price, is a very good sampler.
Some songs like The Searchers' Needles And Pins and The Zombies' She's Not There are easy to find elsewhere, however some are less often heard. For example Pretty Things' Don't Bring Me Down, The Move's Night Of Fear and to top it all David McWilliams' The Days Of Pearly Spencer. It's a song which is hard to explain, it's just a total classic from 1967.
So for anyone who loves 1960s music,I recommend this very highly.

JUST LIKE ME TONY JACKSON GROUP
JUST LIKE ME TONY JACKSON GROUP
Offered by rbmbooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Tony Jackson's Post Searchers Recordings., 18 Feb. 2015
Tony Jackson was a founding member of The Searchers, who burst on to the Mersey Beat scene in 1963. However he left the group in 1964, or maybe he was eased out by for not entirely clear reasons.
Anyway he formed Tony Jackson Group which lasted until 1967.
These are the songs:
1. You're My Number One.
2. Just Like Me.
3.Walk That Walk.
4. Watch Your Step.
5. This Little Girl Of Mine.
6. Stage Door.
7. I/m The One She Really Thinks A Lot Of.
8.Let Me Know.
9. Follow Me.
10. He Was A Friend Of Mine.
11. Fortune Teller.
12. Understanding.
13. Come On And Stop.
14. Love Potion #9.
15. Never Leave Your Baby's Side.
16. You Beat Me To The Punch.
17. That's What I Want.
18. Bye Bye Baby.
19. Shake.
20. Anything Else You Want.
First thing to say reproduction standards are quite high, these are mono recordings.
Best track for me is the opener, You're My Number One, a real Searcher's sound.
Love Potion #9 is not as good as The Searchers version and He Was A Friend of Mine is not as strong as the Byrds version.
However for any Tony Jackson fan this is a good find, so there's no reason why this couldn't be a 4 or 5 star album.

Beach Baby: The Best of First Class
Beach Baby: The Best of First Class
Offered by rbmbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars First (1974) And Second (1976) Albums From The First Class., 15 Feb. 2015
In all musical eras artists have had one hit wonders and The First Class certainly had one with Beach Baby. It sounds as if only The Beach Boys could have recorded it, which is high praise indeed. However apart from Funny How Love Can Be and Wake Up America there's very little else to get excited about.
To be honest the follow up SST goes musically somewhat downhill.
All the same if you like the song Beach Baby and are curious about their other work, you could give this a try.

Downtown Tonight
Downtown Tonight

4.0 out of 5 stars They Shoot Horses Don't They, No Need To Call The RSPCA!, 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Downtown Tonight (Audio CD)
I love the very retro cover even though the album contents are not related to the US in the1930s/1940s.
The big hit from the mid 1970s, They Shoot Horses Don't They, is in a class of it's own, a slow ballad from the film of the same name.
The remainder have been compared with The Eagles and others of similar type and I agree with those comparisons.
There's no rubbish here, all the production standards are high, my favourite song apart from Horses is the title track, Downtown Tonight.
Well worth checking out of you like 1970s music.

Ultimate Byrds
Ultimate Byrds
Offered by soulsearchingplus

5.0 out of 5 stars The Byrds In A 4 CD Box Set, Very Highly Recommeded., 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ultimate Byrds (Audio CD)
With 90 tracks which are all original recordings and date from 1965 to 1990, this really is a wonderful box set of my favourite band of all time. Also the packaging and booklet maintain the highest possible standards.
On CD 4 are some notable tracks I have never heard before from the Roy Orbison 1998 tribute concert and more rarities from 1990. All are entirely essential to me, even though I also have the more recent box set, There Is A Season, which I think is also well worth having.
So if you love The Byrds and can find this at a good price, I don't think you go wrong!

Music From The Motion Picture Almost Famous
Music From The Motion Picture Almost Famous

4.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Film Soundtracks Around!, 7 Jan. 2015
The film may have passed me by, but the soundtrack has not.
I was looking for America by Simon And Garfunkel and noticed it on this compilation.
As far as I/m concerned It's up there with Bridge Over Troubled Water as their best ever recording and then Elton John's Tiny Dancer is another wonderful song.
With The Who, Yes, The Beach Boys, The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynrd, Led Zeppelin, Cat Stevens and Thunderclap Newman all providing less well known stuff, this is a very varied and interesting CD.

The History of Country Music: The Fifties, Vol. 1 (US Import)
The History of Country Music: The Fifties, Vol. 1 (US Import)
Offered by clubbrasil1

3.0 out of 5 stars Total 36 Songs On 2 CDs., 2 Jan. 2015
Although I was born in the mid 1950s, the vast majority of it's music feels many, many years before my time.
Anyway this 2 CD Fatbox set is all original artists/ recordings and considering some are 60+ years old, production standards are quite high.
Big names including Hank Snow, George Jones and Jim Reeves all feature, however my preferred tracks are:
CD 1:
Marty Robbins. Singing The Blues.
Carl Perkins. Blue Suede Shoes.
CD 2:
Johnny Cash. There You Go.
Hank Williams. Your Cheatin' Heart.
Giving 3 stars may sound a little mean, I would expect those who love 1950s Country Music could easily give 4 or 5, also you may be able to get this at a very economical price, so you can hear for yourself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20