Profile for J. Thompson > Reviews

Content by J. Thompson

J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Harmony Hits
Harmony Hits
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars All Tracks Recorded Beore 1972, Most Likely Original Recordings, But Not Conirmed., 17 May 2015
This review is from: Harmony Hits (Audio CD)
Doo Wop is not my usual music genre, but with The Tokens' The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh), that's another matter entirely.
It's quite difficult to explain, it really has to be heard to be appreciated.
Other good songs here are Don't Worry Baby, Little Hot Rod Suzie, Let's Go To The Drag Strip and The Wreck Of The John B.
It's very short at 25 minutes, but in this case I'd rather have quality than quantity.

Timepieces, Volume 2: Live In The '70s
Timepieces, Volume 2: Live In The '70s
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Live In The 1970s, This Is Defintely Right For Me!, 5 May 2015
Not too long ago I bought Timepieces Vol 1 and so much enjoyed it, I bought this as well.
Of the 8 tracks my choice as the best are Tulsa Time, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Presence Of The Lord and Blues Power.
There are times when Eric can do no wrong and this one of them!

1965 Classic Rock (22 Tracks) (UK Import)
1965 Classic Rock (22 Tracks) (UK Import)
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Year For Rock/Pop/Folk Rock Music., 28 April 2015
This CD provides some of the best music from 1965.
1. Mr Tambourine Man. The Byrds.
2. For Your Love. The Yardbirds.
3. In The Midnight Hour. Wilson Pickett.
4. The Tracks Of My Tears. The Miracles.
5. Just A Little. The Beau Brummels.
6. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'. The Righteous Brothers.
7. My Girl. The Temptations.
8. Wooly Bully. Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs.
9. Down In The Boondocks. Billy Joe Royal.
10. Help Me, Rhonda. The Beach Boys.
11. Baby, I'm Yours. Barbara Lewis.
12. Do You Believe In Magic? The Lovin' Spoonful.
13. I Can't Help Myself. The Four Tops.
14. Let's Hang On. Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons.
15. Hang On Sloopy. The McCoys.
16. Hear Full Of Soul. The Yardbirds.
17. Shotgun. Junior Walker And The All Stars.
18. I Got You Babe. Sonny And Cher.
19. Liar, Liar. The Castaways.
20. Back In My Arms Again. The Supremes.
21. This Diamond Ring. Gary Lewis And The Playboys.
22. A Lover's Concerto. The Toys.
I don't often listen through compilation from start to finish, but there's no problem with this great collection of original artists/recordings.

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars Radio Caroline Signiture Tune !, 18 April 2015
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
The Fortunes will always have a place in my heart for Caroline, which I heard many times on the pirate radio station of that name. The song just leapt out of the airwaves and, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the greatest from that era.
Here It Comes Again and You've Got Your Troubles are also top tracks. Much of the remainder were not known to me and there's hardly a bad song to be heard and therefore I rate this collection very highly.
So the 1963-1967 original artists/hits are here, without the later 1960s output, which I feel is inferior to this compilation.

Golden Mile / 5 Live Kursaals
Golden Mile / 5 Live Kursaals

5.0 out of 5 stars Southend's Own Kursaal Flyers First Two Albums On One Disc., 18 April 2015
This really is throwback to the mid 1970s after Glitter Rock and just before Punk Rock took off.
Apart from the total standout, Little Does She Know, there's plenty to enjoy, especially Radio Romance and the live Friday On My Mind.
Good stuff abounds, maybe only Drinking Socially, doesn't hit the mark with me.
Strangely Country Rock features on several tracks and that's no a problem to me.
This is good value and covers all the Kursaal's I need.

One & Only
One & Only

4.0 out of 5 stars Title Track Is A Fantastic Song., 15 April 2015
This review is from: One & Only (Audio CD)
If you recall 1991 it's likely you will remember the single The One And Only.
It really is my favourite track from the 1990s, having said that my preferred decades are the 1960s and 1970s.
Anyway this will remain in my collection forever, although the remainder are not top notch.

The Legendary Broadcasts 1969-1984
The Legendary Broadcasts 1969-1984

5.0 out of 5 stars 64 Minutes, 13 Songs, From 5 Different Broadcasts., 8 April 2015
When it comes to the greatest musical artists from the last 50 years, Elvis Presley and The Beatles will always be mentioned. However talented and influential they were, it' Bob Dylan who gets my vote.
From 1962 to the present day he has written, recorded and performed many, many masterpieces.
This album spans 15 years from 1969 to 1984, a long period in the life of any musician.
From 1969 I Threw It All Away is a super song, as is the duet with Johnny Cash, Girl From The North Country.
Then it's 1975's Oh, Sister and Hurricane are standouts.
1979 brings three superb songs, Gotta Serve Somebody, I Believe In You and When You Gonna Wake Up.
The 1980 Gotta Serve Somebody is not so good as the 1979 recording.
Finally from 1984 there's Don't Start Me Talkin', written by Sonny Boy Williamson ll and Bob's adaptations of License To Kill and Jokerman.
One word of warning, if you only want the studio versions, this won't be for you.
Overall I think the best recordings are the 3 from 1979, originally on the album Slow Train Coming.

Time Pieces: The Best Of Eric Clapton
Time Pieces: The Best Of Eric Clapton
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars Highlights From 1970 To 1978., 1 April 2015
Eric's career started way back in the mid 1960s and continues to this day.
With one or two exceptions, For Your Love as part of The Yardbirds and Presence Of The Lord as part of Blind Faith, the 1970s provide my favourite recordings.
Basically it's all good, however some songs are must haves!
Layla, the full album version is here and it must be one of the greatest love songs of the 1970s.
Let It Grow, another top love song.
Swing Low Sweet Chariot, deceptively simple version of a very old spiritual song.
Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan song given a reggae type approach, it works for me!
Wonderful Tonight, slow ballad that just shows what a great writer and singer he is.
This should be available at a very economical price, so I say, just get it!

I Can Hear Music
I Can Hear Music
Offered by KELINDO³

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Not All Plain Surfing!, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: I Can Hear Music (Audio CD)
16 songs from Del Shannon, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Manfred Mann and many others has the hope of a very good album. The problems do not arise from re recordings, as these are all original hits, but the way they are thrown together with little thought given to the Surf theme and being spread too thinly from the late 1950s to the mid 1970s.
As least it's on the Disky Label, which has a very good reputation, but then on my copy The Beach Boys I Can Hear Music is missing the all important intro!

Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids
Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids

3.0 out of 5 stars UK TV Themes From The 60s and 70s., 15 Mar. 2015
The 1960s saw a revolution in children's TV programmes from Fireball XL5 to Jo 90 and the music was all part of the package.
Add themes from Tunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stringray, Aqua Marina and The Mysterons, then you have some great memories to enjoy.
However, for me, the remainder, although of a good standard, just don't keep my interest.
So it's 3 stars from me and the cover is really great!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20