Profile for J. Thompson > Reviews

Content by J. Thompson

J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Very Best of Marianne Faithfull
The Very Best of Marianne Faithfull

4.0 out of 5 stars As Tears Go By And 15 Others, Mostly From The 1960s., 12 July 2016
As Tears Go By is a great debut song from Marianne Faithfull and another top song is In My Time Of Sorrow.
Not all the remainder hit the highest standards, however the choice of material is interesting with What Have They Done To The Rain, The Last Thing On My Mind and Scarborough Fair to be enjoyed.
At the end of the day these all original recordings are just what I wanted and therefore 4 stars easily obtained.

The Singles
The Singles

4.0 out of 5 stars The Crying Game Is A Total 1960s Pop Hit., 12 July 2016
This review is from: The Singles (Audio CD)
Dave Berry will always be known for his 1964 hit, The Crying Game, which is a superb melodic guitar driven ballad and other songs are also enjoyable in the UK 60s pop genre.
The only other I had heard before is Little Things, but really there is no rubbish here at all, so if you want to go back to the time when UK Pop ruled the world, this is one place to start.
Reproduction sounds of these original recordings are good and the CD runs to 64 minutes.

We Must Believe in Magic/When I Dream
We Must Believe in Magic/When I Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Gayle At The Height Of Her Successful Career., 7 July 2016
Crystal Gayle came to the fore in the 1970s, she sings Country Music, but this is accessible to all listeners.
We Must Believe In Magic is 10 songs from 1977 and When I Dream is 12 songs from 1978 and, for me, there's no skipping bad songs as there aren't any.
You get Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue, We Must Believe In Magic, Why Have You Left The One You Left Me For? and all the rest which have quality written all over each song.
I recommend you try to get this at a realistic price, which I was able to do, mine is both albums on 1 CD on the Disky Label.

The Cream Of Clapton
The Cream Of Clapton
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Started Out In 1965 And Still Going Today!, 5 July 2016
This review is from: The Cream Of Clapton (Audio CD)
How many truly great artists from the 1960s still remain recording today?
Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, I think Van Morrison is still going, The Rolling Stones and Eric Clapton.
And you may know others.
Anyway this has great stuff from 1966 to 1981, including Bell Bottom Blues, which is not in the Crossroads 4 CD set.
You can't go wrong with Layla, Badge, White Room, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Wonderful Tonight, the list goes on, I say just buy it!

The 1978 Reunion Concert
The 1978 Reunion Concert

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Their Best Live Show, But It's Not A Total Nightmare., 4 July 2016
I know other reviewers have slated this CD and agree it has many faults, but I found there's still some stuff worth hearing.
Jolly Roger is a fine a pirate song ever sung and I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better, Eight Miles High, Turn Turn Turn, Mr Tambourine Man and So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star remind me of their greatest days in the 1960s.
Byrds fans may wish to check out for themselves, especially if found at a budget price.

40 Greatest Hits
40 Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars The Start Of Modern Country Music And Much More Besides., 4 July 2016
This review is from: 40 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
When Hank Williams recorded these songs from 1947 to his untimely death in 1953, I had not been born, but the 40 tracks clearly show what a great man of music he was.
To pick out the best of the best I would say, Cold Cold Heart, (I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle and I Saw The Light.
Basically Hank influenced a great deal of the 1950s/1960s music and beyond, so listen and hear a master at work.

Live in London 1968
Live in London 1968
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars For Fleetwood Mac Die Hard Fans Only., 29 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Live in London 1968 (Audio CD)
Fleetwood Mac originated in the UK in 1967 and have produced brilliant singles such as Albatross and Man Of The World, so why am I only giving 1 star?
Well the musicianship and recording standards are some of the poorest I have ever heard and, to cap it all, it appears that some or all the audience would rather talk among themselves than listen to the concert!
Enough said.

[100 Hits Legends] Crystal Gayle
[100 Hits Legends] Crystal Gayle
Offered by dvddirect2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Gayle Post 1978., 25 Jun. 2016
Crystal Gayle is a truly great Country singer, however on this 5 CD set she tends to sing in more of a Pop style.
Anyway top songs:
Crying In The Rain.
Three updates from original 1970s recordings.
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue.
Talking In Your Sleep.
When I Dream.
Amazing Grace.
Put Your Hand In The Hand.
Swing Low Sweet Chariot.
So not all 100 songs to my liking, but all delivered in a sincere and personal tone which his her own trademark.

Third Stage
Third Stage

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Boston Album Cover Yet?, 3 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Third Stage (Audio CD)
How on earth could Boston follow "Boston" and "Don't Look Back?"
In my opinion with great difficulty, as showed by this album from 1986.
There's the trademark Boston guitars in full force, but, to my ears, it's all somehow lacking forward impetus and is at risk of stalling.
Hard core Boston fans are likely to give this 5 stars,so it's worth a listen to decide for yourself.

24 Nights/Recorded Live At The Royal Albert Hall, London.   1990-1991
24 Nights/Recorded Live At The Royal Albert Hall, London. 1990-1991
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Recorded Live At The Royal Albert Hall, London, 1990 And 1991., 2 Jun. 2016
By the early 1990s Eric Clapton was in his mid 40s and showing no intention of stopping recording and performing, especially at The Royal Albert Hall.
On CD 1 top stuff:
And best on CD 2:
Bad Love.
Wonderful Tonight.
Bell Bottom Blues.
Edge Of Darkness (Instrumental).
In reality there's no rubbish here at all, so all Eric Clapton fans should enjoy it from start to finish.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20