Profile for J. Thompson > Reviews

Content by J. Thompson

J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars Radio Caroline Signiture Tune !, 18 April 2015
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
The Fortunes will always have a place in my heart for Caroline, which I heard many times on the pirate radio station of that name. The song just leapt out of the airwaves and, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the greatest from that era.
Here It Comes Again and You've Got Your Troubles are also top tracks. Much of the remainder were not known to me and there's hardly a bad song to be heard and therefore I rate this collection very highly.
So the 1963-1967 original artists/hits are here, without the later 1960s output, which I feel is inferior to this compilation.

Golden Mile / 5 Live Kursaals
Golden Mile / 5 Live Kursaals

5.0 out of 5 stars Southend's Own Kursaal Flyers First Two Albums On One Disc., 18 April 2015
This really is throwback to the mid 1970s after Glitter Rock and just before Punk Rock took off.
Apart from the total standout, Little Does She Know, there's plenty to enjoy, especially Radio Romance and the live Friday On My Mind.
Good stuff abounds, maybe only Drinking Socially, doesn't hit the mark with me.
Strangely Country Rock features on several tracks and that's no a problem to me.
This is good value and covers all the Kursaal's I need.

One & Only
One & Only

4.0 out of 5 stars Title Track Is A Fantastic Song., 15 April 2015
This review is from: One & Only (Audio CD)
If you recall 1991 it's likely you will remember the single The One And Only.
It really is my favourite track from the 1990s, having said that my preferred decades are the 1960s and 1970s.
Anyway this will remain in my collection forever, although the remainder are not top notch.

The Legendary Broadcasts 1969-1984
The Legendary Broadcasts 1969-1984

5.0 out of 5 stars 64 Minutes, 13 Songs, From 5 Different Broadcasts., 8 April 2015
When it comes to the greatest musical artists from the last 50 years, Elvis Presley and The Beatles will always be mentioned. However talented and influential they were, it' Bob Dylan who gets my vote.
From 1962 to the present day he has written, recorded and performed many, many masterpieces.
This album spans 15 years from 1969 to 1984, a long period in the life of any musician.
From 1969 I Threw It All Away is a super song, as is the duet with Johnny Cash, Girl From The North Country.
Then it's 1975's Oh, Sister and Hurricane are standouts.
1979 brings three superb songs, Gotta Serve Somebody, I Believe In You and When You Gonna Wake Up.
The 1980 Gotta Serve Somebody is not so good as the 1979 recording.
Finally from 1984 there's Don't Start Me Talkin', written by Sonny Boy Williamson ll and Bob's adaptations of License To Kill and Jokerman.
One word of warning, if you only want the studio versions, this won't be for you.
Overall I think the best recordings are the 3 from 1979, originally on the album Slow Train Coming.

Time Pieces: The Best Of Eric Clapton
Time Pieces: The Best Of Eric Clapton
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Highlights From 1970 To 1978., 1 April 2015
Eric's career started way back in the mid 1960s and continues to this day.
With one or two exceptions, For Your Love as part of The Yardbirds and Presence Of The Lord as part of Blind Faith, the 1970s provide my favourite recordings.
Basically it's all good, however some songs are must haves!
Layla, the full album version is here and it must be one of the greatest love songs of the 1970s.
Let It Grow, another top love song.
Swing Low Sweet Chariot, deceptively simple version of a very old spiritual song.
Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan song given a reggae type approach, it works for me!
Wonderful Tonight, slow ballad that just shows what a great writer and singer he is.
This should be available at a very economical price, so I say, just get it!

I Can Hear Music
I Can Hear Music
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Not All Plain Surfing!, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: I Can Hear Music (Audio CD)
16 songs from Del Shannon, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Manfred Mann and many others has the hope of a very good album. The problems do not arise from re recordings, as these are all original hits, but the way they are thrown together with little thought given to the Surf theme and being spread too thinly from the late 1950s to the mid 1970s.
As least it's on the Disky Label, which has a very good reputation, but then on my copy The Beach Boys I Can Hear Music is missing the all important intro!

Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids
Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids

3.0 out of 5 stars UK TV Themes From The 60s and 70s., 15 Mar. 2015
The 1960s saw a revolution in children's TV programmes from Fireball XL5 to Jo 90 and the music was all part of the package.
Add themes from Tunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stringray, Aqua Marina and The Mysterons, then you have some great memories to enjoy.
However, for me, the remainder, although of a good standard, just don't keep my interest.
So it's 3 stars from me and the cover is really great!

If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars US Folk/Pop From 1966., 27 Feb. 2015
Musically the 1960s is very much a favourite of mine, often US artists more than UK ones. Bob Dylan, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Four Seasons and The Bobby Fuller Four to name just a few.
With the Mama's And Papa's I really like California Dreamin', Monday, Monday and to a lesser extent, I Call Your Name and In Crowd.
So overall it's 3 stars, but fans of their music shouldn't be put off by my rating, you are likely to want to listen from track 1 to 12 and enjoy it all.

My Generation
My Generation
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 Different Artists, One Mod CD To Enjoy., 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: My Generation (Audio CD)
In the mid 1960s a mixture Rock/Pop/Jazz sounds were produced in the UK and this CD, which you should be able to buy at an economic price, is a very good sampler.
Some songs like The Searchers' Needles And Pins and The Zombies' She's Not There are easy to find elsewhere, however some are less often heard. For example Pretty Things' Don't Bring Me Down, The Move's Night Of Fear and to top it all David McWilliams' The Days Of Pearly Spencer. It's a song which is hard to explain, it's just a total classic from 1967.
So for anyone who loves 1960s music,I recommend this very highly.

JUST LIKE ME TONY JACKSON GROUP
JUST LIKE ME TONY JACKSON GROUP

3.0 out of 5 stars Tony Jackson's Post Searchers Recordings., 18 Feb. 2015
Tony Jackson was a founding member of The Searchers, who burst on to the Mersey Beat scene in 1963. However he left the group in 1964, or maybe he was eased out by for not entirely clear reasons.
Anyway he formed Tony Jackson Group which lasted until 1967.
These are the songs:
1. You're My Number One.
2. Just Like Me.
3.Walk That Walk.
4. Watch Your Step.
5. This Little Girl Of Mine.
6. Stage Door.
7. I/m The One She Really Thinks A Lot Of.
8.Let Me Know.
9. Follow Me.
10. He Was A Friend Of Mine.
11. Fortune Teller.
12. Understanding.
13. Come On And Stop.
14. Love Potion #9.
15. Never Leave Your Baby's Side.
16. You Beat Me To The Punch.
17. That's What I Want.
18. Bye Bye Baby.
19. Shake.
20. Anything Else You Want.
First thing to say reproduction standards are quite high, these are mono recordings.
Best track for me is the opener, You're My Number One, a real Searcher's sound.
Love Potion #9 is not as good as The Searchers version and He Was A Friend of Mine is not as strong as the Byrds version.
However for any Tony Jackson fan this is a good find, so there's no reason why this couldn't be a 4 or 5 star album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20